Flying Cats and Dolphins from Piraeus to Hydra

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
Laura

Re: Flying Cats and Dolphins from Piraeus to Hydra

Post by Laura »

Thank you, Roman, that sounds like a good idea, especially since I much prefer the metro to the bus... I remember the bus driver seemed to be convinced he was on a car rally... on the busy streets of Athens. One of the few times in my life when I actually prayed!
Omg, Ken, I seem to have missed that story... who was the unfortunate cohenite? Well, I am romanian, so hanging on to my stuff is rather second nature... for all the good that does.
So, anyone else for the wednesday evening boat?

Laura
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Aren't these schedules for the fast boats vs. the slow ferry?
Or am I missing something? Took me long enough to figure them out; I may have.
I'm taking the only evening boat I saw was available for that Wednesday. It's a fast boat, though, isn't it [vs. a ferry]?
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The ferry service was discontinued already years ago. The Dolphins are the only way to get to Hydra.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for clarifying that, Jarkko. The discontinuation of the ferry was somewhere in the back of my mind, too, but it never got fully formulated when I asked about the schedule being for the fast boats. And I wish I'd taken advantage of them when I had the chance. I know some did, including Laura, so she may well use the words interchangeably. For example, with me, I tend to call my truck my "car" ~ go figure lol :lol:
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Hi again
just to let you know that our friend and organizer on Hydra, Mr. Lakis Christiadis, sent me this morning a warning that especially the last daily departure from Piraeus to Hydra has been quite full, so he strongly advises everybody to book tickets in advance.
Hellenic Seaways uses the small Flying Cat in the evening (from Monday to Thursday) , with much less seats than the bigger vessel Flying Dolphin.

Here is a link to follow:
http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.php/en/
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Thanks to Demetris and Lennard for correction:
Just wanted to let you know the sizes of the vessels are the other way around. Actually the the Flying Dolphin is the small vessel and the Flying Cat is the larger vessel. This however does not affect your recommendation, since Hellenic Seaways indeed uses the small vessels, Flying Dolphins, in the evenings.

Best,
Lennard Torbijn
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

jarkko wrote:Hellenic Seaways indeed uses the small vessels, Flying Dolphins, in the evenings.
According to their website, the evening vessel (18:30) is FLYINGCAT 6.
Anyway, did I get it right: evening = need to book; afternoon = no need?

Update, FYI:
Flying Dolphin - 128 passengers
Flyingcat 6 - 337 passengers
(source)
Citizen_Kane

Post by Citizen_Kane »

Hi everyone,

I partly misread Jarkko's e-mail and forum post. To clear things up, this is the Hellenic Seaways schedule for this coming week. The last boat to leave from Piraeus to Hydra on monday - thursday is a Flying Cat (F/C), the larger vessel. The last boat to leave from Pireaus to Hydra on friday - sunday is a Flying Dolphin (F/D), the smaller vessel.

Best,
Lennard
Attachments
Schermafbeelding 2015-06-07 om 15.16.05.jpg
2008: Manchester, Brussels (2), Rotterdam - 2009: Lisboa - 2010: Lille, Dortmund - 2012: Ghent (3), Amsterdam (2) - 2013: Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam!
Citizen_Kane

Post by Citizen_Kane »

Goldin wrote: ... Anyway, did I get it right: evening = need to book; afternoon = no need?
In my opinion advanced booking is preferable either way. Tickets can be purchased through the website of Hellenic Seaways. By the way, last time we purchased our boat tickets in advance for the last departure of the day (just to be sure and taking into account possible delays). When we reached Pireaus in time for an earlier departure on the day, we had no problems changing the tickets we bought for the last departure to tickets for the earlier departure at the Hellenic Seaways office at Karaiskaki Square (Platia Karaiskaki) in Pireaus.

Best,
Lennard
2008: Manchester, Brussels (2), Rotterdam - 2009: Lisboa - 2010: Lille, Dortmund - 2012: Ghent (3), Amsterdam (2) - 2013: Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Copying an email from Joe Way:
Anne, Jane & I arrived today and had not purchased tickets in advance. I think we bought the last 3 tickets and our seats were not together.
On a good note, it is beautiful here and we look forward to everyone's arrival!
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

(problem solved (mystery unsolved!), thanks for your support)
Last edited by Goldin on Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Just to clarify, we left on the 2PM boat and it was the smaller Flying Dolphin. I tried to book the ticket from our hotel room in Athens last night, but I was only given a choice of picking it up at an agency or having it delivered by courier. In retrospect we probably could have picked it up at the port. We got there about 1 ans 1/2 hour prior to departure so don't know if tickets were sold after ours.

We had dinner at Douskos tonight (wonderful fresh cod). Don't wait-they probably aren't waiting for you now!
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

You have to choose "agent" , and then just pick it up at the port.
harald

Post by harald »

Don't know if this info is of use:
Tried to book the with Hellenic Seaways from my tablet. No success.
Tried then from the big Pc in the hotel lobby. Smooth and successful.

(Now to the Akropolis, we'll come to Hydra Wednesday,
best, Harald)
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
Janetld

Post by Janetld »

Thank you all, really helpful. I have just booked both journeys.

Harald, I couldn't book on my iPad, ok through to payment, then it failed but no problem on computer, so thanks for the tip.

So looking forward to getting there now, Janet

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”