never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
Geoffrey

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:By the way, I would be more inclined to call those Koh-i-noor things "pencils" rather than "crayons" . . .
absolutely correct. wooden coloured pencils and wax crayons in modern english, but earlier (in british schools) they all tended to fall under the umbrella name of 'crayons' - and that has stayed with me. i even still wrongly associate the word 'crayon' as exclusively a child's art medium. if i were placed on a shelf at the supermarket my 'sell-by' date would long ago have expired ;-)

just came across this link:
https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions ... e-the-same

by the way, the reason i am online such a lot at the moment is because the authorities have put me on house arrest. something to do with a quarantine.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:41 am ...just came across this link...
Indeed -- and that corroborates both of our experiences. What was not mentioned is that most coloured pencils (the ones encased in wood) are also made of wax -- or at least, have wax as one of their ingredients (unless they are watercolour pencils, which have no wax in them), meaning that one could, technically, refer to both kinds of "crayons" that we have been discussing as "wax crayons".
Geoffrey wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:41 am ...the reason i am online such a lot at the moment is because the authorities have put me on house arrest. something to do with a quarantine.
Covid-19?
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:Covid-19?
indeed! good of you to enquire. on monday i spent some time with five people, all who have since tested positive with covid-19. i took the test myself today (thursday), and the result, so far at least, was negative. i can take it again in a couple of days :)
covid-19.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:50 am ...on monday i spent some time with five people, all who have since tested positive with covid-19. i took the test myself today (thursday), and the result, so far at least, was negative...
That's very concerning -- have you been vaccinated? I do hope that you continue to test negative (and that your five acquaintances will be okay), because the latest strain of the virus (Delta variant), if that's what it is, is much worse than previous strains. It has run rampant through my province over the past 2 or 3 months, killing hundreds of people (mostly unvaccinated idiots, plus a few unfortunate elderly who succumbed despite being vaccinated) and filling our hospitals beyond capacity. We even had to call in the military and seek assistance from other provinces to provide more health care workers and ventilators, because there weren't enough to handle all the sick Covid-19 patients. Nothing to smile about, I can assure you. :(
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey, I hope you continue to test negative! That’s scary :shock:
Stay safe, Lisa and everyone else for that matter. I'm OK where I live.

And on a lighter note, we were speaking recently about how long it takes us to paint a picture –
Bev wrote: I spend as long as it takes to accomplish my artwork whether that's 5 minutes or 5 days.
Geoffrey wrote: …. spending up to five days on a picture is impressive, you must really be dedicated to do that. i recently spent two days on a picture, the big one hanging in the police station, but it was only for an hour or two each day. i was so fed up with it after all that time.
You all may know this, but they say it took Leonardo da Vinci up to 12 years just to paint the smile of the Mona Lisa!! Some say the whole painting took up to 16 years and more to complete. So, by comparison we are speed painters :) By that measurement, Geoffrey's normal 5 to 30 minutes is as fast as the speed of light!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:42 am ...You all may know this, but they say it took Leonardo da Vinci up to 12 years just to paint the smile of the Mona Lisa!! Some say the whole painting took up to 16 years and more to complete. ..
That's really interesting -- if I'd heard that before, I'd forgotten. I am not fast with my pictures at all -- a bit quicker than old Leo, but far slower than Geoffrey. I tend to be slow and meticulous in almost everything I do, and I am never really aware of how much time has elapsed -- often hours -- which I only realise when my dogs come and give me a nudge to get my attention!

As for all that covid-19 business, things here have improved considerably since they reinstated a variety of public health measures for indoor public places -- masks, proof of vaccinations, etc.. At least most of us can get out and about a bit more -- go to concerts, theatres, cafes, classes, shops, art galleries, etc., and feel relatively safe knowing that unvaccinated plague-carriers will not be breathing on us.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

apologies for the silence. got knocked out, ended up in hospital, just a short stay but back home now. i'm not fine, but a little better. don't want to talk too much about it. let's change the subject.
solongleonard

Re: never-ending skull-thuggery

Post by solongleonard »

Hi Geoffrey, that sounds rotten What happened? I wish you all the very best, and that means a full and speedy recovery

Mike
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Hey, Geoffrey, you still there? You okay? Does anybody else know what's up?
B4real

Post by B4real »

I don't quite know what to say,
sincerely hope Geoffrey's OK ....
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

just weak.
nov.2021.jpg
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

Yes, it may be just a weak today since your announcement, but we are a caring group of artists here, so it is good to see you. I trust your recovery will continue.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Hey Geoffrey -- good to see you, but so sorry about the circumstances. Sending my best wishes, with two cheerful little tulips. Take care, and get well soon.
Lisa LCFan Pink Tulips.jpg
199Dan

Post by 199Dan »

I wish you a fast bounce back..... :)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Now I know what to say :)
Geoffrey, don't worry about us here, just do what everyone and the image below says -

Bird-Get-Well-Card.jpg
Bird off the wire ;-)

Also, Lisa has definitely brightened up this corner of the world and Geoffrey's hospital bed with her dazzling tulips!

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”