HYDRA MEET-UP 2009 REPORT

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: MEET-UP 2009 REPORT

Post by jarkko »

Paula, thanks for the sunshine - we would have use for it here (only 8 C and raining here in Finland, and similar weather going to continue over the midsummer festival...). I wish we had not left Hydra!
Jarkko
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for clarifying, Laura. It made sense... she'd met you and most of the others; she doesn't like to be photographed, so it made sense she'd want to take the photo; she's from Poland and could easily have decided to live in Italy for awhile; and it sure made sense she'd want to return to Hydra. Glad to hear that your Anna is lovely, too :) .

Yes, the contrast in the photo of Christoph is strikingly wonderful. With a nick like Fawlty Towers, I'm guessing his sense of humour is wonderful, too :lol: .

You can have some of Florida's sunshine for back-up, Jarkko :) ... but you've gotta take some of the rain with it ;-)

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Anna from Poland is alive & kicking - we just had ice coffee two days ago, here in Krakow, thinking of all the Cohenites at beaches of Hydra;)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, that's wonderful, good news, Tom. Thanks.
Please tell her I said "Hi" when you speak with her, again.
~ Oscar Wilde
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Anne, great photos! Definitely looking forward to more! Hope you are having a great vacation!

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
linmag

Post by linmag »

Welcome back to the frozen north, Jarkko :). We have 16 degrees C in Gloucester today, and rain. We left Hydra just after lunch on Monday and arrived back in Gloucester at about 4 am the following morning. Having staggered into work during the day we then went to a folk gig in the bar of our local theatre in the evening. Looking around at the rest of the audience in typical warm english summer clothing, I realised that John and I had made the journey back to Gloucester in body only - our brains were obviously still on a beach somewhere on Hydra. I was in cut-off trousers and a t-shirt and John in shorts and a hawaiian shirt!

I have been consoling myself today looking through some of the photos from our too short stay on Hydra this time. I have uploaded a few of them below, pictures of Hydra rather than people, as I know that there will be lots of those :)
Attachments
DSCF0951.JPG
DSCF0949.JPG
DSCF0945.JPG
Last edited by linmag on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

lizzytysh wrote:
Yes, the contrast in the photo of Christoph is strikingly wonderful. With a nick like Fawlty Towers, I'm guessing his sense of humour is wonderful, too :lol: .

~ Lizzy
Oops! I should have proof-read my message--it's the restaurant, not Christoph , that was dubbed Fawlty Towers.

Laura, I don't take photos of myself, but I do have a couple of you, for example:
1.jpg
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

I just came across this one and couldn't resist posting it:
Boys, you know who you are!
1.jpg
Laura

Post by Laura »

Oh, Anne, you are a teaser! Are you going to post your photos someplace on a webpage for us to enjoy them all?

The running irish boys photo is so much fun! You could use it as a poster for a comic movie. (what did you do to set them running like this, I wonder?)
And I like the photo of me too; just don't ask me what I was thinking there. ;-)

Laura
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Laura,
We didn't set the Irish boys running-- we set them dancing!!!
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Sweet Judy Blue Eyes,
We are sitting here at Porto Fino's but it seems your boat has sailed! So sorry we missed your boat.

A bientot, Judy and Ella! See you on Hydra in 2009!
1.jpg
Such a pleasure to meet you, and look into those gorgeous eyes!
Hope to meet again!

Ann Marie Lane

Hi,
I was so sorry to miss you this morning. It was wonderful to meet you, and I hope we will
be together again at some Cohen event...hopefully, sooner rather than later!

Take care,

Kathy
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, Linda, yours are exceptionally beautiful, too! And you're melting my heart with the cats one :D . I'm so happy to see them so healthy, too. I hope yours also end up posted somewhere, for us to enjoy them all, as Laura has suggested for Anne's. Anne... your use of colour/B&W is so effective. You make a great portrait photographer. A very lovely one of Laura. Great dancing photo of the boys, too. I wondered, as well, why they were running... and at the same time, in opposite directions? As in, how did you accomplish that!?! Big guys... arachnophobia, after all ;-) ?

Haha. Fawlty Towers for the restaurant :lol: .

Just tried to post this and found the gorgeous photo of Judy waiting and the lovely messages I know she will be so happy to read! Anne... you're incredible with a camera! They remind me of your haikus.

I'm also looking forward to Eija's getting posted here or somewhere! She also takes such beautiful photos! I'm hoping, too, that she [or someone] got a photo of you when you weren't looking, Anne ;-) .

Such a great year for Hydra photos. Those of us who couldn't make it are especially blessed by them... well, okay, the rest of you are, too, for the memories they've captured 8) .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

We will get a quite large selection of Eija's Hydra photos up later today on a separate Gallery page. Will post the link here when ready.
Meanwhile, here I'm testing the wireless network in the Hydra harbour. Roloi has nowadays a free public WiFi for its clients, and there is another network on the other side (at the Dolphins).
No networks were available at this spot a bit far from the tavern area. - There is still an Internet Cafe, so no need to carry a laptop (30 min = 3 eur, 60 min=5 eur).
Attachments
apu20.jpg
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Technology meets Hydra :lol: . You look so intent, Jarkko :) .

Looking forward to seeing Eija's photos 8) .
~ Oscar Wilde
linmag

Post by linmag »

The cat one was specially for you, Lizzie. Sue and I thought about you and your waifs and strays of four years ago every time we saw a cat, so you can imagine you were on our minds quite a lot :)
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”