http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?theme=29

Green=Low

Blue=Guarded

Yellow=Elevated

High =Orange

Red= Severe

I thought it was a clever choice as it played with the sad
situation of the modern world, transforming the disgusting manipulation
of people through fear by the goverments to a"guarded" state of the romantic(=blue) heart.

Well just my 2 cents.

What do you think?

Dem
david birkett

Blue Alert - meaning thereof

Post by david birkett »

I have been assuming it is playing with two meanings of the word 'blue' to provide a warning about the consequences of love affairs. One meaning is of sadness (as in 'the blues') and the other refers to the atmosphere of fevered and dangerous eroticism that pervades the song (as in 'blue movies').

The implication I read is that we better watch out for the consequences of passionate infatuation.

But then, as someone said, 'language is a bad translation.'

DB
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I took it clearly as what you're saying, David, on the first of the two meanings of 'blue.' I hadn't arrived at the second one, yet.

Your interpretation, Dem, holds favour in terms of Leonard's erotica-love-politico writing. It would depend on when the alert levels were devised, as opposed to when the song was written... with all the references to blue, including the title. If they were in effect during the time of its writing, it certainly can't be excluded... since the song relates to 'need of' 'guardedness,' in fear of love's eventually bringing the blues.

~ Lizzy
Dem

Post by Dem »

http://tinyurl.com/rde62
"The color code system was created by Presidential Directive six months after the terror attacks of September 11, 2001, to provide a "comprehensive and effective means to disseminate information regarding the risk of terrorist acts to Federal, State, and local authorities and to the American people."

(read: "to terrorize and manipulate the people
so that they trust and don't question the actions of Federal, State, and local authorities")

When was the song writen?

Dem
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I figured it was devised as a result of September 11th... since that's when I was aware of its beginning to be used... and may have known then that it was created then [of course, I don't trust all of its usages, but then that's a given].

As to when the song was written, I have no idea when the germ of it was created, but its finalization seems to have occurred with Leonard and Anjani's collaboration. I have no idea what content and verbiage were pre-existing and what, not. It's looking like you could be on to something, though :) .

~ Lizzy
dick

Post by dick »

June 30, Montreal Jazz Festival, Anjani fantastic live performances of 9 of the songs ----

intro to blue alert --- we have been questioned many times -- what is the key meaning......

her answer

listen to your heart.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Perfect answer 8) .

I'm delighted you got to go and watch her, Dick 8) . How is Linda enjoying Anjani's singing and their collaboration? A great concert by the sounds of it ~ 9 of the songs 8) !

~ Lizzy
dick

Post by dick »

Linda and I both loved the concert, and hope it will travel to many more locales!

What a show!
Dem

Post by Dem »

that was a no-answer answer.

Dem
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes... beautiful and with shades of Leonard 8) .

~ Lizzy

Return to “Blue Alert”