Leonard Cohen 'vs' Bob Dylan

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
jason

Leonard Cohen 'vs' Bob Dylan

Post by jason »

~

A correspondence of yore weighing Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan as musicians

http://forwhatitsworth.be/correspondenc ... bob-dylan/

If indeed a singer-songwriter is a viable candidate for the Nobel Prize In Literature, clearly the opinions espoused here favor LC (and after all, though his body of purely literary work isn't abundant, he was an eminently talented standalone writer and poet as well)

~
Okudzhava

Re: Leonard Cohen 'vs' Bob Dylan

Post by Okudzhava »

Can't stand "VS" posts, sorry.
Belgrade, Serbia, 2. IX 2009.
jason

Post by jason »

Well, the semi-absurdity of weighing art is conveyed here by putting the versus in quotes... However, I imagine that most people, were it a matter of life or death, would choose one artist over another. So I reckon there is some validity in such comparisons, especially when fleshing out the valuable components of various artists' art, and art in general, though ultimately some of this is ineffable and ensconced, for lack of a better word, in the metaphysical
solongleonard

Re: the Big Fight , Leonard Cohen vs Bob Dylan

Post by solongleonard »

Okudzhava wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:48 am Can't stand "VS" posts, sorry.

Belgrade 1 Serbia 2

It was a good game and Serbia scored the winner in the 90th minute, Cohen with an easy nod in from a beautiful cross by Dylan. For the Man of the Match award it was Cohen vs Dylan and I am sure that was what the in off the poster had in mind.
SOME PEOPLE NEVER GO CRAZY.
WHAT TRULY HORRIBLE LIVES
THEY MUST LEAD
jason

Post by jason »

:wink: Indeed
mcraenich

Post by mcraenich »

It's really comparing apples and oranges. Cohen was a stronger writer, but Dylan's music resonated with more people. So who was the 'better' writer, and why is someone awarded a Nobel?

I love Cohen's writing far more than I do Dylan's, but much of it was very self-involved and esoteric, while Dylan changed the face of popular music. In terms of impact Dylan is more deserving.

But as a consolation prize, Cohen certainly didn't go home empty-handed when it comes to awards.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”