never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
Geoffrey

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>Would you have to buy another 25 pens for all the other letters of the alphabet?

yes, one needs a complete set. the norwegian alphabet actually has 29 letters, but compared to the poor cambodians (with 74) i feel it would be wrong to complain. at the moment, when writing longhand, i have to avoid words like 'possessionlessnesses' - a real challenge.

>And, does this "s-pen" also do an "S", in capital? I know that you abhor capital letters, but if this new pen only works for a lower case "s", then that's another 26 pens to buy (on top of the first 26!) for those of us who still adhere to tradition!

no, because capital letters are not really necessary, and they use so much ink. they were basically invented for the less gifted amongst us, to explain that 'susan' or 'london', for example, are names of people or places. in the norwegian language capital letters are gradually disappearing ( https://youtu.be/Ck7RYlOzoM0 ), as happened with the apostrophe - a superfluous little whatsit that was always far too complicated for brits to correctly master. this is one of the reasons i chose to live in norway, the others being that it is listed as one of the happiest and least religious countries in the world - a coincidence i am sure ;)
humans.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

:)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

As exemplified in my previous post, not only are capital letters disappearing, but so are words. Why bother trying to learn and remember all those combinations of letters (let alone having complex thoughts), when a little cartoon picture can express everything one could possibly want to say in any given circumstance?

Perhaps that is why one sees so many people communicating through those little hand-held devices, but not actually speaking to one another (I recall a recent sketch of yours to that effect) -- perhaps they are losing the ability to use words altogether.

If one contemplates this situation, it appears as though human evolution is reverting to a much earlier time, in which our simple-minded ancestors were able to "speak" through stick pictures on cave walls, prior to the development of language (and higher brain functions). Is that so different from using emoji? Are humans (or at least, some of them) de-evolving? I think there may be some evidence to support that hypothesis!

You, however, still seem to have a good grasp of language, even if you don't use capitals or apostrophes, so you're probably safe, even with your bag of pens! ;-)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

an opinion i have long held is that discovering a thinking person as impeccably articulate as yourself is as rare an experience as finding gloves in a glove compartment - it almost never happens. you must please excuse me if what i write causes embarrassment, but it is a pity to only think something positive about a person and not tell them - so i say it.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:22 pm an opinion i have long held is that discovering a thinking person as impeccably articulate as yourself is as rare an experience as finding gloves in a glove compartment - it almost never happens. you must please excuse me if what i write causes embarrassment, but it is a pity to only think something positive about a person and not tell them - so i say it.

I quite agree about the rarity of the experience. And thank you for your kind sentiments!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

. . . and there were cripples, and people in wheelchairs and crutches,
and it was snowing - and i got this sense that the whole city was singing
oh please, don't pass me by!
crutches.jpg
solongleonard

Post by solongleonard »

Dear Lisa, thank you for all your drawings.

Dear Geoffrey there is an old saying in English, "trousers can travel half way round your waist while you are still putting on your shoes".

The connection with this thread is, of course, rather obvious!
SOME PEOPLE NEVER GO CRAZY.
WHAT TRULY HORRIBLE LIVES
THEY MUST LEAD
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

I find it difficult, Solong, to select the worst parts of our marriage but your obsessive behaviour with trousers and boots deserves at least a mention.
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Last edited by Sideways on Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending foolery

Post by LisaLCFan »

Sideways wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:03 pm I find it difficult, Solong, to select the worst parts of our marriage but your obsessive behaviour with trousers and boots deserves at least a mention.

Perhaps you are being unreasonably critical. I should think that it is preferable that Solong prefers trousers and boots/shoes, rather than running about without them. That is not an image that anyone wants to contemplate. And, what would the neighbours say?
Sideways

Re: never-ending foolery

Post by Sideways »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:38 pm
Sideways wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:03 pm I find it difficult, Solong, to select the worst parts of our marriage but your obsessive behaviour with trousers and boots deserves at least a mention.

Perhaps you are being unreasonably critical. I should think that it is preferable that Solong prefers trousers and boots/shoes, rather than running about without them. That is not an image that anyone wants to contemplate. And, what would the neighbours say?

Dear Ms Fan, you were not part of this marriage and you must have hesitated long before commenting on such a private matter.

By way of sharp contrast, discretion and respect for personal matters are 2 of my many excellent qualities. So, whilst you stamp heavily on matters as personal as marital footwear and marital garments, I glide delicately away from any such appalling breach of confidence. I guess we are rather different morally and ethically.

You seek support from unnamed neighbours, yet you seem ignorant of the long established Legal Maxim - neighbour disputes are the hardest to resolve as the parties are always arguing from different premises . Or perhaps you better know this saying in your native Norwegian as "god morgen. vil du ha en fin kopp te"

You need to learn that it is impossible to be "unreasonably critical" of solong. He is a serial twat. Many days he is "uten sko eller bukser".
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Sideways wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:38 pm Dear Ms Fan...

Please, it's "Dr" Fan.

Sideways wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:38 pm ... neighbour disputes are the hardest to resolve as the parties are always arguing from different premises ....

Now, that's funny! One doesn't hear a lot of logic humour. :D

Give my best regards to solong, med eller uten sko eller bukser.
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

in 22 years of marriage I never saw solong without boots and trousers. I do not wish to discuss this any further. Thank you for respecting my privacy, Geoffrey. Prof.Fan, good luck with your sketches.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

surprise at 1:10 :-)
https://youtu.be/8_j55sE5pM0
best viewed with a guinness in one's hand ;-)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

charcoal, while under the influence of valdobbiadene prosecco superiore :(
two of those wonderfully fattening chocolate eclairs, please sam.jpg

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”