never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
AlanM

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by AlanM »

Geoffrey wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:18 pm you can see just by looking at me that i have been blessed with nice features, a calm aura exuding an undeniable warmth, plus a tiny hint of playful mischievousness, perhaps. little wonder people flock to me and adore being in my presence. i think only a very hard and frigid person could not recognise the warm and welcoming qualities in such a face. if only there were more people like me around, but unfortunately not every oyster produces a pearl.
Geoffrey, you forgot to mention your undeniable modesty.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

AlanM wrote:Geoffrey, you forgot to mention your undeniable modesty.
well, i don't think i did, alan. i appreciate sarcasm, but one should never confuse boasting with truthfulness. modesty has two unattractive main ingredients: cowardice and dishonesty - neither of which can be found in great quantities in my personality, that is an indisputable fact. some psychologists suggest that on average even an honorable person lies six or seven times each day, while others put the figure lower, maybe two or three times. as for myself, except in cases where a person is desperately in need of comfort, i easily manage to totally refrain from lying, because doing so risks damaging my self respect. i actually feel physical pain when forced to lie, even a little white lie, so limit doing so to situations where it might help someone recover from whatever is hurting them. my philosophy is for myself to suffer rather than them, which is similar to why jesus allowed himself to be nailed on the cross.

people are afraid to say what they think for fear of making a bad impression, especially if one believes one is gifted. society decrees that it is wrong to express gratefulness for one's own talent. as i have mentioned several times earlier, my ego was removed some years ago - via auratransformation. others may accuse me of being boastful, of narcissism, and if that is the price of sincerity then so be it. trying to educate the masses is not my job, would be like casting pearls before swine. the general population is not the intelligencia. it is not a crime to recognise the good and positive qualities in oneself. a crime is more likely committed by anyone who tries to hide the wonderful blessings to which they have been endowed - because that is like slapping the face of god.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... confidence.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Hi Geoffrey,
My comment was intended to be whimsical rather than sarcastic.
There is an expression in this country along the lines of: "If he weren't so modest, he would be perfect".
I was feeding off that, in an attempt at humour.
I also appreciate sarcasm, but it was not intended in this instance.
I acknowledge your talents and I am delighted that you do too.

Best wishes,

Alan
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hello. good of you to write. writing is a two-dimensional media, no air in the words, no intonation to guide one through the precarious art of interpreting what is being conveyed. the difference between reading and listening is like looking at a meal and tasting it. after braile was invented blind people became aware of the same communication complexities as the rest of us, still scratching our heads with the movable comma in luke 23:43, for example. in modern USA politics phrases such as 'fake news' or 'alternative facts', etc. became a popular way of describing various perceptions relating to something that had happened or was said - and arguing about the truth has always been a good way to start an insoluble conflict. i don't know anything about any of that, kellyanne conway and george will just have to agree to disagree . . . or get divorced.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
thank you for always saying nice things about my work, alan - and also for just being around. you seem to be posting more often than you used to, and i hope this will continue. i enjoy seeing the pictures you have on your walls, as well as reading everything you write. if you wish to see anything in my apartment it is just to ask. meanwhile, here is a sketch that appeared while waiting for my breakfast appetite to arrive this morning. sometimes i don't feel like eating until the day is well underway :)
the only thing you got in this world is what you can sell.jpg
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:26 pm people are afraid to say what they think for fear of making a bad impression, especially if one believes one is gifted. society decrees that it is wrong to express gratefulness for one's own talent. as i have mentioned several times earlier, my ego was removed some years ago - via auratransformation. others may accuse me of being boastful, of narcissism, and if that is the price of sincerity then so be it. trying to educate the masses is not my job, would be like casting pearls before swine. the general population is not the intelligencia. it is not a crime to recognise the good and positive qualities in oneself. a crime is more likely committed by anyone who tries to hide the wonderful blessings to which they have been endowed - because that is like slapping the face of god.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... confidence.
The phrase "afraid to say what they think" may oversimplify. Wouldn't it be more precise and accurate to substitute two phrases, "afraid to voice an opinion," and "afraid to voice what one knows (or at least believes) to be a fact."?

Being afraid to voice an opinion is not even a white lie, it is just a conscious decision to refrain from presenting one's point of view because either (a) doing so serves no good purpose (your haircut looks silly); or (b) prior experience tells you that the listener will disagree, and further, that he has no desire to engage in intelligent debate.

On the other hand, being afraid to voice what one knows or believes to be a fact is, I think, cowardly assuming one has taken the time and made the effort to validate that belief. The societal trend to discourage voicing what one believes to be facts is not a good one.

BTW, I prefer your earlier phrase, "like putting caviar in the mouths of dogs" to the more common, "like casting pearls before swine." But that's just me.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hei its4inthemorning - thanks for making contact.

you have truly thought about what i wrote, and that is more important than whether or not we are in agreement. as long as people are willing to communicate and exchange dialogue, then common ground does not need to be the essential component in a harmonious relationship.

having said that, i should admit that i understand quite well when a person feels unable to "engage in intelligent debate" - as you put it. when someone's opinion "serves no good purpose", that does indeed present an opportunity to 'give up', to exit the discussion with head held high. however, by doing so one risks initiating an avoidable 'silent war'. this creates the paradox of achieving superiority through failure.

personally, probably due to a background in psychology, i try to be tolerant of people's behaviour. were we all equally mentally balanced it would be easier to halt a discussion due to an inability to agree, but that is not the case. a person may be suffering from a neurosis or anxiety disorder, for example, and that will affect the way they conduct themselves during social interaction.

once again, thank you for commenting :)
-------------------
ps: it is currently free to travel by bus in ålesund, which is why we look like sardines (photo taken today) :)
sardines.jpg
we can only imagine what people are thinking ;)
he lets rain fall on them whether they are just or unjust.jpg
canadian celebrity
there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

"don't forget your memory. let it exist somewhere precious, in all the colours that it needs." -cohen
it is better to be an outspoken atheist than a hypocrite.jpg
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Hi Geoffrey,
I am amazed that you can incorporate all these colours that are not part of the human spectrum and yet make the picture look so real. I love it.

Alan
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

AlanM wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:46 am Hi Geoffrey,
I am amazed that you can incorporate all these colours that are not part of the human spectrum and yet make the picture look so real. I love it.

Alan
hei alan. not difficult to do using a rainbow pencil. personally i prefer an ordinary '2B' graphite (see below) but am happy with anything. wishing you a nice day! :)
---------------------------
syrian friend who lives in a nearby village.
It's not bragging if you can back it up.jpg
envious man looking at this section of the forum
if wishes were horses beggars would ride.jpg
i've been listening to all the dissention
what is love but another name for positive reinforcement.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

lady i saw today in town :)
the telephone can't take the place of your smile.jpg
"i'm ugly." - amy winehouse
an artist is somebody who enters into competition with god.jpg
straightforward traditional portrait of local resident, very kind elderly lady :)
he was once somebody's baby boy & he had a mother & a father who loved him.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

monday afternoon. the sun pours down like honey . . . in between the showers :)
every bad situation is a blues song waiting to happen.jpg
back home after some days living in a caravan down in byrkjelo.
toto, i've a feeling we're not in kansas anymore.jpg
doodle while attending a lecture about dogmatism.
as god is my witness, i'll never be hungry again.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

close friend. combination of software and initiative
seize the day, boys - make your lives extraordinary.jpg
i left a woman waiting
if you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.jpg
when they said 'repent!', i wonder what they meant!
i get nowhere unless the team wins.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

well-behaved women seldom make history.jpg
i thank you, i thank you, for doing your duty
at night you couldn't see the desert that surrounds las vegas.jpg
woman in town with apprehensive body language. she was nobody's wife :(
it meant being somebody in a neighborhood full of nobodies.jpg
https://youtu.be/a1yG5ccEkoQ
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

"i'm not the kind of person that's going to cut off an ear if i can't do something" - dylan
a momentary loss of muscular coordination.jpg
https://youtu.be/5eraECZmMiM
another digital portrait. this time a guy who sat staring at me while i was eating pizza at a cafe.
every time i paint a portrait i lose a friend.jpg
https://youtu.be/JHRZAxEGOwA
"the guitar is a miniature orchestra in itself" - beethoven
there's no fate but what we make for ourselves.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

shop assistant
the future, always so clear to me, had become like a black highway at night.jpg
today's edition of the 'everyday people' series:
receptionist on her lunch break
everybody must give something back for something they get.jpg