poetry please - bbc radio 4 programme seeks requests

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
sebmelmoth2003

poetry please - bbc radio 4 programme seeks requests

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

i don't think i've ever heard a leonard poem requested - although i haven't heard every programme.

next series begins in april.

they're especially interested in requests for : music set to poems and poems set to music.

also food poems.

submit requests with your (approximate) geographical location so the presenter can read out where you are.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/po ... e/contact/
david birkett

Re: poetry please - bbc radio 4 programme seeks requests

Post by david birkett »

Just submitted a request for Song from Let us Compare Mythologies, thusly.' I'd like to request 'Song' by Leonard Cohen, on page 41 of Let us Compare Mythologies (isbn 9780061173752). Cohen's origins and qualities as a poet deserve to better-known, and this exemplifies his combination of mythological, spiritual and romantic concerns and voices, delivered in a ballad form that reads as deceptively effortless.'
The Ogre does what ogres can,
Deeds quite impossible for Man,
But one prize is beyond his reach:
The Ogre cannot master speech.
Supplement Facts

Post by Supplement Facts »

Please Contact Sarah Drews Lucas. Lives in the West of England. Ask her to recite the Latin version of the Leonard Cohen. At one time she knew it by heart. She loves Cohen's poem. She loved this translation. She's a philospher. Finishing her degree.
Supplement Facts

Post by Supplement Facts »

The undisputed world-wide queen: Kim Rosen with Jami Sieber
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix4nIHzz4-o
First one on a Google search.

And yes, she has a web-site. And yes, she teaches workshops. And yes, she's a hell of a performer. and yes, she loves L.C.'s work. Of course. For decades now.
BBC?

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”