Greece Poems

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
woody

Greece Poems

Post by woody »

Does any one know which poetry books/ poems were completed during Leonard's time in Greece? I know there are a few in stranger music but wasn't sure if there is a whole book that was written there?
Andrew (Darby)

Re: Greece Poems

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi Woody,

I think I've found evidence that Leonard did finish a few poetry books on Hydra.

Firstly, these three poetry books were published in the sixties when he was primarily resident there: The Spice-Box Of Earth (1961); Flowers For Hitler (1964); and Parasites Of Heaven (1966).

Secondly, in the Guardian article below by Polly Samson, she said, speaking of Leonard:
He knew that work would keep him sane, and during the years of writing his two novels and collections of poetry on the island, had a work ethic to match George and Charmian’s.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/ ... e-of-hydra

By the way, Polly Samson’s novel set on Hydra, ‘A Theatre For Dreamers’, is an engrossing beautifully written one that integrates a fictitious story with the lives of Leonard and his Bohemian peers on Hydra back then. 8)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

"A Theatre for Dreamers".

I resisted this for a long time, preferring fiction or biography, not a melange of both.
It is too easy to 'float' your story on real people's lives, putting words in their mouths which they probably never said, though may have written. With you there, LisaLC fan!

But eventually I succumbed out of curiosity, and found it well written and entertaining in a shallow sort of way, with short chapters handy for reading one a night at bedtime!

I think those who see Hydra and/or LC through rose tinted glasses should definitely read it, as along with lovely evocations of island life it also captures the neglect, the cruelty - of cats, of donkeys, of women, of children. Pity the children of the Flower People!

A more appropriate title would be
" A Theatre for Hedonists."
Ring the bells that still can ring...
woody

Post by woody »

Very interesting thanks both. Does anyone know if there are plans to reissue some of these early books such as Flowers for Hitler? I just looked at a good quality resale version and it was going for £120!
mcraenich

Post by mcraenich »

I believe his entire set of poetry was re-issued around the time of his death - I bought the lot of it this year. But I couldn't speak to availability around the world.

https://www.amazon.ca/Flowers-Hitler-Le ... 665&sr=8-1

^^^ There is Flowers for Hitler available on Amazon Canada

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”