The Spanish tribute tour continues

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

The Spanish tribute tour continues

Post by jarkko »

The following January dates have been confirmed for more "Acordes con Leonard Cohen" tribute nights:

12th, Bilbao, Sala BEC, 10 PM

13th, Sant Cugat del Valles (Barcelona), Teatre Auditori, 9.30 PM

14th, Lleida, Auditori, 8 PM.

More about this tour in the following thread:
viewtopic.php?t=6321&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Here is the list of artists of these Acordes con Leonard Cohen concerts (Thanks to Alberto Manzano, the promoter of the tour!)

jackson browne / john cale / anjani thomas / adam cohen / perla batalla / luis eduardo aute / santiago auseron / christina rosenvinge / duquende / jabier muguruza / mayte martin / toti soler / javier colis

The band:
kevin mccormick, javier mas, charlie cepeda, raul rodriguez, jimmy gonzalez, alvaro gandul, alex bublitchi, jabier muguruza, mireia otzerinjauregi, perla batalla
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What instrument does Perla play?

~ Lizzy
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

back vocals :lol:
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

From Alberto Manzano, promoter of the tour:
"We're gonna probably change the concert in Bilbao to Girona. I'll let you know. Suzanne Vega has confirmed her participation in the shows"
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Wow Suzanne Vega!! :lol:

She already participated in the tribute "Tower of Song" (1995) with "Story of Isaac" and later she sang with John Cale "So long Marianne" (Bleecker Street: Greenwich Village in the 60's; USA 1999). Cale will return to participate in this tour, they are old Leonard's fans. What songs will they sing? Will Cale sing the magnificent Alexandra Leaving again? I am already impatient.

If the change of Bilbao for Girona is confirmed, all the tour will be developed in Catalonia. We are privileged people. I ask if it would be interesting to include more Catalan singers.

This weekend will release a CD with a new cover of "Hallelujah" in Catalan (100.000 copies). TV3 (the public television of the Government of Catalonia), offers "La Marató", a long solidarity program to collaborate in the fight against the chronic pain. Gerard Quintana has prepared this adaptation near his mother who for years has been suffering chronic pain. Gerard Quintana said than Hallelujah reflects pain, pain in the love.

Quintana has one long professional trajectory, among other things has published with Jordi Batiste two discs of Bob Dylan's covers, a great success. Jordi Batiste is another Cohen's fan, in the Tribute of the 70 anniversary of Leonard in Barcelona (21 Set 2004), organized by Jorcx, Jordi Batiste gave a fantastic Hallelujah (Jeff Buckley style).

We can't forget to Jorcx. He has released "Jorcx interpretra Cohen" a CD with 14 songs of Leonard, a great and extraordinary work in which shows his admiration for our poet.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Here are finally the confirmed venues for the January tour:

Friday 12th, Els Hostalets de Balenyà (BCN), Pabello Municipal
Saturday 13th, Sant Cugat del Vallès (BCN), Teatre Auditori
Sunday 14th, Lleida, Auditori

I'm going to see the Saturday concert on my way to Madrid where I will have an audit starting on Monday. I was lucky to combine the concert with a business trip!
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Great! Really lucky. :lol:

I hope that you will have a moment to met us in Sant Cugat.

I am thinking about remembering that you liked the Hallelujah of Enrique Morente. In this new tour we have lost all the representatives of the Andalusian music except Duquende who sang The Gypsy's Wife, a very interesting cover in my opinion.

Chema says to us that Constantino Romero will present the show and he will recite some poem. This veteran journalist interviewed Leonard in 1974, only 32 years ago :shock: . I keep the papers of this interview as one of my first pieces of the collection. I scanned the photo:

Photo Albert Fortuny, Vibraciones November 1974.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Interesting photo with that look on Leonard's face, as he's looking away from [presumably] the interviewer.

~ Lizzy
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Yes Lizzy, he was Constantino Romero, the interviewer. Here is another photo of that day:

Photo Albert Fortuny, Vibraciones November 1974.

~

Though it does not fit to this thread, I include here as a local topic.

The last night C33 (channel of the public Catalan television) broadcasted "De Llibres" (About books), a literary program dedicated to the Book of Longing.

In times my passion for Leonard Cohen seems to me as an intimate and solitary activity, so I surprised to see four intellectual ones declaring themselves deep fans.

In 45 minutes they spoke about many things and always with love and admiration. When I turned off the television I said to myself: "One of us cannot be wrong".
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

In times my passion for Leonard Cohen seems to me as an intimate and solitary activity, so I surprised to see four intellectual ones declaring themselves deep fans.
Is this your own comment or one made on the program, FYS? It would seem to be you. Either way, I agree, and it is very well said.

Going by the photos, Leonard seemed to be very serious in this interview.

~ Lizzy
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

It is my point of view, I think that my relation with Cohen is old and intimate.

But I think that we are a lot of people with these feelings for Leonard. Everyday it's more evident, all this tributes... We are The Army.

The interview was transcendent enough, spoke about Lorca, the Jewish problem... In the concert he reminded the moments of change that we were living in Spain.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks, FYS. That's what I thought and just wanted to be sure. Thanks, too, for clarifying regarding the interview's content.

~ Lizzy
ForYourSmile

Warm up, part 1 of 3.

Post by ForYourSmile »

Warm up, part 1 of 3.

I will try to do a kind of previous, a warm up for the concert, specially dedicated to the people who will visit us.

Sant Cugat del Vallès.
Barcelona extends between the sea and the mountains. Crossing for a tunnel this small coastal mountain chain (Collserola) we come in few time to Sant Cugat.

This population has grown too much. Its major attraction is the Monastery:

It is a bit different from Mount Baldy. It is formed by a walled buildings (S.XIV), contains a magnificent cloister (S.XII), around it are the church, the boardroom (Sala Capitular) and the dependencies of the monastery. The architecture is Romanesque and Gothic. The monastery has been important in the history of Catalonia.

The Teatre Auditori was constructed in 1993, it has an audience of 788 spectators:

We are in winter, the weather is cold but of course not so much like in Finland.

Our gastronomy is based on the Mediterranean cuisine; olive oil, very good fished, meats and excellent wines, of the Panedès for example. There are magnificent restaurants in Catalonia with chefs internationally recognised. At the end, Anjani remained impressed by the Iberian ham.

The past tour was developed for tourist places, in the coast, and the concerts were placing in summer festivals, as a cultural amusement for people in holiday. "Acordes con Cohen", with well know national and international artists, attracted enough public, but not necessarily fans or experts of Cohen. The atmosphere was not that of the Cohen's concerts in Barcelona or in the presentation of the film "I'm your man" or what I think that it was in Dublin. Let's hope that in Sant Cugat will be better. But is not help the price of the ticket (60 Euros) or the location of the concert. It is not easy to find in Barcelona good scenic free spaces. This time this concert is inside the festival Barna Sants, a good program of songwriters. The effort to produce these tours has to be enormous. This madness only can be understood as a example of the admiration by Leonard Cohen. Alberto Manzano has my respect as well as the whole people who take part in this.
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Warm up, part 2 of 3.

Luis Eduardo Aute.

Aute is one of the big Spanish songwriters also he is poet and painter. He has a good nose "with the gift of a golden voice". I don't know if the taxes worry him, but he has interest for sex, love, death, life... He has known personally Cohen. I am a fan of Aute too.

He was advertised in the past tour but didn't come. In my information he would sing "The Future", I know that he will not have problem in saying that one of "give me crack and anal sex".

Santiago Auseron.

He was the composer and singer of Radio Futura (1980-1992) one of the best Spanish groups of the eighties. With the name Juan Perro, takes part in different projects of Latin American music. He has a wide intellectual base and collaborates in diverse magazines, publications and translations.

Christina Rosenvinge.

She took part in the past tribute with an elegant Spanish cover of "Famous Blue Raincoat". Her career began at the end of the eighties in the "movida madrileña", developed different projects in South America, in 2001 released in USA "Frozen Pool" with "Seems so long ago, Nancy" in English, of the most beautiful covers that I know.

Duquende.

I have to say that I don't like much the "flamenco" (Andalusian music) but "The Gypsy's Wife" in Spanish filled with enthusiasm to me. The style of this gypsy is "cante jondo" (deep sing). In my opinion it is an example of how it is possible to do a very different cover respecting the spirit of the song, and, maybe, opening new ways.

Mayte Martin.

She is flamenco's songwriter of Barcelona. She sang a magnificent and emotive "Hey, that's not way to say goodbye" in Spanish.

Jabier Muguruza.

He is a songwriter Basque and accordionist. Together with Mireia Otzerinjauregi sang "Chelsea Hotel" in Spanish and "So long, Marianne" in Euskera (the Basques' language). Then we have a new language in our list of covers.

Toti Soler.

He released in 1972 "Liebeslied" with the cover "Suzanne" in Catalan, one of the first Cohen's covers. This disc has been fundamental in my adolescence. In 1996 Joan Manuel Serrat selected the songs that he considered more significant for a Catalan generation, our soundtrack, de name of the disc was "D'un temps d'un país" (Of a time of a country), he adapted "Suzanne" again. It was a tribute to Toti and to Cohen too.

Toti is a virtuous of the Spanish guitar. His voice is extremely delicate, slight adapted in big concerts.

Javier Colis.

He's other songwriter and creator of experimental electronic art. He sang in duo with Perla Batalla "Ballad of the absent mare" then with the band "The butcher" and "Tonight will be fine" in Spanish. It was cool, very funny and a surprising performance for me. A spectacular guy. I want to return to see him. A Tonight very different from that of Teddy.

Return to “News”