Leonard Cohen Poems at My Space

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
jerry

Post by jerry »

When I first read it here it sounded like someone trying to mimic Leonard's poetry.I had no idea that Leonard wrote that.I'll stick with Suzanne and the other songs like it.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I agree, Jerry... these seem a rough draft of what Leonard was obviously capable of refining.

Might they appeal to 20-year-olds, however? Absolutely. Some have a definite, Top 40 sound to them, in fact.

Yes ~ an imitation of Leonard. In this case, Leonard a caricature of himself.

~ Lizzy

Well, gotta go. Can't belabour this anymore. It's closing time :wink: .
Kush

Post by Kush »

Well thats a fair bit of landscape you've covered (or backtracked, depending on your point of view) from "abyss of poor poetry" to "a rough draft of what Leonard was obviously capable of refining".
LaurieAK

Post by LaurieAK »

A hilarious 'toe-jam' moment.

Thanks for the chuckles...

L 8)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Kush ~

Not sure how you potentially see it as 'backtracking' ~ many a rough draft can be seen as abyssmal... however, since there are some key words and phrases that we're all familiar with in this, it's obvious that our familiarity came via the 'refined' context. For me, the only thing I can concede however, is that, perhaps, in context of the visuals and storyline of the film, the interactions of the characters, and the words being sung vs. read and coming through with music, that it may 'work' in the context of the film. We've all seen those differences, between reading and listening to lyrics.

On the page, however, with the ones of these that I read [I read the beginning ones and then stopped after I scrolled down and saw the number that were there and dismissed them as not being by Leonard, but perhaps a poetry-hopeful taking on his name as a moniker] just don't work. They have a feeling of "oh, baby, baby, baby," teenage, lovesick songs element to them. It appeared that someone was trying to imitate Leonard... and missing. If I'd known you'd rally so quickly and strongly, however, I'd have instituted this as a 'tactic' far sooner. Then, perhaps, I could've been enjoying your appreciation of Leonard's work all this time. I noticed, of course, that you didn't enter in until you knew they were written by Leonard, anyway :wink: ... and then, already 'in the know,' appeared and struck your position :wink: :wink: ... quite out of character for you to defend Leonard's lines :) ; in fact, as out of character as it is for me to slam them. Interesting how we came together here :wink: .

~ Lizzy
Kush

Post by Kush »

Yes it is interesting isnt it? One might even consider it to be the 'Bizzarro world' of Seinfeld where everything is opposite and nothing is what it seems.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

One might even consider it to be the 'Bizzarro world' of Seinfeld where everything is opposite and nothing is what it seems.
Yes, that must be it. You really don't like these lines and I really do :wink: .

~ Lizzy
Kush

Post by Kush »

Nope despite appearrances I do like LC's work. I think he's a great writer but not as good as you think he is. Nobody can be that good.
LC is praised to high heavens on this forum - constantly so - so I see no need to add to that. Plus in my parents native tongue there is an untranslatable phrase which roughly means if you keep saying the same thing over and over all the time the taste of the sound will grow bitter on your tongue Thats pretty much it in a nutshell.

Your recent comments about Bruce Springsteen are scary for the same reasons.... :)
jerry

Post by jerry »

He is THAT good.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
Kush

Post by Kush »

OK. Peace maan. :)
tomsakic

Re: Leonard Cohen Poems at My Space

Post by tomsakic »

Well, "Fire" is an excelent poem, from Parasites fo Heaven, originally titled "One Night I Burned the House I Loved", and only set to music by Lewis Furey. It's the best piece on Night Magic soundtrack, sung my deep male vocal in Lou Reed metts Leonard Cohen style. What's not surprising, regarding the fact that Lewis Furey was reffered to as "the Canadian Lou Reed". (Read what John Lissauer told about him in the interview on Anjani's site).

All other lyrics are from Night Magic, of course, and they make sense only as the whole, in context of musical. And I think they're quite good, except it's obvious that Leonard made them of outakes, thrown out ideas etc. With him, it's amazing that when he works with/for others, he lowers his personal criteria, and still remains on higher level than everyone others. That only tells he's THAT good. Look at Blue Alert - if he would leave people browsing thru his numerous notebooks of unfinished and "bad" lyrics and poems, we would have dozens of such excellent albums.

I didn't recognise only one song, The Promise, as lighting. Now I see it's also from Night Magic: http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/window11.html. It makes more sense whern you see it's actually acted (character named Judy, chorus line by Angels).
Kush

Post by Kush »

With him, it's amazing that when he works with/for others, he lowers his personal criteria, and still remains on higher level than everyone others.
I humbly apologize for my inability to thusly recognize & appreciate this uniquely supreme artist and saint. I will work on it. (And also on Lucinda Williams)

But the real question is: what is he doing at MySpace?
Dem

Post by Dem »

Yeah, I am afraid I have to agree
once with Kush
(doctor! is it
serious?? :P )

What is he doing at a place like "My space"???

Or somebody else is just impersonating him?

Dem
Last edited by Dem on Mon May 15, 2006 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Some fans are posting the lyrics, probably copied from The Files.
Dem

Post by Dem »

Most probably Tom but it's sad to
see tricked people addressing directly
Leonard in their comments.

Dem

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”