Open Season on the Lousy Little Poets.

This is for your own works!!!
Heretic

Open Season on the Lousy Little Poets.

Postby Heretic » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:47 pm

DEMPSTER : We have no right to abuse this tragedy; for bad as it is, how vain should either of us be to write one not near so good.
JOHNSON : Why no, Sir; this is not just reasoning. You may abuse a tragedy, though you cannot write one. You may scold a carpenter who has made you a bad table, though you cannot make a table. It is not your trade to make tables.

Boswell's Life of Johnson
Here endeth the truce.
linmag

Postby linmag » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:58 pm

Johnson is a little simplistic here. It's comparatively easy to judge whether a table is good or not. It's much more difficult to define what constitutes a 'good' poem.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
Moonlight

Postby Moonlight » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:08 pm

Everyone here (with a few notable exceptions) keeps saying you can't define what a good poem is...well, can anyone tell me what constitutes 'bad" poetry?

M
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Postby Byron » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:20 pm

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Moonlight's a pain
And hairy tick too. :wink:
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
LaurieAK

What is bad poetry?

Postby LaurieAK » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:01 pm

Moonlight, i will put in my 2 cents in regards to Bad Poetry:

Bad poetry. An Opinion.

Something that tries too hard to be something it is not.

Something that does not say what it insinuates.

Uses metaphor not congruent with the subject or context of the theme.

Pays no attention to assonance/alliteration.

A lack of judgement by the writer to know how/when to edit. An inspired/found line is not necessarily clever or fitting. Sometimes a poem needs to be struck down to a single line or stanza and started again. A painful process but oh so necessary.

Incessant rhyme schemes that lull and rely on convenience instead of inspiration.

Syllabic non-conformity when the structure of the poem should adhere to one. Counting the line "beats" can really make a big difference.

"Formal" poetry has much to teach about free-verse. No experience/knowledge in the olde ways leaves too much space for self-indulgence and ability to edit will suffer.

Again, all this is just an opinion. And also does not mean my poems are not bad. I have come the realization my poems are pretty much "bad" even though I have some self taught knowledge and higher learnin' input in regards to poetry. Not all paintings are in the Louvre. But painters good or bad will still find solace in their art, primitive or sublime.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:25 am

Hi Laurie ~

Thanks for your great exposition on "Bad Poetry. An Opinion." Of course, I felt it incumbent upon Moonlight to provide us such an exposition, Moonlight being the self-acclaimed, resident expert on such matters.

At any rate, your excellent thoughts on it may now be co-opted by Moonlight :wink: .

~ Lizzy
George.Wright

Postby George.Wright » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:33 am

what does Hairy Tick feel on life?
for he has not lived it
an open season on poets?
he feels like Germany
or worse still Spain
who executed their poets on a moonlight field
for being the enemies of love.

This Board is about freedom of expression
without fear of depression.
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
greta

Postby greta » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:08 pm

1: we need bad poetry Without bad poetry how could we decide which poems are good? If all poems were good, wouldn't life be boring? All we could say would be: great poem, good work etc.
2: This forum is meant for amateurs. That is why these poems are rough and "bad"
3: This forum is meant for amateur poets, therefore the critics are most probably also amateurs.
4: In my opinion poetry is written for expressing one's feelings not written to be liked.

Anyways, i''ll try to continue posting my bad poetry. if you'll say it sucks i won't be offended: i know it sucks myself
Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:11 pm

And quite right you are Greta..... not your 'poems suck bit' but the other points :D
It has been said before about the purpose of this section but obviously some need reminding.

Heretic mentions ending a truce!
From what I remember it was he who called a truce to not visit the poetry section. It may not need more than one person to agree on a truce but I am sure he is free to break his own truce.
If our poetry offends then look the other way. :)

Pete
p.s. it's about time I wrote another poem.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:43 pm

Yes, it would seem to me we have a voyeur on the premises......or a disempowered sniper. Either way, Heretic is the name. On declarations from out of the past, shall we say, "Famous last words......."?
Hermitage

Postby Hermitage » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:13 am

This Board is about freedom of expression
without fear of depression.
Georges
Freedom of expression goes both ways. You can't argue in favor of freedom of expression and then try to silence your critics.

Besides, freedom of expression is hardly the issue in these threads, so it's a little overdramatic to suggest otherwise. After all, no one can really stop anyone else from saying what they want here, other than Jarkko. What you really are asking for, I think, is the ability to post whatever you like and the power to block out responses you find disagreeable. Hopefully that will never happen here.

What is appropriate, however, is a modicum of self-censorship. That is, those who post should do so responsibly.

Hermitage

[/quote]
George.Wright

Postby George.Wright » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:51 pm

hermitage, that is not what i said. I think all the old members of the board have recognised that Partisan/Starfish/Heretic announced that he would no longer "visit" this section of the forum. It appears he has gone back on his word, which is no surprise. The sniping season appears to have opened up again. I DO NOT advocate censorship.
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
Avalon

Postby Avalon » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:24 pm

I think that it is time we shot wright, for his crimes to civilised poetry!
Avalon
I am the one
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:02 pm

I know that that's what I was referring to.....proclamations that he "NEVER" visits because it's so terrible here! Different phrasings; always words to that effect.
Mark B.

Postby Mark B. » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:24 pm

Aren't Partisan and Heretic two different people? I agree with both of them. The lousy poets are vain. That is why they post their poems. George does not want honest feedback. Shall we dance is one of the lousest poems I have ever read. Witty Owl goes to other sections and directs readers back to his poems in the poetry section. Vanity. I wish LC would be more vain and give us more poems and also get his facelift!

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”