Un As Der Rebbe Singt - Vienna 1976

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
peter danielsen

Un As Der Rebbe Singt - Vienna 1976

Postby peter danielsen » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:25 pm

It may have been posted before but I do love this
http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?s ... Ms3&ref=nf
Peter
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
Womanfromaroom

Re: Un As Der Rebbe Singt - Vienna 1976

Postby Womanfromaroom » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:46 pm

Thanks, Peter - I never knew that there was a video of this, I only had got it as an MP3 file!
Yes, I love it a lot, too...
Does any of you know what that banner in the background was all about? It apparently says: "To stay (here) is solidarity" (if I read the German original correctly, it is not very clear)...
Last edited by Womanfromaroom on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
brightnow

Postby brightnow » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:56 pm

Thanks Peter!
Here's a direct link to YouTube (same video) for those who can't/won't log in to Facebook:
http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DIPvp ... %3Drelated
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:26 am

Thank Peter for posting this - even thought I've seen it before, I love seeing over and over again. And Avi, thanks for your consideration in posting to link for us non-facebook members!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Lilifyre

Postby Lilifyre » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:01 am

Oh, this is precious in so many ways. I love the hair...Jewish Afro...ahhhhh, memories of my younger years.
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
bridger15

Postby bridger15 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:05 am

I have seen this delightful video many times before. I have always wondered why the Youtube title (translated) of this traditional Yiddish folksong is called, "When the rebbe sings". Leonard is singing, "When the rebbe sleeps".

I learned that he is singing only one verse of the song in this clip. (Lyrics below)

A little background:
Yiddish Folksong

Eastern European Jews brought to the New World their colorful heritage and culture. One can imagine a shtetl, a small, poor,isolated community, self-contained by law. There are many daily tribulations; the rabbi's song provides an opportunity for some light-hearted relief. In the Chassidic movement that flourished among Eastern European Jewery, the way to spiritual experience was through dancing and singing. So, do what the rabbi does, friends! If he sings, sing; if the dances, dance . . . Of course, while one should indeed do whatever the rabbi does because, after all, the rabbi sets the best example, there may be a foolishness in copying everything he does!
Lyrics Translation, etc.

Az der rebe zingt
Zingn ale khasidim

Az der rebe tantzt
Tantzn ale khasidim

(LC)
Az der rebe shlof
Shlofn ale khasidim

Az der rebe lakht
Lakhn ale khasidim

Az der rebe est
Fresn ale khasidim

Un az der rebe redt
Shvaygn ale khasidim!
When the rebbe sings,
All the khasidim sing,

And when he dances,
They all dance,

(LC)
And when he sleeps,
All the khasidim sleep,

And when he laughs,
They all laugh with him,

When he eats,
They also stuff themselves,

But when he talks,
The khasidim are quiet.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
stella s.

Postby stella s. » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:12 am

Does any of you know what that banner in the background was all about? It apparently says: "To stay (here) is solidarity" (if I read the German original correctly, it is not very clear)...
Hi,
I think I can help. This is the story behind the banner: Back in the 70's in Vienna a former slaughterhouse called St. Marx was used as a cultural center for young people. But in 1976 the city council decided to tear it down. So hundreds of young people seized the building and tried to save their cultural center. They were supported by austrian artists. When Leonard Cohen played a concert in Vienna he heard the story and after the concert he went there to support these people fighting for their cultural center.

And this is the end of the story: after 101 days the occupants had to leave the building but the city council gave them a nearby building where they founded a new cultural center called "Arena".

You understand german, I assume. Here is the whole story: http://www.wienweb.at/content.aspx?menu=1&cid=107620

I discovered this video some month ago and watch it from time to time because it reminds me of my childhood (my father used to listen to Yiddish folksongs) and my teenage days, which were filled with Leonard Cohen's music. :D
bridger15

Postby bridger15 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:44 am

Thank you Stella, for bringing this to the Forum.
stella s. wrote:
Hi,
I think I can help. This is the story behind the banner: Back in the 70's in Vienna a former slaughterhouse called St. Marx was used as a cultural center for young people. But in 1976 the city council decided to tear it down. So hundreds of young people seized the building and tried to save their cultural center. They were supported by austrian artists. When Leonard Cohen played a concert in Vienna he heard the story and after the concert he went there to support these people fighting for their cultural center.

And this is the end of the story: after 101 days the occupants had to leave the building but the city council gave them a nearby building where they founded a new cultural center called "Arena".

You understand german, I assume. Here is the whole story: http://www.wienweb.at/content.aspx?menu=1&cid=107620

I discovered this video some month ago and watch it from time to time because it reminds me of my childhood (my father used to listen to Yiddish folksongs) and my teenage days, which were filled with Leonard Cohen's music. :D
Google Translation
30 years Arena Instrumentation
Artikel 11.6.2006
On 27 June marks the occupation of the old arena in Erdberg 30 Thousands of activists were fighting time 101 days long for the preservation of the former slaughterhouse. The new arena will celebrate with open-air concerts and will be then "Arenauten" to speak. The slaughterhouse was demolished at the end, the dream of a better world in that time Vienna was so gray.

by Denise Riedlinger

"We knew - it is occupied," says Beatrix Bove, frontwoman of the butterflies. Elfriede Jelinek, Leonard Cohen, Peter Turrini, Lukas Resetarits - all came in the summer of `76 to make the former slaughterhouse on the free international cultural center. On the area was a summer long lived grassroots democracy: Everyone was talking about. Conflicts between different groups were as inevitable. Students, single mothers, apprentices and artists wanted only one thing: a place for a social and cultural character, living together.

Vienna's boiling over

After the last performance of the Vienna Festival, 27 June was a jolt through Vienna. Beatrix Empson spent the night. Like hundreds of others who had previously celebrated on the anti-Naschmarkt Schleiferfest. They were used by the butterflies, especially Willi Resetarits, asked after the concert: "There, now, let's ask everyone in the arena and filled it." The crowd then moved on foot from the Naschmarkt after Erdberg. On one should be 101 nights.

Broad support for idealists

The police tolerated the squatters with the "zerrissensten jeans that you ever saw," reported at the time of the courier. Crown and the ORF-editors of the youth program "without muzzles" supported the action. The then Vice-Mayor Gertrude Fröhlich-Sander came to the area around the "invite speakers" into the town hall. "The arena was a playground for flourishing democratic," recalls Beatrix Bove. It operated during the occupation of the "Cafe pigsty."

The "most beautiful square in Europe"

They sat on feeding troughs and telephone books, ate donated cakes and pastry shop Demel debated endlessly about politics, life and art. The kids in the children were cared for. The Viennese emergency caused by sympathy for the medical care. The butterflies came to squatters band. Leonard Cohen dropped by and called the former foreign slaughterhouse "the most beautiful square in Europe - now!"

Social policy from the ground up

At 23.30 clock it was then called "curfew". The gray Vienna of the 70s was overflowing in front of people who were hungry for culture, away from the Burgtheater and the concert hall: the dreaded "rockers" with their motorcycles, the unemployed, social workers, artists, apprentices. The sprawling grounds of the slaughterhouse, with its overseas stores, fields and warehouses has been for all those who wish to project their dream of a free world. A Simmering apprentice put it this way: "We have nothing else, where we can go, which is free. When this is over, we stop hanging around again." When the arena was about more than a cultural center.

A painful compromise

All just an illusion? Bove: "They thought perhaps we can play an bissl, the area is already sold anyway. They are supposed to hold a summer fun, have at some point it gets cold and we turn off the power. It is indeed happens too . There was some cold. " With the new arena on the adjacent site of the hard core of the occupiers was not happy. Their concept has later WUK partially implemented. Nevertheless, an opportunity was lost at that time. Nothing that the occupation was not.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
j6ppc

Postby j6ppc » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:01 am

Does any of you know what that banner in the background was all about? It apparently says: "To stay (here) is solidarity" (if I read the German original correctly, it is not very clear)..
That is correct as far as I can read the blurry banner = verbleiben ist solidaritat. I'd probably translate it as "to remain is solidarity"
Bests

Jon

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”