Post by Geoffrey » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:29 pm

what did you just call me.jpg
someone had salmon for breakfast
breakfast.jpg
kvittering.jpg
its4inthemorning

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by its4inthemorning » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:55 pm

G, upon giving your "bat and bugs" drawing a close look, I read and re-read the words at the top. I could not recall them, but t I did sense a cadence that reminded me of "Tonight Will be Fine," so I called on Mr Google and discovered these two additional verses not on the studio album:

Oh I've looked into the mirrors in numberless places
They all smile back at me with troublesome faces
And the cards that they dealt me, there weren't any aces
And the horses never listen to me at the races

and

There's still one or two of us walking the street
No arrows of direction painted under our feet
No angels to warn us away from the heat
And no honey to keep us where it is sweet

Cannot imagine why these verses were cut from the studio version, but thankfully they are in the Isle of Wight concert. This all gives me a good reason to view Isle of Wight, which I have not done in a few years.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:20 am

dear curt. social grace is not a constant presence in my nature, as by now you surely have understood. my entire existence often seems to consist of making excuses for personal shortcomings. time is the murderer of good intentions, and yet other people cope admirably. i have noted the book you suggested, and if possible will read it soon, either on the ship to trondheim or train to oslo. i cannot decide whether north or south.

that was a lovely letter you sent a while ago, and it yet awaits to be answered. i am concerned about the signals such failures give to others, the almost total lack of consideration. mark twain said worrying is like paying a debt one doesn't owe, but it's also a territory in which one needs to crash a roadblock. you are undoubtedly a good man, one who takes pleasure in seeing plants grow, helping to recycle all those transitional atoms and rearrange them into their next construction.

leonard wrote that a favourite game was falling down in the snow, making patterns of angels, but that story could have an extra dimension. in winter it is dark most of the time, and if you lie on your back you will see the orion constellation - it cannot be mistaken - and it can make you feel so microscopic. in its centre is the nebula, a bright light, and "my god, it's full of stars!" is an honest description.

it was kind of you to write again, and to be so patient with me :-)
https://youtu.be/1mFuq7rxksg
favourite game.jpg
one.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:29 am

its4inthemorning wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:55 pm
...Cannot imagine why these verses were cut from the studio version, but thankfully they are in the Isle of Wight concert....

As B4real (Bev) can certainly confirm (she is our resident expert on alternate lyrics!), Leonard often sang additional verses in concerts that did not appear on studio versions of songs (for "Tonight Will Be Fine", and many other songs). That was a habit he had throughout his entire career. I therefore do not think that it is accurate to say that such verses were "cut" from the studio version (which implies that they were actually recorded in the studio and then discarded, which we do not know), rather, all one can say with certainty is that additional versions were "added" when Leonard sang them live in concerts. As for "why": Leonard, presumably, always had his reasons for what he chose to sing, or not to sing, at any given time.

Incidentally, Curt, I actually thought about one of your earlier posts this afternoon: I was out for a walk in the woods, and I noticed some bright yellow marsh marigolds growing in some wetlands where the melted snow from winter still remains (it will be dry by midsummer). They really are very lovely!
B4real

Post by B4real » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:23 am

Lisa, thanks for your kind words!
And yes, just for the record I can confirm that those two verses in full or part were sung in 23 (and for sure more) concerts in the seventies. The same recording on the IOW (1970) official live album released in 2009 was first released in 1973 on another official live album - Live Songs.

Keep on with your drawings, Geoffrey 8) I don’t always comment but rest assured I do appreciate and enjoy them!

EDIT: Talking about the Isle of Wight concert being released in 2009, I've just remembered at that time I posted a pastel portrait that I drew of Leonard to celebrate it's release and also for his 75th birthday. https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 05#p194884

It was actually the first portrait I ever did of Leonard in a now never-ending creation. That being the case, and as this is a never-ending gallery, I thought it might be compatible to hang it here now on the gallery's virtual walls :)

Ah, those were the days - wonderful memories :D
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:27 pm

B4real wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:23 am
...Talking about the Isle of Wight concert being released in 2009, I've just remembered at that time I posted a pastel portrait that I drew of Leonard to celebrate it's release and also for his 75th birthday. ...
Ah, those were the days - wonderful memories :D

Lovely portrait, Bev! I recall seeing that before -- it was lovely then too! Thanks for sharing it again!

As for "those were the days" -- do you mean 2009, or 1970 (Isle of Wight)? I certainly remember 2009 -- it was the first time I saw Leonard live in concert, and it changed my life! Wonderful memories, indeed!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:38 pm

LisaLCFan wrote:
>Lovely portrait, Bev!

yes, it was good, bev. i can't do anything like that, wish i could. i ate 7 pancakes for dinner, with sugar and lemon juice on top. tomorrow i visit the dentist lady for the last time; she is just going to see that everything's all right. on wednesday 17th i have a good quality cabin with a big window and when i wake up i will eat breakfast in the captains lounge before the ship sails into trondheim at 10am. the hotel said i can't use my room until 3pm, but they added that i can leave my suitcase in their luggage room while i walk to nidarosdomen and climb the tower to look again at the dylan with wings statue. in the evening there will be time to meet a friend and go to a bistro. he will invite me to stay with him for a few days, like he always does, but in any case i have a train ticket for the long journey to oslo on sunday. lahcen said he will be at work when i arrive at 10pm, but he will hide the key in the usual place, and all i have to do is warm the meal he has prepared for me. so i will eat that and then wait for him to come home about midnight.

he said he has put the mosquito repellent on the glass bathroom shelf above the wash basin but that i shouldn't need it if i don't open any windows. his apartment is on the ground floor, and he told me not to be alarmed when i go in there and see all the cracks in the walls, and all the structural props holding up RSJs everywhere. he said it's just a precaution, and the engineer was sure the building wasn't in imminent danger of collapsing, although added that it would fall down one day. i asked him why he doesn't sell it and buy another place but he said it's against the law because the architect and engineer have designated it too dangerous for anyone to live in. i will have my little laptop computer with me, and will stay in touch, but write this so that if i go quiet you will know why. i am also leaving a note on my table at home for someone to tell jarkko why i am not around any more.
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending galley

Post by LisaLCFan » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:50 pm

Geoffrey wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:38 pm
...i ate 7 pancakes for dinner...

By "dinner", do you mean "lunch" (noon-time meal) or "supper" (evening meal)? When I was a kid, I always knew the meal names as "breakfast-lunch-supper", with the exceptions of Sundays, when we would have "Sunday dinner", consisting of a large meal of roast beef, potatoes, gravy, etc., which was often eaten at noon (right after church), and "Christmas dinner", which was a large meal of turkey, etc., usually eaten late in the afternoon on December 25th. But for everyday usage, I eventually met people who used "breakfast-dinner-supper", and also those who used "breakfast-lunch-dinner". Personally, these days, I always use "breakfast-lunch" for the first two, and either "dinner" or "supper" pretty much interchangeably, although I most often use "dinner" if I am going out somewhere to eat in the evening, or if it is a special occasion, but even then, sometimes it's "supper".
B4real

Post by B4real » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:37 am

LisaLCFan wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:27 pm
Lovely portrait, Bev! I recall seeing that before -- it was lovely then too! Thanks for sharing it again!

As for "those were the days" -- do you mean 2009, or 1970 (Isle of Wight)? I certainly remember 2009 -- it was the first time I saw Leonard live in concert, and it changed my life! Wonderful memories, indeed!
Lisa, Thanks again for your kind words - I had so much fun doing that portrait!
And the answer to your question is both! I was remembering LC from the 70’s and also the time I did that portrait in 2009. When I drew it I had only joined the Forum a few months prior. Actually, doing that was a slightly belated birthday present I gave to myself. Huh, I’m just now looking at my avatar and I see that yesterday was 11 years to the day that I joined! How serendipitous is that! It was exciting and the beginning of a wonderful journey for which I am eternally grateful! Like you, it changed my life too. The journey still continues but now in a quieter manner.

Geoffrey wrote: yes, it was good, bev. i can't do anything like that, wish i could.
Thanks Geoffrey, If we all did the same thing it would be boring! We are all single entities and that shows in how we approach everything. Therefore, art is so subjective with so many individual styles and interpretations. I’ve always loved the spontaneous way you draw. My strokes are more considered – I see them in place before they actually are – I sometimes wish they were freer.

I thought you might be interested in the materials and methods I used for this portrait –
Bainbridge archival textured mat board dark blue for the background, letting it show through in parts of the drawing for the effects I wanted to convey. My own home-made soft pastels (you only need 4 ingredients to do that) to “painterly” cover the larger areas and store-bought Conte pastel pencils for the details. No finger rubbing whatsoever, letting the application of the pastels alone do any blending that was needed.

Btw – I hope everything goes well for you.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:41 pm

B4real wrote:
>Thanks Geoffrey, If we all did the same thing it would be boring! We are all single entities and that shows in how we approach everything. Therefore, art is so subjective with so many individual styles and interpretations. I’ve always loved the spontaneous way you draw. My strokes are more considered – I see them in place before they actually are – I sometimes wish they were freer.
>
>I thought you might be interested in the materials and methods I used for this portrait –
Bainbridge archival textured mat board dark blue for the background, letting it show through in parts of the drawing for the effects I wanted to convey. My own home-made soft pastels (you only need 4 ingredients to do that) to “painterly” cover the larger areas and store-bought Conte pastel pencils for the details. No finger rubbing whatsoever, letting the application of the pastels alone do any blending that was needed.
>
>Btw – I hope everything goes well for you.

-----------------------------
hei B4real
apologies for slow response. am moving around quite a bit. i think i take making pictures less serious than is necessary, but i can maybe return to this when i have more time, because a comment or two on the things you write is very much needed.

meanwhile, wishing you well - and greetings from oslo :-)
girl on train.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:49 am

lahcen is treating me well, thousands of people here, no plans to leave the city.
items.jpg
beggar.jpg
egon.jpg

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”