I'll not love again

This is for your own works!!!
Violet

Re: I'll not love again

Post by Violet »

.. hi I.F... I love the Don Juan lore.. (he's so god awful funny)... Alas, I've yet to see Smithson's Spiral Jetty, or any of the other significant earth work sites scattered about the West.. some day, it would make a nice trip, I think, to have those as stopping points, if not destinations..

.. my little paraphrased Don Juan quote (and it goes well with yours, actually) is in answer to Carlos' question as to whether Don Juan believed in fate or predestination, specifically as to whether there was a pre-ordained moment to die.. Don Juan told Carlos that he believed that there was, but that he still should be careful anyway, since accidents do happen.. (!)..

.. (take note, Casey!) ;-)

v. xxx
Violet
Casey Butler

Post by Casey Butler »

Let's see, so I should avoid yellow tape, clouds that appear to have wings, snorting horses, and Ravens depicted on tombstones?

And smilies...

And LSD...

And tie my shoes impeccably...

I think you're giving the LSD your boyfriend took far too much credit, Violet. I think it was your humility that changed the man.

And once changed... well... you're a woman, you know. :-) :-) :-)

Avidly awaiting Part 2. :-)

Casey
Casey Butler

Post by Casey Butler »

Hi I.F.,

Thanks for the encouragement... and I never thanked Cate for posting those photos during the crisis so Violet could see, so thanks too, Cate.

As for your literary reference, I fear I am not capable of briding the gap between the literate and the unlettered, much as I'm sure I would enjoy the compiled wisdom of the ages as perceived by people who fly regularly over the Great Salt Lake (in aircraft).

Violet thinks it's unusual to see petroglyph-like symbols in clouds, for example, yet a pilot flying (an aircraft) over the Great Salt Lake might not think it unusual at all.

Casey
Violet

Post by Violet »

.. okay.. this is just a little intermission of sorts..

.. I took just the tiniest itsy bitsiest bite of a peyote button, thinking, well, since I read all of Casteneda's books I'd probably fare alright..

.... strangely.. I was sucked to none other than Bangor, Northern Ireland.. I do think Georges had a hand in this.. he keeps trying to lure me there, it seems..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBTy5w0r4LI
FULL SCREEN..

.. anyway, it was a lot more exciting I thought than that last (virtual) trip I took to that dampish dankish region of dampish dankishness*..

.. I'll be back, Casey, once this wears off.. (hopefully
having learned a thing or two)..
v I
o L E
t.. f . l .. o.... w .. e . r. **

* .. if you're unfortunate enough to be interested, you'll have to scour a little thread known as Colonial Suicide for that rain soaked misadventure..
** .. it's hard to write one's name impeccably while on acid.. actually, it's hard to write 'impeccably' period..

edit.. "rain soaked".. seemed the necessary qualifier here..
Last edited by Violet on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Violet
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright »

Hi Violet,
That video was a trip ( excuse the cheap pun ) from Newtownards to Bangor although I think the driver had a strong cactus juice. Now you have seen our future love nest through, ........well what can I say,......... different eyes. The last clip was a bit damp but actually passed my appartment. I send my Love.........

Love Georges xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
Violet

Post by Violet »

.. baby, are you sure we shouldn't just move to New Mexico?..

.. Hi Casey.. hi again, I.F... getting my tea ready.. (yes, Georges, it's IRISH Breakfast tea.. geez..).. Anyway, I'll see you all later.. Actually, I'm looking into some lovely vintagie tea stained wall paper.. one I think will blend in nicely with all that dampness in what's to be my new Bangor apartment (apparently, unless I can change Georges' mind).. (Georges, honey, even New York has got to be less damp than Ireland.. and we see some pretty dankish days, I assure you..)..

.. okay, C. (sorry about all this, it was the peyote, I guess..).. 'til later.. (when I get to PART II) (of what I'd been thinking of)..
v i o l e t (flower).. anticipating that first strong sip.. (oh, and a little morning kiss for you, Georges, my love.. x.. now behave)..
Violet
Casey Butler

Post by Casey Butler »

Today's Sunset over Hurricane:

That high hill to the left is actually a "cinder cone", a volcano. They're all over the place here. It must have been a very exciting place when the dinosaur tracks were made, is all I can say. There is a large aquifir beneath this one that the local municipalities can't agree on how to use. You can't see the mess it is in the dark, but some development company tore up the desert around the cinder cone putting in roads and a golf course for a big development. Then they ran out of money (I think, at least they've stopped working on the place for over a year now) and we're left with a torn up cinder cone overlooking town.

This morning's color anyway, Violet... :-)

Casey
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

Splendid Casey.

Ms. V. you have a way of bringing out (encouraging?) the fine aspects of your blog partners...

XO

Thanks to both of you.
Violet

Post by Violet »

.. and Casey has brought out the fine aspects of the landscape.. and has dazzled us with such a.. gosh, I don't have a word for it that's not a cliche.. but I'll call it a complex sunset -- how's that?.. all without bogging us down with the damage done by those blasted developers..(who are pricing artists like myself out of our Williamsburg Brooklyn neighborhood, by the way.. the greedy rotten scoundrels)..

.. anyway thanks for this Casey.. what a wonderful feeling, first thing in the morning..

.. and thanks I.F... as always, it's lovely having you around..

'til a bit later, Casey (I promise),
v i o l e t (flower).. on my second Irish Breakfast tea of the morning..
(I'm at my last tea bag, methinks, and will have to switch to English Breakfast for a while).. (don't tell Georges)..
Violet
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright »

Goodness Violet,
Don't drink the English tea, drink the good stuff.................

Love Georges xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
Violet

Post by Violet »

... oh, sorry, my love.. should never have mentioned it.. will get to the store pronto.. (.. see, I.F.?? how demanding these Irishmen are??)..

.. love & kisses, Georges, my sweet..
v i o l e t (flower).. (searching the cupboards for more IRISH Breakfast tea).. (however, both are processed in London, I see.. hmm.. ).. (will colonialism never cease?..)..
Violet
Violet

Post by Violet »

Hi Casey.. I decided I'm probably making things a bit too difficult for myself.. I should just tackle a few tid bits at a time..

.. oh, I guess this is PART II (of what I'd been thinking about before)..

.. anyway, your Golden Eagle's been on my mind..

... and also.. how dramatic an entrance he made..
Casey Butler wrote:
We left last night at around 5PM and, after stopping for a snack, made the turn from La Verkin (a town that neighbors Hurricane) towards Virgin, driving parallel to Hurricane Mesa where, at the top, there is a testing facility for the ejection seats the military put in jet aircraft.

All of a sudden this eagle swept down and leveled off about 20 feet from the front of Silver, being on a level with us and traveling about our speed at the time (maybe 50 mph). Then the eagle veered to the right and up, and fortunately there was a pull-off right there so I slammed on the brakes, pulled off, grabbed the camera and leapt out of Silver (though it's possible I had to get out first because the camera was in the back of the truck if we hadn't yet retrieved it).

The eagle flew around in circles near us a couple of times so I was able to get that photo and a few others that weren't quite so sharp (though all show the characteristic golden nape of the neck, exciting because they are the first Golden Eagle photos I've taken outside of captivity that do so).

Casey
And also..

.. from: The Essence of Eagles, baldeagleinfo.com

Eagles and the Sun

The strong link between eagles and the sun can be traced through many cultures. The Aztecs told how during the creation of the present world, the eagle and the jaguar fought over who would have the honor of becoming the sun. The eagle settled the matter by flinging himself into a fire and, thus, becoming the sun… The Aztecs also tied the eagle to the sun in another way, comparing the daily journey of the all-important sun to an eagle's flight: rising on the warming air of morning and swooping down out of sight at night in pursuit of prey.

The eagle plays a crucial role in the sun dance of the Plains peoples of North America, and symbolizes the sun in the rites of some of the Southwestern tribes. The Iroquois tell of Keneu, the golden eagle, and of Oshadagea, the giant eagle with a lake of dew on his back who lives in the western sky.

This Iroquois poem, quoted in The Return of the Sea Eagle by John A. Love (1983) appears to tell of Keneu:

I hear the eagle bird
With his great feathers spread,
Pulling the blanket back from the east,
How swiftly he flies,
Bearing the sun to the morning.

On the other side of the Atlantic arose a belief about the eagle and the sun that persisted for many centuries. The eagle was thought to be the only animal capable of looking directly into the sun. Aristotle and Pliny wrote of this and added that the eagle tested its young by facing them to the sun, rejecting any that looked away.

The writers of early bestiaries, such as the twelfth-century Book of Beasts, added to the eagle's mystery by giving it the power of eternal youth:

When the eagle grows old and his wings become heavy and his eyes become darkened with a mist, then he goes in search of a fountain, and, over against it, he flies up to the height of heaven, even into the circle of the sun, and there he singes his wings and at the same time evaporates the fog of his eyes in the rays of the sun. Then at length taking a header down into the fountain, he dips himself three times in it, and instantly he is renewed with a great vigor of plumage and splendor of vision. (myth)

--Stephen Friar, A Dictionary of Heraldry, quoting the translation of T. H. White

Christians adopted this symbolism, comparing the eagle looking into the sun to Christ looking at His Father, and the renewal of the eagle's youth through its plunge into the fountain to the renewal of the soul through baptism. Even today, an eagle may be spied on the baptismal fonts in some older churches.

.. interesting above how the water of the fountain is involved.. water being more associated with the moon and the unconscious..

.. as for the Sun itself..

I'm just now looking at a little booklet I have on the Tarot that I like to use when doing readings (for myself mostly)..

THE SUN

In the sunlight, everything becomes clear and direct. The Kabblist letter for the Moon, Kaph, meant the back of the head, the most ancient part of our brain. The letter for the Sun, Resh, means the entire head, but especially the front, with its neo-cortex, or gray matter, that makes us human. The cortex is the area of rational consciousness.

And now, think of our little hare.. and I’ll quote a prior post of mine..
Violet wrote:
.. Though by no means an expert, I can say that the hare is associated with the moon in various ways.. so there's that moon again.. some cultures even refer to The Hare in the Moon.. as opposed to The Man in the Moon.. and you spoke of that lovely moon lit drive through Zion, which was so otherworldly sounding.. which reminds me.. there was something I read about the hare in relation to that rather fragile land between the unconscious and conscious mind.. the hare being "the messenger" from the unconscious, as it were.. this being said to do with transformation, as cited in reference to the trickster tradition, in this case, Native American.. oh, and the moon, as I've said elsewhere, is itself associated with the unconscious..

.. in any case, the moon on your moon lit drive transformed the landscape, and the drive sounded in some ways a transformative experience..

.. maybe to be truly awake (in the profoundest sense) one has one foot planted in this conscious reality and the other in that unconscious land that tempers all we see.. wondrousness, then, may well be when one experiences the world and something of its latent potential or latent self -- all at once, as it were..
Finally here, and there will be a Part III, which is probably the hardest part.. but finally there is this..

.. and I’m sorry.. it’s bit of a snuff film, I’m afraid..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsEUFYhiqxU
FULL SCREEN…

… only I’m meaning this video to be read more symbolically.. for although in the Tarot the Sun card could be said to presage good things.. my mind instead is on the sometimes aggressive nature of rational thought.. (like the way your golden eagle swooped down on you).. or perhaps it's the conscious mind I'm speaking of.. Freud comes to mind.. the ego and the id and all that jazz, which I’d have to have a look at again in order to speak of properly..

… oh.. but I'll post another poem of mine that I wanted to speak for me for the moment.. I'll place it beneath one of your lovely photos, Casey..

Feminine Sublime

The awareness broke in sounds
that seemed to rise up all around her;
sounds distilled in exultations of
human consciousness: teaming, like
the furious ascent of birds…

.. then the sounds were quieted,
running gently but alive, like
trickling waters off of mountains,
eagerly spilling their myriad
giddy losses
to larger throws of brooks
and streams…

… all was silent then… the heavens now
descending… her white breasts afloat like
water lilies… her subtle womb… dispersed like
stars…

ii.

When continents perilously shift,
their once imperceptible weight
is suddenly fathomed: annihilation
is the fear in our awakening; and
shame the site of splendor lost
under Reason’s bloody cloak.

dare to let its heavy folds
fall from Eden’s precious body;
strive to keep her naked, free
from the devouring by the
mind’s causative, treacherous
contempt. for this world’s subtle
body is luminous --

I’ve read somewhere that all “things” are sentient beings.. and so even the earth itself could be thought of in those terms, with its "subtle body" perhaps having to do with its “unconscious”.. or at least that which is not clearly seen..

.. I’m still not knowing precisely where I’m going with all of this, Casey.. but it’s relevant to the work I’m doing, and so I want to pursue this further if I can.. some of this seems to conjure the abyss again.. that leap into the void, perhaps.. that “unknowing” experience..

Oh, also.. I looked over your photos, Casey.. and was reminded of the “fear” aspects of this thread..

.. the unconscious no doubt relates to fear far more than the conscious mind.. we fear those dark aquatic recesses.. leading to.. (?) .. Of course, your photo is of a fear we can see.. and yet it may evoke some larger fear.. the fear of where this tremulous Age seems to be heading…

.. I like here the hot pink eye of the sun.. or is it the moon?.. no doubt the sun, but I like the confusion.. It's almost a hole in the sky.. a hole of pure heat..

.. anyway, as you can see, I’m swimming around in all of these things.. and I’m grateful for all of your adventurous journeying (and photo-journaling), Casey.. yours and E’s.. (oh, and Silver's.. not that the car took any photos, I don't think..).. (.. oh, sorry, Mr. Darcy, you're included in this too..)..

Oh yes.. I just thought of Don Juan again.. sending poor Carlos into the world’s vast and uncompromising unconscious.. there was real fear there too.. (as much as Don Juan liked to joke about it).. and it can also be depressing when everything that's near and dear to you is stripped from you, and you are perceiving Reality in ways for which there is no real "human" equivalent.. how lonely to have nothing familiar to you in your midst.. not a leaf, even... or even a..

v i o l e t (flower).. (thinking of a sip of Sleepytime, maybe.. with lemon and honey.. and then, I hope.. to sleep..

.. to sleep.. perchance to... ... .. (dream?)..
Violet
Casey Butler

Post by Casey Butler »

Boy, that's reassuring.

The interpretation is yours, of course, and I guess that's one.

I was seeing these things as metaphor for Cohen songs, personally... The pair of Golden Eagles flying in place being "Dance Me To The End Of Love...", for example, as eagles mate for life, much like people try to do. "It isn't hard to do" might not apply there, however.

Your focus on the hare you saw, well, no hares grow here in the desert, so I wouldn't have been able to decipher that with the eagle. Thank God they put a baby hare there in New York for you to see, I guess.

So you know even though you didn't ask: The vultures we saw after the yellow tape were indeed an anomaly, apparently, as nobody in town has ever seen vultures do that before... The "For Sale" sign in front of the house in whose yard the vulture tree sat said $95,000. It's rumored the old man that lived there committed suicide - due to some terminal illness he saw through or something. But the Real Estate Agent denies this.

It's so hard to get to the bottom of something after it's been put on the market.

No follow up to the Espresso Machine episode.

Thanks for another used poem. I guess you have to be Georges to rate shiny new ones.

I'm glad you're clear on the Abyss, the Void, the Hero Cycle, and New Good Things. I'm a little sorry you see me as so ignorant of them. :-)

Casey

[Edited to change "Expresso" to "Espresso"]
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

Hi Casey and Vi,

Just dropping in for a mo or two.

I don't think Violet is patronizing you Casey, she's admitting you to her Thoughts and Ideas House, where it's full of ramblings and film clips and elipses and other fertile bits and pieces.

On dreaming...
Once, I conducted a personal dream exploration; I decided that every night for a month, I would set my alarm to beep several times during the night. I kept a notepad and pen by the bed, and each time the alarm woke me, I did my best to jot down the dream that was taking place when the beep interrupted, then fell back into sleep. On occasion I couldn't even read what I'd written, other times had no recollection until I read the scribbles. Anyway, I became enthralled with that dream world, even anti-social – after awhile I couldn''t wait to dream and started going to bed earlier and earlier. The notepad morphed into a large sketchbook, where dreams were transcribed and illustrated by drawings. I can't remember why I stopped this practice; perhaps I was threatened with divorce. Hmmmm... did I make the right choice?

XO
Violet

Post by Violet »

Casey.. at least you made me laugh with your "edited to change expresso to espresso" line.. (!)..

Thanks, I.F., for helping me out here.. I really had no idea I was being patronizing, Casey.. It's true what I.F. said.. I'm just swimming around in these ideas.. and I would have returned to the vultures as well, but there's only so many tid bits one can get to at one time.. As to new poems, I'm afraid I'm a bit dry of late.. hate to have to say it.. Here I am at the poetry by forum members section, and the more I write this other material the less it seems I write new poems.. (!).. But I can assure you, it's no reflection on you.. At the same time, I'm a bit hurt that you think so little of the poem I did post.. It's not just any poem of mine, but one I feel to have a certain significance.. and I honestly thought you'd have appreciated it.. Gosh, Casey, poetry does not become refried beans just because it's not brand new (!)..

... gee.. I guess the dust needs to settle a bit.. Maybe you can give things some time and you'll see things a bit differently.. oh, and Colonial Suicide is a completely different kind of thread.. steeped in romance and fantasy.. but this has been so uniquely different.. a kind of collaboration of images and free associations and personal stories.. and Sissel.. Anyway, that's how I was thinking of it.. And I think of it as rather free wheeling and lucid.. nothing is a "final" interpretation.. it's just a way of putting things together and then looking at what you have.. And there's certainly nothing wrong with your seeing things entirely differently than I do.. and there's nothing saying that my interpretation is "right" either..

Okay, well, it seems it's part of my karma I think to be misunderstood, even though I try to express who I am as honestly as I know how.. even when that's being as fanciful as I've been on the C.S. thread.. still, that's just fancifulness, and I do mean it to be fun.. To me, this has been great fun too..

.. okay, well.. signing off for now,
v i o l e t (flower).. (as I consider breaking my teetotalling stint..)..

.. edit.. I can't believe I re-read these things.. and find and correct typos.. v.
Last edited by Violet on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Violet

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”