Dublin tribute reviews & photos

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Diane

Post by Diane »

I agree with all you say Andrea. Thanks for all these write-ups and pics including Dick's write-up on the front page! How do you guys recall things in so much detail?! Yes, now all we need is a good quality video/audio of the concert(s) and we'll be sorted. I would love to have a recording of Antony doing the Guests (as If it be Your Will is on the album) and also Teddy T doing Waiting for the Miracle and Lou Reed's Stranger Song, these especially, as they were so extraordinary. It will be a great pity if those who weren't there don't get to hear the concert...

Cheers,

Diane :D

ps Jarkko I love the bottom pic of you all trying to figure out where to go :wink: .
Davido

Post by Davido »

Thanks for that last sentiment, Diane. I have not been able to attend any of the tribute concerts and would love to hear/see any recordings. (I have a lot of live concert recordings to trade....).
I also think Antony (& the Johnsons) are great. I have some live gig recordings and dvd (includes 'The Guests') if you are interested, Diane.
I think it was last year when Antony&J won the Mercury music prize for 'I am a bird now'. Fantastic!
Diane

Post by Diane »

Davido, that is very good of you. Another kind person is sending me some Antony, not sure exactly what yet, but I will PM you tonight. Many thanks :) !

Diane
Mandy

Dublin concert

Post by Mandy »

I really missed Leonard!

But the trip was worth it just to learn of and hear Anthony singing 'If it be your will' & 'The guests' - He is something else! An album of Cohen songs by him would be Monumental & Beautiful.
It was also really lovely to walk back along the quay into Dublin with thousands of people clutching 'Came so far for beauty' programmes and the River Liffey echoing " no one knows where the night is going.....'
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Also I'm more angered than baffled about the sniffy 'Las Vegas' put down of Perla's peformance.
Well I wrote it as I heard it - the song has rarely been done so badly, so blandly, so filled with sequins and wrist wiggling and finger twisting. In tune yes but without heart, soul, emotion or feeling.
It sounded like Elvis in his shiniest days of sequinned overproduction.
I know others loved it but "has it come to this and wasn't it a long way down" to hear an exquisite and raw song turned into a show tune?
Give us a break
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Just read your comments Lizzytish - but I reiterate what I wrote above about Bird on the Wire.
And NO - the streets of Dublin are not all that narrow.
And No- we don't all drink endless Guinness.
And seriously - where has everybody been for the past 12 months that they haven't known of Antony's voice?
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

My first experience of Antony's amazing voice was at The Bridgewater Hall in Manchester back in May 2003, when he was a backing vocalist in Lou Reed's band on The Raven tour.

His rendition of Candy Says that night was simply stunning.

If anyone does have some good recordings of his live performances, I'd love to hear from you!
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Red Poppy, hearing about Antony's voice, and hearing it live aren't quite the same thing...

Seems there is a consensus that he stole the show.

Diane
Diane

Post by Diane »

Hi Mandy,

I must confess that I thought Leonard might make an appearance on the Thursday but it wasn't to be. An album of Cohen songs by Antony, what a marvellous thought.
It was also really lovely to walk back along the quay into Dublin with thousands of people clutching 'Came so far for beauty' programmes and the River Liffey echoing " no one knows where the night is going.....

Wasn't it, yes. I like your description.

Welcome to the forum! What first drew you to Leonard Cohen?

Diane
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Live yes but a lot of people seem not to have come across him at all, which amazes me.
Wish you well with the album of LC songs.
I can't say I'd be rushing to buy it.
Can't see what he'd do that LC wouldn't do a thousand times better.
But there you are - subjectivity.
I see you beat Cyprus tonight -more than we did but at least we held the bouncing Czechs!
Kush

Post by Kush »

Can't see what he'd do that LC wouldn't do a thousand times better
Its not a question of better or worse... it will be different. A different flavor, a different spice or ingredient in the chicken masala.

Viva la diffrance (or however you spell it!)
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Viva la diffrance (or however you spell it!)

Yes, Kush! That is an excellent description.

Once one has heard Leonard's excellent versions as many times as some of us have-listening for distinguishing changes in other versions becomes an addicting curiousity.

Dear Red Poppy,

I've heard Perla's version live(twice)...I've heard Las Vegas (it's not that)...her version is heartfelt with an amazing vocal power that transforms the doubt that exists in the original version into an amazing affirmation of everything that Leonard has presented to us. I really think you need to listen again. She does have a big voice, but why should she reign it in when singing a song that addresses the fundamental issues of life. If you've heard the tranformations of "Bird on the Wire" in Leonard's own performances over the years, you've probably noted the changes that he has made to its musical production- and Perla's is a logical and reasonable step in the continuum of its musical life.

Joe
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Joe Way wrote:Once one has heard Leonard's excellent versions as many times as some of us have-listening for distinguishing changes in other versions becomes an...
bad experience, and wanting even more Leonard's own versions :lol:

I searched for correct phrase to describe Perla's BotW (after I heard and saw it on NYC Willner's DVD) for few years... I came out with "Celine Perla Dion", "Perla meets Monty Python Christmas in Heaven" and few others, but "Las Vegas" is the good one :roll:

But I agree with Kush, Viva la différence! (and différance!)
Diane

Post by Diane »

Perla meets Monty Python Christmas in Heaven
:lol:

Tom, what did you think of Ann Vriend's BotW in Berlin? I thought it was the best song she did there, and wonderful.

Red P, I know it's only rock n roll but I like it! Btw, where were you when some of us here met up in the pub in Dublin? It would have been fun to meet with your contrary Irish self.

Diane
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Diane wrote:Tom, what did you think of Ann Vriend's BotW in Berlin? I thought it was the best song she did there, and wonderful.
She reminded me of Perla.

Do not pull the devil's tongue (or something like that), Diane - I wrote what I think about Ann in "Dublin" thread in Other Gatherings section, few days ago... (direct link to my post)

Return to “News”