Book of Mercy #29-40

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
DBCohen

Re: Book of Mercy #29-

Post by DBCohen »

I must apologize once again for the long absence, due to computer problems and other obstacles. Anyhow, here is the next installment:
II. 40
Let me not pretend you are with me, when you are not with me. Let me close down, let the puppet fall among the strings, until, by your mercy, he rises as a man. Let him dare to call on you from the dust, when there is nothing but dust and the coils of his defeat. Enter me again into the judgment, I who refuse to be judged. Enter me again into the mercy, I who have forgotten mercy. Let me raise your kingdom to the beauty of your name. Why do you welcome me? asks the bitter heart. Why do you comfort me? asks the heart that is not broken enough. Let him lie among the strings until there is no hope for his daily strategy, until he cries, I am yours, I am your creature. Then the surface of the world is restored, then he can walk and build a will. Blessed are you whose blessings are discerned by those who know your name. The evil are seen clearly, and the good are beyond safety, and in the panic the whole world prays, Let us not be tested. Blessed are you who creates and destroys, who sits in judgment on numberless worlds, who judges the present with mercy.
Like often before, we find here some familiar things, side by side with some new ones. The image of the puppet, for example, appears for the first time, but the notion of the broken, helpless creature who needs mercy is not new. And, as always, there are several allusions to the Jewish prayer book and other traditional materials, as well as to various other religious traditions. Here are just a few comments.

asks the heart that is not broken enough – Commenting on the previous entry (II.39), I’ve quoted some relevant sayings by the Hassidic sage Rabbi Menachem Mendel of Kotzk. This verse seems to allude to another of his famous saying, “Nothing is as whole as a broken heart”. Apparently, being constantly in the state of “a broken heart” in front of God is the ideal.

Let us not be tested – From the Jewish morning blessings, said upon waking up. And perhaps this is also relevant: in the common English rendering of “The Lord’s Prayer”, where it says “and lead us not into temptation”, some other translations have “save us from the time of trial”. The Greek word peirasmos can mean testing or trial, as well as temptation. We no longer have the original Aramaic or Hebrew of the New Testament, but it may be that it was similar to the common Jewish blessing.

Blessed are you who creates and destroys, who sits in judgment on numberless worlds – This has many connotations, one of which is an allusion to the Talmudic legend about God creating and destroying several worlds before creating our current one. It also brings to mind certain ideas of Hinduism and Buddhism (that’s yours, Mat).

who judges the present with mercy – God may have destroyed previous worlds, but the current one he judges with more mercy, apparently, since he hadn’t destroyed it. Also, earlier in this prayer judgment was presented as separated from mercy, but here the notions are combined: there is a judgment, but it’s a merciful one. It also brings to mind lines from “The Law”, that amazing song from Various Positions, the album which, as we have said many times before, is the “other half” of Book of Mercy (both appeared in 1984). Here are a few lines from that song:
I'm not asking for mercy
Not from the man
You just don't ask for mercy
While you're still on the stand
There's a Law, there's an Arm, there's a Hand

I don't claim to be guilty
Guilty's too grand
mat james

Post by mat james »

Thanks DB.
you say;
The image of the puppet, for example, appears for the first time, but the notion of the broken, helpless creature who needs mercy is not new.
Yes,‘Let me...’ changes to ‘Let him...’ and the puppet is a powerful image that he has, as you pointed out, introduced for the first time.
“Let me not pretend you are with me, when you are not with me. Let me close down, let the puppet fall among the strings, until, by your mercy, he rises as a man. Let him dare to call on you from the dust,”
Here Leonard distances himself from that aspect of himself who he calls ‘the puppet’.
It is as though he is saying that without ‘your mercy’ I am not a man; but just a speck of ‘dust’; just a tangled and fallen puppet.
“Let him lie among the strings until there is no hope for his daily strategy, until he cries, I am yours, I am your creature.”
...and it is through some form of surrender and acceptance of God’s intervention (an act of 'mercy') that dust..puppet...becomes something much more..: a ‘man’.
“Then the surface of the world is restored, then he can walk and build a will.”
and that is why Leonard celebrates in this verse with the following prayer;
... “Blessed are you whose blessings are discerned by those who know your name.
...Blessed are you who creates and destroys, who sits in judgment on numberless worlds, who judges the present with mercy.”
or;
perhaps Leonard is saying:

Thanks G~d. I am a puppet of dust without You
and with You; I am a Man.

MatbbgJ
Last edited by mat james on Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.
mat james

Post by mat james »

I transferred this across from the "tumors of the lips..." thread (poetry by forum members)
Cate wrote,
I like that Book of Mercy thread but I feel a bit out of my depth so I guiltily would rather read than write there,

We are all guessing on that thread Cate.
Leonard's poems are written on several levels. D.B.Cohen tends to look for the connections that come from Jewish texts while I tend to look for Mystical perspectives/connections with other writers/Mystics. Neither of us are female and neither of us are YOU.
The thread, quite simply/honestly, is richer for your input and the input of all the other contributors who have enjoyed participating in that 'guessing game'.

I don't want you to feel 'guilty' now, do I? So come back and feel brave instead 8)
DB Cohen posted a new verse a day or two ago ...... take a look and respond if you "see" something that you connect with.
That goes for all of you guys/gals. DB and I get a bit lonely over there sometimes so come and join the party.
MatbbgJ
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.
DBCohen

Post by DBCohen »

Very well said, Mat. I do very much wish that Cate and others will add their comments, so we can have a lively discussion as we used to have a long time ago. With only the two of us as constant contributors it begins to feel like in a marriage, and we all know how one of those might end up. 8)
mat james

Post by mat james »

Thanks DB. (...but no divorces yet, I hope. ;-) )
After reading this verse of the B.O.M. and being taken by the dust and puppet metaphors , I went sauntering through a conversation about the pre-Disney Pinocchio fairy tale/story and on; on through my mind and ended up with another response; a poem.
The little puppet, the wooden doll who wanted to be a "real boy" fits in beautifully with the god-less Leonard in this verse wanting to be a real 'man'.
let the puppet fall among the strings, until, by your mercy, he rises as a man.
Maybe Leonard was alluding to Pinocchio (that little pine-nut). Maybe he wasn't; but anyway, the thought worked a treat for me !
I posted this poem/response on the 'poetry for forum members' section and I re-post it here as this is where, I suppose, it rightly belongs.

...puppet of dust

From the limp limbs of fallen strings
and long nosed lies
a pine-nut dreams
of long ears
and a field of miracles
to Catchfools

...like me

weeping a deathly sorrow
playing for mercy
we shrink;
to build a will to Your kisses
of awakening:

disentangle one lumbering boy,
moisten and lift a dormant seed;
-this puppet of dust.

Puppeteer! Papa-tear !
-dance mannequin to man.

Mat James

*pine-nut (Pinocchio)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinocchio
Last edited by mat james on Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cate

Post by Cate »

ah excellent it's over here too!

I like the association of Pinocchio to Leonard's puppet.
---
DBCohen wrote:
asks the heart that is not broken enough – Commenting on the previous entry (II.39), I’ve quoted some relevant sayings by the Hassidic sage Rabbi Menachem Mendel of Kotzk. This verse seems to allude to another of his famous saying, “Nothing is as whole as a broken heart”. Apparently, being constantly in the state of “a broken heart” in front of God is the ideal.
This is interesting Doron. It seems to be a common theme in religion. The idea of learning from suffering, that suffering leads to enlightenment or perhaps respect.
mat james wrote: It is as though he is saying that without ‘your mercy’ I am not a man; but just a speck of ‘dust’; just a tangled and fallen puppet.
“Let him lie among the strings until there is no hope for his daily strategy, until he cries, I am yours, I am your creature.”
...and it is through some form of surrender and acceptance of God’s intervention (an act of 'mercy') that dust..puppet...becomes something much more..: a ‘man’.
“Then the surface of the world is restored, then he can walk and build a will.”
I think the line right before then the surface also fits in well with your suggestion about surrender and acceptance leading to the puppet becoming a 'man'.
Let him lie among the strings until there is no hope for his daily strategy, until he cries, I am yours, I am your creature.
He can not be his own until he submits completely.
---

Let me not pretend you are with me, when you are not with me.

I like this prayer, or piece of prayer.
Sometimes men (as in people) do things in the name of god that really serve their own purpose but they convince themselves and others that it really is god’s will (I'm not sure that's what he means). An example might be in the way one makes love. A person might pretend to themselves that something has a greater meaning in order to justify a basic physical desire. I think a man who loves both the spiritual and physical might find conflict within himself when the two are out of balance.

(spelling edit)
Last edited by Cate on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mat james

Post by mat james »

Hi Cate,
you say:
(I'm not sure that's what he means). An example might be in the way one makes love. A person might pretend to themselves that something has a greater meaning in order to justify a basic physical desire.
Leonard seems to do this often in his writing/reasoning. He gets confused as to who/Who he is making love to; and which part of him (soul or body or spirit) is doing the loving. It is the ideal state of confusion for one like me.

Any-way, I am going sauntering/walking in the Bush/outback for 8 days. I leave tomorrow.
It is Autumn over here and usually a great time to walk, if it doesn't heat up too much.
A toast: "To the Wilderness and the ideal state of confusion!"

MatbbgJ
Cate

Post by Cate »

I drink to your toast.

Good walking Mat,

Cate
Manna

Post by Manna »

Like Pinocchio, Leonard seems to struggle with the thought that he deserves his existence as a real boy. Pinocchio had to prove himself worthy. (Ignore Dizney, btw, I suggest reading the story if you can find it. It borders on horrific.) Leonard wants to be worthy, wants the capacity to prove himself worthy without the need in living situation to prove it. Of course, such a conundrum is part and parcel to the human conditions.
Doing what is right is often hard.
Why do you welcome me? asks the bitter heart. Why do you comfort me? asks the heart that is not broken enough.
That is I.
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

" Leonard wants to be worthy, wants the capacity to prove himself worthy without the need in living situation to prove it."
Manna, I'm intrigued by this - can you explain what you mean?
Manna

Post by Manna »

I'll do my best.

Consider a line I know from a song: Virtue never tested is no virtue at all.

~.~ ...or:

My brother has always been a vivid dreamer, as well as the kind of person whose body wakes up before his mind does. He has a tendency to carry his dreams into his wakefulhood for several minutes of confusion.

When he was in kindergarten, he began to have nightmares about a man who was coming out of the television to threaten him. The man, whom Mischa described as similar to Dad, but he insisted was not Dad, would yell at him and say that if he wasn't a good boy, then very very very bad things would happen to him for the rest of his life - forever. My five-year-old, toe-headed brother woke terrified, screaming, sweating and crying that he wanted good. The man told him that he was going to have to make a choice right now to be a good boy so he could have a good life or to be a bad bay and have a bad life. The bad life would emanate from him and affect his whole family and make life bad for not just him, but for many people. "Good! Good! Please, good! I want to be good. I want good!"

After weeks of these night terrors, my mom discovered what had been the seed of these dreams when she visited the principal's office at school and saw the large window behind his desk --- the man of authority who comes out of the television.

He was a boy who was small for his age, but who had a large self-image. Though he'd howled his oaths to the purest virtues in his own life and in the world, it took him until third or fourth grade to learn that fighting with the bigger boys was not the optimal way to illustrate his bigness.

It's related to the idea that a person is a good person deep down inside, but out in the world, he does bad things. I think many people go through this several times in life when they look at themselves. We truly want and try to be good, but we still do bad things sometimes. If untested, we can allow ourselves to believe we are good. When tested, we at least question.
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Thank you
mat james

Post by mat james »

I suggest reading the story if you can find it.
Manna.

I refer you to this wiki intro below, Manna. It is brief and informative.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinocchio
Manna

Post by Manna »

Everyone important to Pinocchio except Candlewick dies or grows ill when he is bad and is reborn or made well as he gets better. I remember crying when Candlewick died.
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

Let me close down, let the puppet fall among the strings, until, by your mercy, he rises as a man.
Then the surface of the world is restored, then he can walk and build a will.
Like others I found these lines the most arresting.

I wonder if LC knew the Sandie Shaw song "Puppet on a string"
I wonder if one day that, you'll say that, you care
If you love me madly, I'll gladly, be there
Like a puppet on a string

I may win on the roundabout
Then I'll lose on the swings
In or out, there is never a doubt
Just who's pulling the strings
I'm all tied up to you
But where's it leading me to?
I struggle to read BOM with religious or mystic connotations; to me it's all about love.

BM
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”