never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
Geoffrey

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Geoffrey »

thanks. am in bed will write when tomorrow comes, as the eurhythmics might say.
Patrick Hasselbank

Post by Patrick Hasselbank »

Geoffrey wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:55 am "the trees they got much smaller, the lake a lady's mirror, when we stopped to drink some wine"
red needle.jpg
Oooooh! I need this poster!!!!! I will put it on the wall in front of my mini bar :lol:

"Salute mr. Cohen"
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

199Dan wrote:
>Wishes from Boston for a swift return of health.

much appreciated, 199Dan - thank you! you will be pleased to know i am improving day to day.
boston is a town with which i associate a tea party, and not the one hosted by a mad hatter. it is also documented in a bob dylan song called 'highlands' that a boston restaurant waitress tells customers that they probably want hard boiled eggs - even though they have none.

LisaLCFan wrote:
>Most of your favourite films are rather dark. I have seen all of those films: some of them I enjoyed immensely and have seen more than once, some of them I liked enough that I enjoyed watching them once but wouldn't go out of my way to see them again, and many of them I wish I'd never seen at all, for I seriously disliked them. For the most part, I would have a different list -- mine would be much brighter overall (but still with a bit of darkness here and there).

i am impressed that you've seen every film on that list. we can probably safely say that you and i are a couple of real film buffs, even though our tastes may differ a little. there are many i could have added, including comedies, but it would never be complete. these types of lists do reveal peoples' personalities. it's like looking through someone's record collection, reading the spines on their bookshelves or simply digesting the pictures on their walls. without further ado one is able to accurately ascertain that person's level of intellectuality. i know it's wrong, but i tend to have greater interest in anyone with an above average IQ - makes me feel more comfortable knowing that i am with a thinking person.

Patrick Hasselbank wrote:
>Oooooh! I need this poster!!!!! I will put it on the wall in front of my mini bar.
>
>"Salute mr. Cohen"

my goodness, i had to search for that one, the very first picture in this column. no idea where the original is after so long, but glad you liked this scan. a mini bar is something i have never owned. i envisage you living in a grand house with a library and a drawing room etc.
--------------------------------------------
"i saw you this morning, you were moving so fast!"
scooter.jpg
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending who-knows-what-ery

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:08 pm ...a mini bar is something i have never owned...

I've never owned one, either, but I have always fancied those globe-shaped ones that I've seen in movies. And, speaking of globes and movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqecdQyTFvM

Globe_mini-bar.jpg
Geoffrey

Re: never-ending who-knows-what-ery

Post by Geoffrey »

peter sellers, england's answer to jacques tati - one of the greats. i'm also very partial to steve martin, but he is not the same kind of comedy.

regarding a mini bar: it is not something i yearn for. norway is not only famous for having virtually outlawed cash (one almost never sees it), but wine and spirit is also very frowned upon, and only available in special shops with limited opening times. i have bought a bottle or two on occasion, usually dry white wine because of the lower calories, but do not really enjoy it as much as a glass of iced tea - and months can pass before another purchase. perhaps someone not tempted by alcohol is lucky, because frequent intake undoubtedly has the potential to irreparably damage one's body. advertisements for tobacco and alcohol are strictly forbidden, so norway is not a place for undisciplined, self-destructive people. here we get high from walking in the nature, looking at the fjords and breathing in the healthy mountain air.
mat james

Post by mat james »

howsad...
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending crockery

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:28 pm peter sellers - one of the greats. i'm also very partial to steve martin, but he is not the same kind of comedy...
Peter Sellers has always cracked me up -- really funny guy! I've never warmed to Steve Martin, though.
Geoffrey wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:28 pm ...norway is not a place for undisciplined, self-destructive people. here we get high from walking in the nature, looking at the fjords and breathing in the healthy mountain air.
Of course you do -- you and every other person who lives in Norway -- I am sure that you are all totally and absolutely virtuous in all of your lifestyle choices, never doing (or consuming) anything that might be even slightly unhealthy. I guess your shops don't sell crisps and sweets, frozen and/or prepared food/meals are not available in supermarkets, restaurants don't deep-fry anything, bakeries only sell whole-grain low-fat items, etc., because obviously all of the slim and ultra-fit, healthy people in Norway (i.e., everyone who lives there) would never eat -- let alone over-indulge on -- salty, fatty, processed, or sweetened food that has little or no nutritional value -- you know, the kinds of things that have the potential to damage one's body. :roll:
mat james wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:34 pmhowsad...
I was thinking more along the lines of "hogwash".
mat james

Post by mat james »

hogwash! :D

"...sweeping dust from his cabinet, my friend
unrolls a scroll and we forgot to eat or sleep,

pondering how a long-ago brush-tip soared,
how wine's wonder was only the beginning."

Tu Fu ( 760 C.E.)
Translated by David Hinton
The poem:
"...on Chang Hsu's Calligraphy shown to me by a friend"
1300+ year old poetry is somehow drifting in the now-long-ago-now, again-long ago...
sketch, poem, brush or pencil, calligraphy...

'...a long-ago brush-tip soared'

And is soaring still.
(what a beautiful line!!!)

very long-ago Leonard-Geoffrey, ...for this soaring-drifting-saunterer...

MatbellybuttongazerJ
Last edited by mat james on Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

thank you for the comments. uplifting to know i can still provoke ;-)
new year's eve.jpg
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending gullibillery

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:11 pm ...uplifting to know i can still provoke...
Geoffrey, you know very well that you are in an elite class when it comes to provocation. Your considerable skill in the area has elevated it to an art form -- you are undeniably a master when it comes to pushing people's buttons! (And, I am undeniably gullible for taking the bait as often as I do! ;-) ).
mat james

Post by mat james »

"provoke"

..provoke or inspire
two sides of a summer coin
tossed among Blue...

matbbgj
Geoffrey

Re: never-ending gullibillery

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:12 pm Geoffrey, you know very well that you are in an elite class when it comes to provocation. Your considerable skill in the area has elevated it to an art form -- you are undeniably a master when it comes to pushing people's buttons!
a complimentary message, laced with a little sarcasm - unless i am mistaken? in any case, give me anything but indifference. there was nothing untrue in what either of us wrote, so integrity remains. staying civil during conflicting opinions can be a verbal balancing act, an art at which i believe you and i excel.
------------------------------------
balancing act.jpg
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending ...

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:27 pm ...a complimentary message, laced with a little sarcasm - unless i am mistaken? ...
Close enough! It was mostly just an observation of one of your proclivities, and of one of mine (or perhaps two of mine: gullible and pedantic :) ). As for the sarcasm, as I have previously noted, I find it difficult not not be sarcastic -- nothing personal! It's all good, by the way -- no conflict!
its4inthemorning

Re: never-ending crockery

Post by its4inthemorning »

Lisa wrote, "Peter Sellers has always cracked me up..."

Could not let this pass without mentioning the hilarious satire "Being There," with Sellers as Chance the gardener (aka Chauncey Gardiner), Melvyn Douglas as presidential advisor Ben, and Shirley MacLaine as Ben's wife. Geoffrey, why is "Being There) not on your list?

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:07 pm i am aware that this area is for writing and pictures and stuff,
but let us see if we can tolerate a little deviation once in a while.
....and it seems I'm doing it too :)

4, It would appear you really do have ESP - you've been reading my mind again... or maybe I've been reading yours ;-)
I too was just looking at (deviating with) Geoffrey’s favourite movie list and recalling what mine were. I like a couple on his list – 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Exorcist. I do have a good sense of humour but I can’t recall a comedy film that stands out right now except for the last one on my list :razz:
These movies below I like are the first ones to spring to mind at the moment, I’m sure there’s more –

The Shawshank Redemption
All Quiet On The Western Front
The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons and Inferno – all 3 with Tom Hanks
Forrest Gump, Castaway and Philadelphia – all 3 with Tom Hanks
Doctor Zhivago
Amadeus
The Pianist
The Imitation Game
A Beautiful Mind
Good Will Hunting
The Sting
Rain Man
The Devil’s Adovcate
Meet Joe Black
The Sixth Sense
The X-Files (prefer the TV series)
King Creole
Dean Spanley
Finding Nemo
The Lion King
Shaun The Sheep (and the TV series)

Morgan Freeman is in the first movie I've listed and I really like him as an actor. Maybe it’s because we share the same birth date and we are both left-handed, ha! Although it’s not a movie, I’m currently watching a TV show with 8 series and many episodes that he hosts and narrates throughout called Through The Wormhole.
So interesting, so thought-provoking and varied!
Last edited by B4real on Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”