"Approach to L. C.s Poetry" - "Memories, Identity & Essenti

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
Mad_Musicologist

"Approach to L. C.s Poetry" - "Memories, Identity & Essenti

Post by Mad_Musicologist »

Hi again,
the line should have been, "Memories, Identity and Personal Essentials". But the space is limited. Of course, we should refer to some of the thoughts that we arleady exchanged in the topic "Blessed is the memory", and maybe start from there.
So anyone is welcome to join in one of those three newly opened topics.
See you tomorrow -
Mad Musicologist
beware of masters
Mad_Musicologist

Re: "Approach to L. C.s Poetry" - "Memories, Identity & Essenti

Hi all,
please let me start this topic with a quotation:
Leonard Cohen wrote: LC: Well, we sense that there is a will that is behind all things, and we're also aware of our own will, and it's the distance between those two wills that creates the mystery that we call religion. It is the attempt to reconcile our will with another will that we can't quite put our finger on, but we feel is powerful and existent. It's the space between those two wills that creates our predicament.
From his interview about Book of Mercy quoted here in the forum under:
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/sward.html
So of course, one of the personal essentials We hope to trace in Leonard Cohens poetry ist of course religion. Please be clear that we may not mingle "religion" with "church". To hold something holy, you do not need a church, and to feel at home, you do not need a state. From this statement we can go straight to condensing on the thoughts we had about Blessed is the Memory, but there are other pieces of poetry as well to consider.
Bye for now.
Mad Musicologist
beware of masters
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Your will is with you always
your religion doesnt matter
what is good is God
Live it,give it.love it.

jimbo
love is not forgotten......
Mad_Musicologist

The discussion gets interesting before having really started! Great! You are welcome.
As I said, I've got a lot to read before really going on here, but I will come back soon.
Mad Musicologist
beware of masters

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”