Looking forward to the Hydra meetup in June 2011

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
jarkko
Site Admin

Looking forward to the Hydra meetup in June 2011

Post by jarkko »

I have received a number of emails and PMs from members who are asking if we have any plans to go back to Hydra. Our previous meetup on the island was last year, in June 2009, with some 80 members.
These meetups have been biennial and taken place between the big Events. This year (2010) we will have the Event in Krakow and in 2012 in USA, but there are indeed tentative plans for another gathering on
Hydra in June 2011 - maybe the 2nd weekend again! It's too early to make precise plans at this point, but let's keep this in mind while we are enjoying all exciting things that will happen this year!!
Jarkko
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mary72

Re: Hydra meetup in June 2011

Post by Mary72 »

Thanks for the information. New here but I promise to be a presence.
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

jarkko wrote: Hydra in June 2011 - maybe the 2nd weekend again!
not fair!
exams won't be over yet, when the time comes to think about it, please consider doing it a couple of weeks later! :o
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

We have chosen the 2nd weekend because the tourist season has not yet begun - the hotels have low season rates,
and there is room in the restaurants. One or two weeks later Hydra has the Miaulis festival that means that
it is very crowded and the prices go up. (However, it would be nice to see the festival once!).
The weather is also very pleasant already in the beginning of June.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I know you'll be in serious, study mode. Could you not bring your most difficult subject matter and spend the day with us, even studying a bit? [What a joke, I know... that you'd actually take ANY time to study... so maybe you'll have one of the weekend days you can spare??] Ha! I talk as though I'll be there :? :roll: . Maybe I ought to change my "us" to "them."

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Miaoulia was so exciting last year--it would be nice to be there for all that drama and see Stamatina too, but, Jarkko is right: extremely crowded on Hydra then...I was literally pinned against a wall last year ! (in a good way...)

Anyway: I'll be there, no matter which dates are chosen!
Laura

Post by Laura »

anneporter wrote:I was literally pinned against a wall last year ! (in a good way...)

That is an extremely intriguing phrase... in a good way. ;-) Will you ever tell the story?

Stamatina: you MUST be there!

Laura
Cate

Post by Cate »

that is an intriguing phrase :razz:

--
Do I remember right was there somebody who brought their children last year?
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

OMG Cate! What on earth do you have as your avatar??? LOL...even though we haven't met I am ( :lol:) pretty sure this is not a true representation! ;-) I have seen other photos which decided me that you will NEVER see certain men in my life!!!

Stamatina...I would love to meet you, and I am seriously considering Hydra next year. Is there a possibility that you can come and do your exams from Hydra?? You would have a couple of dozen people helping you...well, unless it's in Greek :? We could guarantee your school that we would observe and test.

Well, heck, if you can't come, then I will try to see you on my way back to America via Athens....what's another day or two!
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

Stamatina, I wouldn't normally suggest this, and to someone so young also but I'm sure Dr. HGuy will be able to sign a sick note for you should it come to that! ;-) :D
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

lizzytysh wrote: [What a joke, I know... that you'd actually take ANY time to study... so maybe you'll have one of the weekend days you can spare??]
But my problem isn't studying, my problem is that my mother is hesitant (leaning to "no") about letting me go and losing even the slightest hope she has of seeing me studying. :razz: Even worse, the exams that are placed on a Monday or a Tuesday are usually the hardest because we ARE supposed to study during the weekend :? :roll:
burningviolin wrote:Stamatina, I wouldn't normally suggest this, and to someone so young also but I'm sure Dr. HGuy will be able to sign a sick note for you should it come to that! ;-) :D
Ha ha, didn't think about that, you're right!! :D :D
lizzytysh wrote:Ha! I talk as though I'll be there :? :roll: . Maybe I ought to change my "us" to "them."
Laura wrote: Stamatina: you MUST be there!
ladydi wrote: Stamatina...I would love to meet you, and I am seriously considering Hydra next year. Is there a possibility that you can come and do your exams from Hydra?? You would have a couple of dozen people helping you...well, unless it's in Greek :? We could guarantee your school that we would observe and test.
Aw, you're so sweet! :D
Promise to be there and I'll promise to do my best. Hell, maybe I'll exercise more pressure on mum and turn her into some sort of Cohen-freak by the summer of 2011, a year is probably enough time! 8) :D
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
Laura

Post by Laura »

Stamatina wrote: Aw, you're so sweet! :D
Promise to be there and I'll promise to do my best. Hell, maybe I'll exercise more pressure on mum and turn her into some sort of Cohen-freak by the summer of 2011, a year is probably enough time! 8) :D

Exactly! I think you're already making good progress in that.
You can also try to be a VERY good learning girl before the holidays... to make up for that... ;-) Don't do like me; I'm still regreting that I didn't go to the Hydra 2002 Event because I didn't want to upset my parents (well, and because I was afraid myself)

Laura
Cate

Post by Cate »

ladydi wrote:OMG Cate! What on earth do you have as your avatar???
I'm being silly in the poetry forum - I'm a queen.
----

Stamatina - Perhaps you could work out a deal with your Mom that involved you maintaining a certain average throughout the year (I'm sure it's already very good) and a very strict study schedule weeks before the exams that would allow for at least one day away... It would be great if you could talk your Mom into going.

edited out poor joke just in case somebody takes the wrong way
caroleb

Post by caroleb »

Early June sounds just right to me and I hope I will be able to join you all on the beautful island of Hydra again in 2011. I had a wonderful time in 2009 and met some amazing people and although I dont want to wish my life away - I cant wait. :D
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

Stamatina, you can come even for a one day trip;-)Not bad also to study a bit of Cavafy on our way to Vlychos;-)
Hope some of you can make it and come this year too, before or after Krakow:-)

Sophia

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”