Hydra Meetup in June 2005 !

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
jarkko
Site Admin

Hydra Meetup in June 2005 !

Post by jarkko » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:10 pm

Here is something for those who want to return to Hydra, or who missed the 2002 Event there, or have severe withdrawal symptoms while waiting for the August 2006 Event in Berlin:

The dates for the meetup on Hydra next summer have been fixed to the weekend June 10-12, plus extra days before and/or after according to everybody's own schedules. Henning and Elke will be on Hydra from June 8th until 15th. Eija and I will come on June 5th and stay very probably for two weeks until June 19th.

We have to underline that this will not be any official gathering, just a meetup for people who want to spend some time on the beautiful island with like-minded cohenites. This will mean that we do not have any pre-scheduled program nor registration. We will give some advice about the connections from Athens/Piraeus to Hydra and some addresses for booking your accommodation, but all arrangements are up to the travellers themselves.

Early June has been chosen for several reasons. First of all, the tourist season has not yet begun - there are plenty of rooms available, and the prices are lower than two weeks later. The weather is ideal, not yet hot but warm enough. The restaurants are not full, we can select a new
restaurant for every day, and get best possible food.

We hope that those who play guitar take their instruments with them.
Roloi Bar will have cold Mythoses waiting for us :P

Jarkko
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:46 pm

I wish I could swing this - right now I could think of little that would surpass it! :mrgreen:

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:43 pm

Thank you so much, Jarkko, for facilitating ways for people to 'ease into' this get-together 8) :D .

~ Lizzy
Paula

Post by Paula » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:51 pm

This is a long shot but is anybody going overland from Britain otherwise I might be forced (heavily sedated) on to a long metal flying machine :lol: A word of warning if I do have to fly I do hope you lot are on different planes it could be quite disturbing :lol:
simonelimone

Post by simonelimone » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:11 pm

I'll be with you, really looking forward to this informal, promising gathering. And what's about my dear hydra friends tommy, ute, eva, veronica, christoph, ray, marc, barbara and richieeeeeeee???

cheers - simon 8)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:55 pm

Promises......promises.......Paula ~

That's exactly what you said about New York ~ and where were you? London! [Or somewhere near.]

It'll depend on my available time off work, as to whether I can afford the extra time to go overland with you. I'll be going to see Pete, but that's only a several-hour diversion.

Love,
Lizzie
Paula

Post by Paula » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:34 am

Lizzie I am determined to get to Hydra. I will book the time off work in plenty of time. My daughter wants to come (are there beaches there)? The flight is three and a half hours and overland is two/three days.

I will try not to bottle out of going by plane. New York was nine hours. I stood no chance with that :lol: Also if I really freak on the plane at least I can get home overland and won't have to live for ever in Greece. :lol:

Do we get there via Athens or direct to Hydra?
margaret

Post by margaret » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:45 am

I believe you can only get there by ferry from Athens as there is no airport, which does have the advantage of keeping the package trade out :D The beaches are mostly pebbley.
Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:30 am

simonelimone wrote: my dear hydra friends tommy, ute, eva, veronica, christoph, ray, marc, barbara and richieeeeeeee???

cheers - simon 8)
Simon,

How many times do I have to tell you it's "Richard" not "Richie"!! :x

I may have to join you in Hydra even if it's just too smack you across the head. Of course it's also fun to trying to have conversations with you after you've had a few (too many) drinks. :P Missed you in NY. Hope you are doing well.

Richard
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:14 am

Geez, Paula ~ I'm actually amazed that from where you're at to Hydra is only about 1/2 as far [time-wise] as to New York!

:lol: "Also if I really freak on the plane at least I can get home overland and won't have to live for ever in Greece. :lol: " :lol:

Well, it looks like overland may be out for me, then ~ dang! Another time. This is going to be too soon, following other things, to be very extended.

Your daughter coming ~ fabulous!

Margaret took care of your questions [thanks, Margaret :D ].

~ Lizzie
simonelimone

Post by simonelimone » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:44 pm

Howdy Richard :oops: ....

I know now why I had such a guilty feeling when I posted my message. "DON'T CALL ME RICHIE" - warned a unconscious subconsciousness... :roll:

Anyway, if you'll make it once again to Hydra, I promise never, never calling you R...ie again....
That'll be really cool - but be aware, next time I' ll beat your 5min record... :wink:

Warm (it's very very hot here in my Spanish exile) greetings - Simon
Rob

Post by Rob » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:57 pm

Is there a particular area/resort we should try for, or is Hydra small enough for this to not matter?
Rob
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:12 pm

All hotels are within 200 meters from the harbour, so it
does not really matter in which you book the room.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:34 pm

I'm planning to ride my maxi-scooter overland to Athens and catch a ferry to the island. I'm undecided as to whether I should ride down through Italy and get a ferry from Brindisi to Athens, or to travel through Croatia, Albania and into Northern Greece, and then on to Athens.
The trip will take at least 5 days of riding to reach Athens and even then I might not be allowed to take my bike across to Hydra because of the restriction on vehicles on the island. This would mean leaving the bike at the dockside to await my return.
I'll have to have a think about this before making a final decision. A lot will depend on what Matron says...........

I've done a map/direction planner off the Net and have to go via Brindisi. Total riding is 1,665 miles each way. Total tolls is £46 GBP.

Decisions, decisions.......
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:08 am

OK, Matron has spoken to the Physiciatric and Medical Committee, and has agreed to sacrifice her own holiday entitlement, in order to supervise me on the trip through the most beautiful parts of Europe.
In spite of all the things I've said about her and all of the things I have added to her drinks and food over the past 3 years, notwithstanding the long spell she had in hospital after the miscalculation with the industrioal strength laxative, she is still prepared to accompany me to Hydra.
Obviously. my scooter cannot accomodate three passengers and.......ooops, I forgot to mention that Albert is coming as well.......and therefore I am designing a two wheeled trailer to tow behind the bike. I have sent away for a blueprint and schematic three dimentional projection of a trailer I saw advertised in 'Matrons' Weekly,' which claims to provide the perfect vehicle for transporting important Matrons across the most beautiful parts of Europe, 2003 Edition.
Albert contacted his Vet and he is concocting a UV, Sun Screen ointment for Albert to apply to his 'parts' and so prevent 'Bare Bear Body Burning Boil Bacteria.'
I had a rumage in my old 'gander bag' and found my original knitted woollen Double Crossover Stitched swimming trunks.
I'll keep you posted as we continue to prepare for our great adventure........
Regards........
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”