As The Mist Leaves No Scar

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me »

I love this poem. An I love Ann-Marie interpertation. When I picture this I see a man (just because I am heterosexual) that is a kind and gentle lover. Maybe the woman has mentioned she has been hurt before or that she is afraid that his love "body" will leave her hurt. The sensual feeling of mist is wonderful. He will be kind and gentle and I love the use of light.
As many nights endure
Without a moon or star,
So will we endure
When one is gone and far.'
Makes me think he wrote this for his wife to explain how his love is with her when he is away. He has promised her that he will still be with her. I am sure as always there are fears of infidelity when one's love is away. Especially one with the reputation Leonard had.
Through windows in the dark
The children come, the children go
Like arrows with no target
Like shackles made of snow
Then this throws me for a loop, it is like he is saying that if he does step out it is just play.
I love this song on DOALM
Cheers & DLight
Tri-me (tree-mite) Sheldrön
"Doorhinge rhymes with orange" Leonard Cohen
jurica

Post by jurica »

well, i always thoght that was more or less straight forward, one could say simple, poem. i could be wrong, though.

i think the poet is sad that nothing lasts forever, and feelings are lost in time. he would like to leave something of him to the woman he once loved and her something of her to him. but no traces are left once they part. only vague memories that are 'like a strange magnifier, enlarging small issues', in the words of Serbian singer songwriter Dorde Balasevic.

the problem with feelings is that you can't film or photograph them. the best you can do, probably, is write a poem about it.
Anne

Post by Anne »

I always thought this poem was just a fantastically elegant way to say 'it is just for tonight, baby'.
tomsakic

As a falling leaf may rest A moment on the air...

Post by tomsakic »

And I like it sung. How I wish some new, slower version in fashion of real duet! ("Real" meaining that Leonard is in front mix... Ronee Blakley is doing great job there with Leonard in True Love Leaves No Traces...) I think that poem's verses goes fine with song's verses... Combined, it would make terrific song! Anyhow, one of best leads into a Cohen album ever.
Cohen Kid

Post by Cohen Kid »

Best lyric from DOALM...
This one and the title song are the only ones I like from that album.
Sheer poetry! :shock: 8)
A sip of wine, a cigarette
And then it's time to go
I tidied up the kitchenette
I tuned the old banjo
-10 new songs, Boogie Street
Cohendrix

As many nights endure without a moon without a star

Post by Cohendrix »

Leaving a temporary "mist" rather than a permanent "scar" on the foliage . . . hmmm . . . its a deliberately erotic image, for sure--a lyrical, and surrealist take on the classic "gather your rosebuds while ye may"

Sexual congress as "celebration" rather than "loss." Conventional, but so brilliantly not so, too.
--by Cohendrix, a hybrid from the Isle of Wight
lindyasimus

Re: As The Mist Leaves No Scar

Post by lindyasimus »

I just came upon this in an article written by Leonard's Rabbi. Perhaps it fits here.

"One night when we had them over, Leonard asked Anjani to sing from “Blue Alert.” Anjani sat at our baby grand, Leonard across from her softly singing along with a beatific look on his face. Meirav and I barely dared to breathe. The words, the piano, the voices — I was transported to another world. I had the strangest thought: “Now I understand music.” When Anjani sang “The Mist,” Meirav and I broke into tears. Then they started tearing up. Then Anjani said, “He wrote that when he was 17.”

The article, a very interesting read is http://jewishjournal.com/culture/religion/212745/

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”