Hydra Meetup 2009

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
jarkko
Site Admin

Hydra Meetup 2009

Post by jarkko »

I have posted an invitation to the next unofficial Hydra Meetup - go to http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/backtohydra.html

The meetup will take place on June 12-14, 2009 (weekend). Please note that this will not be any official gathering, just a meetup for people who want to spend some time on the beautiful island with like-minded Cohenites. This will mean that we do not have any pre-scheduled program nor registration. We will give some advice about the connections from Athens/Piraeus to Hydra and some addresses for booking your accommodation, but all arrangements are up to the travellers themselves!

Photos from the 2007 meetup: http://www.cohen.1g.fi/kuvat/hydra2007/
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Re: Hydra Meetup 2009

Post by lizzytysh »

What a beautiful photo, Jarkko. If I knew how to make it my screensaver, I would. It's exactly where my mind needs to be at this very moment... with a Mythos in my hand ;-) :) .

Economy and personal finances willing, I'll be there.

Thanks for posting this photo... even for as long as I look at it, I get a respite.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
ariadne

Post by ariadne »

lizzytysh wrote:What a beautiful photo, Jarkko. If I knew how to make it my screensaver, I would. It's exactly where my mind needs to be at this very moment... with a Mythos in my hand ;-) :) .

Economy and personal finances willing, I'll be there.

Thanks for posting this photo... even for as long as I look at it, I get a respite.

~ Lizzy
Well screensavers by their very nature tend to have animation in them, but you could save the pic and turn it into the wallpaper for your computer if you want and that may be what you meant?

Right click on the pic,and then left click 'save image as', then save the pic to your computer- somewhere easy to find it later, saving it to the 'my pics' folder makes it easier later.

Close all your programme windows down/firefox/internet explorer etc. down so you are back to your basic pc desktop.

Right click on an empty space on the desktop and then left click properties.

When that has opened, left click on the second tab which says desktop.

Then click browse, it should go straight to the 'my pics' folder automatically or you can go to where you have saved the pic.

Click on the pic and then click save. That will make the pic your desktop pic, then you should be able to stretch it/centre it as you wish, the options for that are on the right side of the properties desktop tab.

That's all valid for Windows XP though, if you're on Vista you're on your own. :shock: :lol:
Paula

Post by Paula »

I am a definite maybe. I would love to return to this beautiful island with the Cohenites.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Hillyard

Post by Hillyard »

I have no idea how these forums work but we're there next June because we'd booked a fortnight and then found this Meetup thing was bang in the middle - excellent.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Hillyard-why did you make a reservation so much time ahead?! I know I'd like to come; but I don't have the faintest idea what my life will be next year!
No problem about finding the other cohenites, I'd say; if this meet up will be anything like the one from 2007 (which I hope), there will always be someone waiting in the Roloi bar (which is in the harbour, you can't miss it).
Laura
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Laura wrote:but I don't have the faintest idea what my life will be next year!
Laura
Think positive.
A lot can happen in 10 months.
You may have found the man of your dreams by next June.
If you do meet him then you can bring him along too and introduce him to everybody.

See ya there:-))

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Laura

Post by Laura »

Siiiiiighhh!!!!! Ken, I know you're nice, but that's cruel! Yeah, ok, damn it, I'm always the one who's coming alone at these meetings. I know it already, you don't have to rub it in.
You know, I was trying the "positive thinking" approach between Hydra 2007 and Hydra 2008 too... And also between 1999 and 2007 (because that's about how long I've been around here). I try it every day! And the end of every damned day comes and I find myself facing the dark still alone. Sigh again. Aaargh, Ken...
Laura
greggie

Post by greggie »

Hello. I spent a week on Hydra in the spring of 1997 and I would love to return, especially in the company of some like-minded people.
Cis

Post by Cis »

Hello, it seems to be good oportunity for trip, to see nice place and meet new people. But - how closed community meets here?
Laura

Post by Laura »

What do you mean by "close"? Anyone who likes Cohen, and a beautiful and peaceful island (don't expect too much of the noisy kind of fun) is welcomed.
Laura
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

Oh wow, that photo of my beloved island, wow, Jarkko. Wonderful to see that harbour from on high, and sorry to be so tardy in responding to this, haven't checked this section of the site for a while. It touched my heart, cos it is very similar to the view I had from my little terrace when I lived on the island in a great little house up high at the top of the Tria Pigadia Rd (3 wells) in the early nineties.

Haven't been back for a while and really wanna come next June. Can't think of a better way to return than to be with a bunch of Cohenites, yessss.
Cis

Post by Cis »

Thanks Laura, i ment that core of this forum look like "old friends" and i understand that you know personally. And I wasn't sure how much the Hydra Meetup is open to novices :-) Otherwise it's good idea..
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Hey, Cis - I believe it could not be any easier - just join any of our meetups - and you're in. We all have once been first-timers!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Cis wrote: And I wasn't sure how much the Hydra Meetup is open to novices
Cis, remember: strangers are just friends you haven't met yet.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”