never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
B4real

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:47 pm do you enjoy autostereograms, too? lot of fun, but people get frustrated when unable to see anything. here is a well-known one that i think leonard might have appreciated ;-)
Ha! Yes! I have a book somewhere with these Magic Eye images in – lots of fun! I’ve had it for 20 years or so. I just went looking for it but I can’t find it. From memory it had a green cover with a 3D pic and inside about 30 images.
And yes, I agree that LC could have an affinity to the image. On tour in 1974-5 he sang an appropriate alternative word to one line in his song, "Is This What You Wanted" describing the image :)
Also, when we do see the image, could we be subject to a couple of original lines from "Born In Chains" ;-)

And an excellent video Geoffrey, lovely so see it also again!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:09 am
Geoffrey wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:47 pm do you enjoy autostereograms, too? lot of fun, but people get frustrated when unable to see anything. here is a well-known one that i think leonard might have appreciated ;-)
Ha! Yes! I have a book somewhere with these Magic Eye images in – lots of fun! I’ve had it for 20 years or so. I just went looking for it but I can’t find it. From memory it had a green cover with a 3D pic and inside about 30 images.
And yes, I agree that LC could have an affinity to the image. On tour in 1974-5 he sang an appropriate alternative word to one line in his song, "Is This What You Wanted" describing the image :)
Also, when we do see the image, could we be subject to a couple of original lines from "Born In Chains" ;-)

And an excellent video Geoffrey, lovely so see it also again!
i have that 'magic eye' book too, beverly - only mine has a red cover. interesting about the "appropriate alternative word", i am intrigued. he sang that song in brighton 1974, but i cannot recall any such word changes. will have to find my old casette tape-recorder.

i will have to admit i am not too familiar with a lot of leonard's later albums, although i thought the very last one was magnificent. not many people know this, but i became acquainted with leonard's work through his books, and considered his music a bonus. the first time we met i told him it was an honour to touch the actual fingers that typed 'favourite game' and 'beautiful losers'. he looked like he was amused by such an opening sentence.

as you seemed to enjoy seeing again the footage, here are the remaining videos from oslo 2013. as you can see, lifted mostly from a large screen - because their cameras provided multiple and better angles. i could have stolen more, but had been invited down to the 'green room' with marianne and jarkko after the concert and wasn't sure how much battery was left, especially as i had earlier been all around the city filming everything.

i will put these into hibernation again after a while, but if you are data-competent you can download them and watch as frequently as you wish. there are almost no videos, e-books or music streams that cannot be transferred without charge to one's harddisk if one possesses basic technical knowledge. rule number one is always 'never pay for anything!'. with a little perseverance one can even hack into some locked websites, but that invites trouble, and is not cool anyway. i have stopped doing that.

rehearsal:
la manic - https://youtu.be/_VxK5d8vzfo
choices - https://youtu.be/4-XyDXnI8t4
az der rebbe zingt - https://youtu.be/EC1KRAiufUE
--------------------------------------------------------
concert:
take this waltz - https://youtu.be/7P851LN_BKg
suzanne - https://youtu.be/DKuHAUb7pKk
going home - https://youtu.be/HvP0jkhvgwE
chelsea hotel - https://youtu.be/dm-n7-IfvLs
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:It is fun when my brain decodes what it is seeing and the three-dimensional image appears -- pretty cool.
this made me start thinking, because you are right - it is one's brain that is the driving force of what we do. i have often wondered why leonard cohen wrote "your heart was a legend" when it was janis joplin's brain that should have been given the credit. the heart is just an unemotional, mindless pump, is it not? naturally i am aware that ignorant people often confuse the heart with the brain, but one would have thought that an intelligent fellow like leonard would have known the difference. i suspect that leonard was fully aware, and merely considered the financial advantages of playing into the hands of the unlearned masses who purchase his work which - after all is said and done - was a business that put food on his table. that would explain everything.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:52 pm ...it is one's brain that is the driving force of what we do. i have often wondered why leonard cohen wrote "your heart was a legend" when it was janis joplin's brain that should have been given the credit. the heart is just an unemotional, mindless pump, is it not? naturally i am aware that ignorant people often confuse the heart with the brain...
While I cannot speak for the ignorant and unlearned masses (as to what they know or do not know), I do know that many "learned" people will speak of the heart in a purely figurative way, and in the manner to which you refer. For instance, I am fully aware of the fact that my heart is simply a mechanical pump, and yet, I have often thought and spoken of something being in my heart, or something making my heart soar (or ache), etc.. For me (and probably one or two others), my "heart" is simply a term that I give to that part of me that feels emotions deeply, and/or in which those emotions and feelings seem to reside, but again, only (or mostly) figuratively. I added the "mostly", because sometimes, when I feel things deeply and strongly, there certainly seems to be a physical sensation in my chest, roughly in the vicinity of my actual physical heart, which is sometimes quite real (my heart may actually and physically be pounding or racing), and sometimes it may be merely illusory, but nonetheless I still "feel" something in my chest more-or-less where my physical heart is.

And, of course, there is a vast history of the "heart" being considered to be the location/origin of our feelings and emotions and "soul" (and for some, all "mental" activity was ascribed to the heart, too), going back to Ancient Egyptian and Greek thought and society. And, as you well know, even after science determined that it was the brain, not the heart, that contained and controlled emotions, feelings, thoughts, etc. (which became the predominant scientific belief in and since the Renaissance), writers, poets, and many people in general continued to speak of the heart in the figurative way that persists to this day. As to how many of those people actually believed -- and still believe -- the heart to be the literal location and source of emotions/feelings, and how many knew/know that it was/is merely figurative, I have no idea and cannot possibly know.

I suppose that one could try to condition oneself to try to feel things within one's brain, and to speak of emotions and feelings as being in the brain -- basically, all those things which are often ascribed to the "heart" could be ascribed to one's brain as a matter of habit, and maybe eventually, one would actually think and feel those things as brain states. In fact, there is a school of thought known as "Eliminative Materialism", which asserts that everything we think and feel is in the brain, and, for the more radical proponents, not only should we never speak of something as being in our "hearts", but neither should we speak of "mental states" or "states of mind", for those terms (mental and mind) are equally inaccurate. Instead, say some Eliminative Materialists, we should think about and refer to everything as being in the brain and as a "brain state".

To some extent, I already do what the Eliminative Materialists suggest -- as you noted in my comment about autostereograms -- but, as I have happily and openly admitted, I am just as likely to speak of something (feelings, a person, a passion, etc.) as being in my heart, and I really don't have any problem with that. It depends on the context, too, as to when and to whom and why I am speaking/writing, as to whether I will use figurative or literal terms/language, or perhaps a combination of both (maybe hoping/assuming that the recipient(s) of my words will understand what I mean and how I am using language, if and when that matters). I think that is one of the joys of the complexities of the human brain, to be able to use language in many and varied ways, as well as to think of oneself and all aspects of oneself and one's life (and life and the universe in general), in complex and multifaceted ways that may or may not be accurate representations of reality (if we can even know that, anyway), but which nonetheless add spice and colour to the experience(s) of one's existence!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey wrote: interesting about the "appropriate alternative word", i am intrigued. he sang that song in brighton 1974, but i cannot recall any such word changes. will have to find my old casette tape-recorder.
Ha! I feel like I’m playing the picture game again ;-)
The official line in Is This What You Wanted is "You were the sensitive woman" which he did sing at Brighton 1974 but at some of those other concerts he sang, "You were the sensuous woman".
The two official lines in Born In Chains are, "But in the Grip of/Sensual Illusion".
Geoffrey wrote: ...not many people know this, but i became acquainted with leonard's work through his books...
I do remember you saying that before, so you may know that the title of his song Is This What You Wanted and its chorus are written in consecutive lines in one of his poems from The Energy Of Slaves.

btw - I’ve been downloading successfully for over 35 years :razz:

And the heart/brain discussion is always food for thought! Having just said that, it brings to mind that we also have a "brain" in our stomach/gut. Both mind and gut brains have an inseparable connection and do, in fact, "talk" to each other :) Gives a thoughtful meaning to you are what you eat, ha!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:38 am ...we also have a "brain" in our stomach/gut. Both mind and gut brains have an inseparable connection and do, in fact, "talk" to each other ...
Indeed, and this "gut brain" of which you speak is also known as the "enteric nervous system", or "enteric brain."

Having done a bit more research, I have also discovered some fairly recent research in a field called "neurocardiology", which shows that, in addition to our brain-brain and enteric-brain, we also have a heart-brain, and that all three of these brains interact with one another and contribute to our thoughts, feelings, decisions, and so much more. Therefore, we can, without ignorance or mere whimsy, speak of our hearts as doing far more than just mindlessly pumping blood!

Here is an excerpt from an interesting article on the subject (reference: "Head, Heart, and Gut in Decision Making: Development of a Multiple Brain Preference Questionnaire", by Grant Soosalu, Suzanne Henwood, and Arun Deo. March 18, 2019, SAGE Open Journal.)

"The heart contains a complex, functional and adaptive intrinsic neural network (Armour, 2007). Intracardiac neurons are concentrated in multiple heart ganglia, and the structure of the interactions between neurons, both within intracardiac ganglia and also between individual ganglia, provide the basis for the complex nervous network of the heart (both anatomically and functionally) and has been labeled by researchers in the new field of neurocardiology as a functional “brain” (Ardell, 2004; Brack, 2014; Kukanova & Mravec, 2006; D. Randall, 2000; C. Randall, Wurster, Randall, & Xi-Moy, 1996).

Dr. J. Andrew Armour (1991), a pioneer in this field, has undertaken extensive research and introduced the concept of the intrinsic cardiac network as a functional “heart brain.” His work demonstrated a complex intrinsic nervous system in the heart, that is deemed sufficiently sophisticated to qualify as a “little brain” in its own right (Armour, 2007). The complexity of the neural circuitry in the heart allows independent action, separate from the cranial brain. Armour (1991) has demonstrated the ability of the heart to learn independently, it has its own memories, and it can feel and sense information. This information from the heart is sent to the brain through a variety of different afferents, including autonomic afferents. These afferent nerves enter the brain at the medulla, and from there are dispersed to the higher centers of the brain, where they may have a variety of influences including in the context of perception, decision making, and other cognitive processes (Armour, 2004; Thayer, 2007). In Thayer’s (2007) work on neurovisceral integration, he has shown how the heart influences neural structures in the head–brain deeply involved in cognitive, affective, and autonomic regulation."

Fascinating stuff, eh wot?
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hei. not so much time, but wanted to acknowledge the messages. i didn't remember the 'silly girl' ending, bev - but found it by using marie's wonderful online concordance. am still not wholly convinced about this 'heart' business, though accept, of course, that in "figurative" speech the corruption of its definition is here to stay - and was surely in trelawny's thoughts when he ripped out shelley's heart 200 years ago.

another thing is that when one learns a new language one tends to be more conscious of the words being used, rather than just repeating them parrot fashion. in my childhood, an extremely rural environment, i spoke broad gloucestershire dialect, but in my mid-teens was sent to my father at eastbourne. huge culture shock, everyone seemed to talk posh, and making myself completely understood was a struggle. later, being accepted in a school at lillehammer, it was necessary to start over yet again. one can be pedantic by nature, but with such a history i fear that one can easily be hyperalert to, and question, the words people use. that is my excuse ;)

be back later, and may continue on this theme. though, having been cursed with a grasshopper mentalitet, staying on one particular subject for a long time is not generally my forte.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:13 pm [1] ...am still not wholly convinced about this 'heart' business...
[2]...staying on one particular subject for a long time is not generally my forte.
1. Me neither, although I am open to possibilities that may change my beliefs if the evidence is compelling enough. Science is constantly evolving, both with new research as well as with new technologies that make new types of research possible, all of which can, and sometimes does, change what people know and understand about any given thing. Some well-established (and probably a few not-so-well-established) scientific beliefs from the past have become as much a part of the cultural fabric as those folk-science/poetic notions about the heart, and which many people may simply accept as fact, and yet, modern/contemporary research sometimes casts serious doubt on some of them, if not refuting them altogether. Therefore, it is perhaps wise to assess one's scientific beliefs from time to time, to do some reading on new research, and thus, to ascertain if those old beliefs are still as viable as they were, or whether they may need some alterations, and perhaps they should be discarded altogether, depending on what has transpired in the realm of science since those original beliefs were formed.

2. Indeed.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

indeed, indeed. our consciousness is in our heads. one can also call it 'the mind'. there can be no such thing as a soul, of course, unless one believes in the paranormal. in reality the heart is merely the centre of something, whether that be the middle of a galaxy or a person's chest. anatomically, a living heart never touches another person - at least not in the literal sense - though it is possible to 'touch' (read 'influence') a body with one's mind - as is stated in leonard's song 'suzanne'.

it's the middle of the night here, endless violent storms. have had to tie down the table and chairs on the balcony. unable to tolerate the noise of them blowing around all the time. did a portrait some days ago for an author to use to illustrate the inner sleeve of his newest book which is soon ready for publishing. lots of people ask for these things, and i seldom do it. the drawback with being good at doing portraits is that everybody wants to be the next subject - and it quickly becomes work. remember that part in 'the favourite game' when krantz asked breavman to look after his pet rat while he was away on holiday? yes, disastrous conclusion. "feeding rats is work." - wrote leonard. that's how i feel when asked to feed someone's ego by doing their portrait. it's so boring. anyone who never asks stands a much better chance of becoming blessed. i only did this one below because the guy recently drove all the way up from haugesund to deliver some artwork that i had won in a competition. admittedly he had another errand to do while in ålesund, but i was touched that he had thought of me.

it's 03:45 here, tempest raging. the huge window in my lounge keeps bending inwards. i am eating hot bacalhao while reading the news about prince andrew.
there ain't nothin' more dangerous in this world than a fool with a cause.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:45 am ...i am eating hot bacalhao...
That is a nice very reminder of two wonderful holidays that I spent in Portugal! (Maybe some day, international travel will again be more feasible -- I do miss it dreadfully. :cry: )
Geoffrey wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:45 am ...the drawback with being good at doing portraits is that everybody wants to be the next subject - and it quickly becomes work...
I know what you mean: there is a big difference between doing something that one loves on one's own terms and whenever one is inspired to do so, versus being obligated to do it when (and how) another person demands it to be done. I once thought that getting paid for doing my passion/hobby might be fun -- but on the contrary, it took most of the enjoyment out of it, for, as you say, it just became work (and I never liked work!).

Hope the storm has passed! Cheers.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

thank you so much for the comments, and apologies for so little output at the present time. seldom at home, and when i am people with me. lots of parties and socialising, perhaps even more so than boris johnson. it's good for one's mental health to have a container in which to throw the hatred that is picked up, so thank you to him for keeping us sane - also to prince andrew. we seem to have a little albert pierrepoint inside of us, desperate to break free, like that naughty little chestburster that decided to join the nostromo dinner guests. lucky is the loser who has a scapegoat in their life, for them every day is a foinavon day!

gale forecast for this afternoon, about 5pm. another party for me from 4pm - so will probably stay there until it passes. catch you later :)
i have said consistently and frequently that we never had any sort of sexual contact.jpg
you will know my name is the lord when i lay my vengeance upon thee.jpg
ms spock
where no man has gone before.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

climb on your tears and be silent, like a rose on its ladder of thorns
he hit me with his belt but his tears were all I felt.jpg
i practced on my sainthood, i gave to one and all
i need you to really feel the twist of my back breaking.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Oh, I like purple Leonard -- very nice!

As for "Ms. Spock", unless she lived a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away, she is much more likely to be associated with the phrase, "Live long and prosper", rather than "May the force be with you" -- sci-fi nerds all over the world will be cringing at your conflation of fictional universes! ;-)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:15 pm Oh, I like purple Leonard -- very nice!

As for "Ms. Spock", unless she lived a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away, she is much more likely to be associated with the phrase, "Live long and prosper", rather than "May the force be with you" -- sci-fi nerds all over the world will be cringing at your conflation of fictional universes! ;-)
thank you for liking purple leonard.

as for 'ms spock', i know only of the actor leonard nimoy, and having little to no knowledge of either 'star trek' or 'star wars' have probably mixed up the quotation. however, it pleases me to know that i may have attracted the attention of people all over the world. who could ask for anything more, as judy garland used to say. sometimes, though, i regret concentrating so much on consciousness, things like the string theory or the true nature of reality when i could have studied more important things - like you.

they become naked in their different ways, and they say: "look at me, leonard!"
oh won't you let me see . . . your naked body.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:23 pm ...sometimes, though, i regret concentrating so much on consciousness, things like the string theory or the true nature of reality when i could have studied more important things - like you...

I am flattered that you think that I am an important thing worthy of study -- even more important than those other subjects you've listed -- you are very kind. Of course, false humility aside, I can certainly understand why you would feel that way -- after all, I am an incredibly fascinating person, and who wouldn't want to study me? As for your regret in not concentrating your studies on me, I was actually under the impression that you already had -- and that perhaps you continue to do so with every post that I write -- which is how you were able to create your psychological profile of me. :)

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”