Hydra 2015: thank you, Friends!

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
jarkko
Site Admin

Hydra 2015: thank you, Friends!

Post by jarkko »

Eija and I are safely back home in Finland, after a wonderful (and busy) week on Hydra.
It was so great to see so many friends, old and new, and we are already looking forward to the next happenings.

Our photos will be uploaded to a gallery as soon as we get them sorted.
I'm also looking forward to your comments, pictures and photo links, here on our Forum.

Meanwhile, here are some pictures of our local friends and contacts - big thanks to all of them!!

Dr. George Koukoudakis, The Mayor of Hydra

Mr Panagiotis Rappas, Member of the Local Council and
organizer of the Leonard Cohen Event on Saturday evening

Mr. Lakis Christides, chairman of The Cinema Club of Hydra,
and also our guide

Mr. George Xydis, architect and designer of our Leonard Cohen Bench

Our hosts at Roloi (they certainly need some sleep now when our group has left!)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
joyezekiel

Re: Hydra 2015: thank you, Friends!

Post by joyezekiel »

Glad you both made it home safely, Jarkko. I arrived home in the early hours of yesterday after 24 hours travelling, but I'm not yet home mentally - I'm still very much on Hydra time!

Mark and I had a wonderful week on Hydra. One of the things I love about these events is that we not only get to see so many old friends, but we also get to meet so many new ones. Of course we all have Leonard in common, but it's so refreshing to talk to people from so many diverse walks of life. It's going to take me a while to come back to earth.

I thought the event was a great success, and I would like to say a huge thank you to Jarkko and everyone else who worked so hard to make it all go smoothly. Saturday evening was a delight, and I loved the way the various elements of Leonard's life and work were put together and presented. And how wonderful to see that amazing 2010 concert again - perfection! A great choice.

Thanks again,
Joy and Mark
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Dear Jarkko & friends,
I write this from Budapest on our last evening before we return home. We had such a wonderful time and wish to thank all of you for helping make this so memorable. It was incredibly sweet, poignant and touching to return to Hydra after 13 years especially so as the 2002 Hydra Event was so life-changing for Anne & I.

It was a deep honor to be asked by Jarkko to say a few words to the gathering on the Saturday night tribute. I agreed only because it would give me the opportunity to thank Jarkko for creating this community where we now gather both virtually here and in real life in beautiful places like Hydra.

This is the 20th anniversary of the creation of the Leonard Cohen Files and the Forum and its predecessor. I have been told that the majority of people do not make new friends after they have left their schooling. I treasure the fact that so many of us have made deep abiding friendships and continue to do so because of our mutual interest in Leonard's work and the efforts of our esteemed webmaster.

We hope that those of you who are still enjoying Hydra and Greece continue to have a wonderful time and safe travels for everyone.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Dear all,

my wife and I are still enjoying Greece for a few more days, after a great time on Hydra.
It was my first time to attend a meet up and already I look forward to the next time when I can meet fellow Cohenites. Big thanks to all who organised this.
" ........... if one can describe as serious the confused comedy of our lives". Graham Greene, "The Comedians".
TomBohan

Post by TomBohan »

I thank you, Jarkko, and all those on Hydra and abroad who contributed to a most moving and generally wonderful few Leonard Cohen days on Hydra. I was sorry I could not stay through Sunday night, but left savoring the meetings I had had with old friends and the new acquaintanceships I had made during my week talking, swimming, and drinking in/on that magical place. Now back on my own island, Peaks, in Maine.--Tom
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

This is the first meetup that we've been to and we had a great time.
Hydra is a special place.
Our thanks to everyone who made us feel so welcome in the group, especially Christoph, Claire & Willy, Lizzy, Steve, Claudia and Jarkko.
Warm regards
Steve & Bridget
Attachments
Bridget, Hydra 15/06/2015
Bridget, Hydra 15/06/2015
London 25/7/1985
London, Royal Albert Hall 30/5/1988 & 10/5/1993 :
Manchester Opera House 20/6/2008 : Vienna Konzerthaus 24/9/2008 :
Cardiff 8/11/2008 : Manchester 30/11/2008 : Berlin 2/7/2009 :
Lille 25/9/2010 : Paris 29/9/2012 : Rome 07/07/2013 :
Bournemouth 26/08/2013
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

Thank you, Jarkko, and all of you, guys. Hydra was wonderful and it was even better to meet you. I miss you already and started to plan my next trip. Until then, I hope to see you somewhere on the road.
Eva
Janetld

Post by Janetld »

Thank you so much, Jarkko and Eija, I am back home now from a week so good it surpassed my high expectations. It all still seems a little surreal and I will never forget the highlights of Saturday night's event, the Ghent concert on Sunday, wonderful choice, the walk to the site of the bench and Leonard's house. And of course meeting so many lovely people, listening to and talking about the music knowing everyone appreciates Leonard as much as I do. The delightful island of Hydra, the trip on Friday, the walks into the mountains and along the coast, the horse-ride, the lovely restaurants and bars, the shops, so many and beyond all expectations for a small traffic-free island.

I am already planning my next trip, thanks again, Janet
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Thank you, Jarkko! Thank you for creating this perfect world for/of us!

Kudos to the fabulous family team of Ρολόι! They provide the greatest way of devirtualization of our Forum!

Thank you, Friends! You are the best!
Laura

Post by Laura »

Thank you so much, Jarkko and Eija. When are we meeting next?! After the very needed 3 full days of sleep, I'm already manifesting serious withdrawal symptoms... ;-)

Laura
birminghamfan

Post by birminghamfan »

Hi Jarkko , and a big thank you for a superb meet up on Hydra ! I had a great time , lovely to see old friends and make new ones , a lovely celebration of Leonards work , and the concert video was stunning !

Thanks again , best wishes , Steve
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

JUST now, within the last two hours, home in Florida.

Such an incredible time for all of us on Hydra this year. The bench approval timing was perfection. It seemed that all of our activities were a cut above when they unfolded. Thanks to you, Jarkko and Eija, with all the plans you coordinated on our behalf. This time on Hydra showcased so beautifully your commitment to Leonard and to us. The participation of the locals you've pictured above were essential to the success of this event. Thanks for all of your efforts in garnering their participation! This year, it seems you have outdone yourselves 8) . I'm so grateful. Thank you.

Love,
Lizzie
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
harald

Post by harald »

just wanted to add my thanks!
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
Greg Ross

Re: Hydra 2015

Post by Greg Ross »

Salutations people

Ann and I would like to add our heartfelt thanks to Jarkko and Eija for the wonderful weekend on Hydra. I know exactly what's involved in organising such events, not just in the planning, but also in the day to day execution, you really can't relax at any stage.

Thanks also to the people of Hydra for their splendid hospitality on their truly beautiful island, I have tried for so long to see Hydra, but work, other commitments and sometimes, financial impicunity have long prevented the dream from becoming reality, but somehow, this year we made it, as the last part of our honeymoon! We will walk the shores of Hydra again in the near future. It was lovely to catch up with old friends and finally put faces and voices to Forum friends, including Jarkko and Eija, thank you all for the welcome.

I've written a small tribute to the event, posted an album of photos and also included links to several video clips of the event, most of them taken by Roman Gavrilin, (Hermitage Prisoner), one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. Link herewith:

http://t.co/BJS1poGIlg
All Good Things
Greg

http://www.gregross.com.au/
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Some familiar faces appear in this New York Times piece:
http://www.hydranews.gr/12778/portraits ... -a-crisis/
newfoundland--understand?

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”