A personal Hydra connection

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
Andrew (Darby)

A personal Hydra connection

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Today I had the pleasure of talking to an old Greek man, who (along with his family) I have known for 30 plus years, but not had significant contact with for perhaps 10/15 years. It was with delight that I discovered that he had worked for a couple of years on Hydra as a young teenage boy in the early 1930's, prior to migrating with his family to Australia at the age of sixteen! :o 8)

He had worked in what seemed to be the shipping agent's office selling tickets for the boat that plied daily between Hydra and Piraeus (Athens). Unfortunately I was unable to prolong the conversation, because of a time constraint, but will further explore the subject of life on Hydra with him (when I can find the next opportunity to catch up with the family). :)

Cheers
Andrew (Darby)
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever »

Dear Andrew,
It was a pleasure to read your post: the "old Greek man" you spoke so fondly of must be in his early-mid 80's (my dad's 85 this September).
Your friend lived and worked on Hydra 30 years before the island was connected to the mains supply of electricity, (which gave Leonard Cohen the excuse :wink: to write "Bird On The Wire".)
I hope you catch up with him and his family soon, and share with us his memories of Hydra.
From one Andrew to another :D .
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Andrew ~

I'll also be interested to hear whether he's been back at all to visit and, if so, whether he says anything to the effect of, "Has it ever changed, too" ~ the lament that old-timers have earned the right to say. It had to be a very interesting time back then.

~ Lizzytysh
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

I will make it my business to find out more and will post it here accordingly! :wink:

I will also add that, though he is 83 years of age, Mr B is as fit as the proverbial fiddle. This is apparently partly due to the fact that he doesn't like motor vehicles (& doesn't drive), so still mostly walks places - sometimes several miles, carrying shopping etc! His family suggested to me that his legs were strongly developed as a boy in Greece, due to the steep stairways and hilly terrain that predominate in places such as Hydra. (Those who have been to Hydra would be familiar with this.)

I can also attest to the fact that Mr B makes an excellent cup of Greek coffee! :roll:

Cheers
Andrew (Darby)
Partisan

Post by Partisan »

Darby Dear, some of us had more sense than to walk up to the Monastery.

p.
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

partisan

I was one of those allegedly sensible ones you referred to - however, I do regret my decision in some ways, as I believe the gruelling walk was worthwhile in terms of the monastery and its residents, not to mention the interesting features and magnificent views that would have been afforded during the course of the walk (particularly looking back down to Hydra harbour).

Oh well, maybe next time! :)

Andrew (Darby)

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”