Poets Breaking Into Song: #3 to feature song debut of Leonard Cohen’s poem For E.J.P.

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
B4real

Poets Breaking Into Song: #3 to feature song debut of Leonard Cohen’s poem For E.J.P.

Post by B4real »

5 Poets Breaking Into Song: #3 to feature song debut of Leonard Cohen’s poem For E.J.P. at upcoming presentation

https://beachmetro.com/2021/12/09/5-poe ... sentation/
East Toronto poet and author George Elliot Clarke presents an online event celebrating poetry and music, including the debut of a transition of the late Leonard Cohen’s poem For E.J.P. into a song, on Dec. 10.

Clarke, who was Toronto’s Poet Laureate from 2012 to 2015 and the National Poet Laureate of Canada from 2016 to 2017, lives in the Upper Beaches. He also recently released his book Where Beauty Survived: An Africadian Memoir. ( https://beachmetro.com/2021/10/29/georg ... n-halifax/ )

The Friday, Dec. 10, event is called 5 Poets Breaking Into Song: #3 and will take place on Zoom starting at 7 p.m.

Clarke said that since Christmas of last year he commissioned composers Emily Hiemstra, DD Jackson, and James Rolfe to transform select Canadian poets’ verses into songs.

“Excitingly, Mr. Rolfe has now composed music for Leonard Cohen’s 1964 poem, For E.J.P., which I have loved for several decades,” said Clarke.

The E.J.P. in the poem’s title refers to Edwin John Pratt, considered by many to be English Canada’s greatest poet of the early and mid-20th century.

The estate of Cohen, who died in 2016, has given permission for the new song to debut as part of 5 Poets Breaking Into Song: #3, said Clarke.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”