never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
Geoffrey

Re: never-ending gallery

Postby Geoffrey » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:50 am

LisaLCFan wrote:Thank you for the clarification, but of course, I did allow for the possibility that Leonard was not actually a convert to bee pollen with my parenthetical "and/or he thought that you should be!". He was, after all, apparently trying to get rid of the stuff, by sending it all to you! ;-)
yes, that is quite correct.

a friend who lives nearby asked me some days ago if i'd like to have his encyclopaedia britannica. he sounded like a salesman: "they are virtually new, pristine condition, leather bound!" he exuded. he was moving house, apparently, didn't want anything for these magnificent volumes (over 30 of them, i believe), they were all quite free. i thanked him for thinking of me, but disappointed him by declining his kind offer.

i am not sure of the psychology behind it, but i know it takes less guts to give something away for free than to simply throw it in the bin. one's good conscience remains intact, and perhaps this encyclopaedia business resembles a sort of parallel to the pollen my postman kept delivering.

leonard's friend at the honey factory kept sending him boxfuls of pollen because he (leonard) didn't have the heart to say he didn't really want it - so he kept giving it to me. i, in turn, pushed it on to anyone in my circle who'd have it. so yes, leonard did "get rid of the stuff" by sending it to me, and by doing so eased his conscience - and meant well. i also meant well when i passed it on to others, like the widow who brought her late husband's tuxedo to me as a gift a while ago. it would have meant more if it had been something she didn't want to give away.
beekeeper.jpg
bee.jpg
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:34 pm

attempt at digital painting :-(
data palette.jpg
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:27 pm

It is interesting how the coloured version of this portrait changes my perception of it. To me, Leonard looks so doleful in the grey-scale version, appearing to be staring off into space, perhaps lost in abysmal thoughts. This new version changes his expression, replacing it with one that seems, to me, to be more probing (even tinged with skepticism), although it is somewhat unsettling in the intensity of his stare, which now appears to be directed more towards the viewer. He does not look pleased, in either one.
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:23 pm

LisaLCFan wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:27 pm
It is interesting how the coloured version of this portrait changes my perception of it. To me, Leonard looks so doleful in the grey-scale version, appearing to be staring off into space, perhaps lost in abysmal thoughts. This new version changes his expression, replacing it with one that seems, to me, to be more probing (even tinged with skepticism), although it is somewhat unsettling in the intensity of his stare, which now appears to be directed more towards the viewer. He does not look pleased, in either one.
well, it didn't turn out exactly as planned, and there was considerable hesitation before posting this coloured version. unfortunately i am more or less unschooled in the business of portraits, haven't a clue about colour balance, which is why there are so many black and white pictures. colour is such a complicated science, one needs knowledge of wavelengths and frequencies, and many people take it for granted and never question why or how such a beautiful phenomenon exists.

it is flattering and heartwarming to know that someone of your stature studies these efforts of mine in such depth, and it is important to me that you know how much i value your remarks, regardless of positive or negative. i accept what you wrote a short while ago ("words are empty, just representations"), even though the child in me wants to believe they are filled with meaning. i thought much about what you wrote, looked at the opening of john's gospel ('in the beginning was the word'), read leonard's how to speak poetry ('the word butterfly is not a real butterfly') - people have been executed for vocalising the wrong sound. but after reading your entire message again, instead of just 'cherry picking', i concluded that i wasn't being 'trolled', and that you were onto something.

an american publisher is to give out a volume (something to do with leonard), and has approached me for permission to use a colour picture from a couple of years ago. no money will change hands, but i did ask if it would be possible to receive a copy of the book. maybe i should try harder with colour.
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:17 am

I actually liked the colour portrait better than the black and white one. :)
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:53 am

Geoffrey wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:23 pm
.... i accept what you wrote a short while ago ("words are empty, just representations"), ... i thought much about what you wrote, i concluded ...that you were onto something...
I am genuinely pleased that you thought about what I wrote and acquired some new insight from it. I think that you can add Shakespeare to the list of those who recognise that it is the essence of something in itself that has the deepest and most profound meaning, not the words we use to represent it: "That which we call a rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet". In fact, a rose would smell as sweet if it had no name at all, and if nobody said a word about it -- the word does not have a lovely scent nor a beautiful colour, nor does the word bring a smile to the face of a person who receives a lovely bouquet -- it is the rose itself that has the meaning and the impact.

Words are useful, of course (I rather like to use them!), and sometimes they are essential, being the most efficient and effective means to convey something to another person, be it an idea, a thought, an emotion, an experience, a description of an object, etc.. Words can also be enjoyable, interesting, thought-provoking, touching, provocative, hurtful, upsetting, etc., at least insofar as to what they convey and how they convey it (and, some people are better than others in using words, for good or bad).

But there is also much that lies beneath and beyond words, which must be grasped by other means. For instance, if one listens to beautiful instrumental music, such as a Beethoven string quartet, one can acquire such a tremendous amount of meaning from the music, it can produce intense emotions, physical reactions, and it can even open up new ways of experiencing and understanding the world and oneself. Listening to instrumental music can be such a profound experience, and yet it has no words whatsoever, nor can words accurately or even meaningfully convey what it is like to experience such music -- it is only in having the actual experience of it that one can truly understand what it is like. And that is what I was talking about in my original discussion -- that there are experiences and understandings that cannot be acquired by just reading words about them.

On to another topic: Please do tell us more about this book -- "something to do with Leonard" -- if you wish! Folks around here seem interested in that sort of thing! ;-)
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:34 pm

apropos beethoven:
roll over beethoven.jpg
when leonard and i were at a festival near my home in 2009, we went into the dinner tent. he chose cod, new potatoes and mixed vegetables. while eating i asked if i should write about our day together. he paused as he lifted his fork and said: "just write about the food, it's delicious!" i never did, but took many pictures :-)
dinner 1.JPG
dinner 2.JPG
Last edited by Geoffrey on Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:47 pm

LisaLCFan wrote:
>Please do tell us more about this book -- "something to do with Leonard" -- if you wish! Folks around here seem interested in that sort of thing! ;-)

it's supposed to be coming out early november. all things inspired by leonard, poetry, prose, short stories, pictures, things like that. i have nothing to do with it apart from the cover, an old picture:
man in chair.jpg
leonard had vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries and a little piece of chocolate pudding.
pudding 1.JPG
pudding 2.JPG
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending galley

Postby LisaLCFan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:46 pm

Geoffrey wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:34 pm
... i asked if i should write about our day together. he paused as he lifted his fork and said: "just write about the food, it's delicious!" i never did, but took many pictures...
I find myself wishing that you'd written about -- and photographed -- Leonard, or almost anything else, instead.

I have often found that food tastes better than it looks -- your many food photos seem to confirm that (assuming that the food in question is, in fact, delicious).
solongleonard

(befo)Re you ask- 23 minutes

Postby solongleonard » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:37 am

God-free took Lenny down to his plaice and his liver
You can hang the coats nearby, you can tend the sheep forever
And you know that he's half-hungry but that's why you want to be there
And he feeds you wee and bananas that come all the way from Bunnpris
And just when you mean to tell him that you have no glove to give him
His hand falls off from frostbite
And he lets the river answer that you've always been his liver
And you want to unravel with him, and you want to unravel cheese-rind
And you know that he will toast you
For you've torched his perfect smorgasbordy with your rind
And Lisa was a tailor when she walked upon your daughter
And she spent a long time sewing, for more than half an hour
And when she sewed a curtain, only frowning men could see her
She said all men will be tailors then until they shall shorten the hem
But she herself was broken, not a krone for the car park token
He’s fresh when he’s awoken, almost Paul Newman, he sank his teeth into your wisdom teeth like a snog
Jean Fournell

Postby Jean Fournell » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:41 am

... for a while
... for a little while...

(Just a filthy beggar guessing / What happens to the heart)
solongleonard

Postby solongleonard » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:00 am

Worms, your go
Jean Fournell

Postby Jean Fournell » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:16 pm

Last edited by Jean Fournell on Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

... for a while
... for a little while...

(Just a filthy beggar guessing / What happens to the heart)
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:33 pm

Jean Fournell wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:41 am
Words...
solongleonard wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:00 am
Worms, your go
Swarm, your go
Sideways

Postby Sideways » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:46 pm

shawarma * your go

* an Hydra food speciality, dairy free and no more than an average of 3 vegans die in the making of 2 shawarmari*

* plural of shawarmas
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”