The Hydra Bench: trees & bushes!!

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
jarkko
Site Admin

The Hydra Bench: trees & bushes!!

Post by jarkko »

We have a new report from Lakis.
Hydra has been totally closed - no passenger boats between Piraeus and Hydra before this week. All restaurants, taverns, cafés, hotels have been closed (with the exception of take-away food, served by some restaurants). Only a few shops have kept open.

Today things are slowly changing: the restaurants and hotels have permission to re-open. Boats go again to and from Piraeus. This is a positive turn but it is clear that the 2020 tourist season will be short. Next weeks most visitors will be Greek citizens as international flights to Athens are only slowly re-starting, and it's not known yet when the day cruises to a number of islands, including Hydra, will begin again.

Lakis also told us that now we have trees and bushes around our LC Bench. See photos below!!

ImageImage
ImageImage

Looks great, and with time the trees and bushes will offer a nice shadow for those who are sitting on our bench!
Thanks to Lakis for the good news!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Goldin

Re: The Hydra Bench: trees & bushes!!

Post by Goldin »

So nice to hear the news from Hydra, thanks for sharing it, Jarkko!
Let's hope things are going to improve soon — everywhere, just like nearby our lovely bench :razz:
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Beautiful! Thanks, Jarkko and Lakis.
The longing for Hydra is strong right now...
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Thanks for the update, looks great 👍. I sincerely hope that we can visit the island June next year and we all can enjoy the shade of the trees during the Hydra meetup.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Thanks for the update Jarkko (and Lakis). It;s good to see that the trees and bushes are in place at last.

We were originally booked to leave for Hydra tomorrow morning. We had no choice but to cancel but I miss it like crazy. It's going to be a long wait till 2021.

Wendy
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Thank you Jarkko and Lakis for the update. Here's hoping that we all feel safe in travelling to Hydra in 2021. Like others, I miss it so much....
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Thanks Jarkko... lovely to see! :D

I’ve also been missing Hydra, particularly as I’m now reading Polly Samson’s ‘A Theatre for Dreamers’, which beautifully conjures up everything about Hydra I relate to and, of course, what it means for us as Cohenites. 8)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
B4real

Post by B4real »

That's good to know, thanks Jarkko!
Great to see some greenery.

That bush does seem close to the sign but maybe it's just the camera angle.

Ah, I nearly made it to Hydra very early in June three years ago to celebrate a milestone birthday for me.
Even though I didn't make it then, It's so nice to know that my name did :D
https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 90#p364321
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”