May 13th: Leonard and Anjani Live in Toronto

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

In its unique way, a passing on of the torch. A firm manifestation of his comments on how perfectly Anjani delivers his songs :D .

Someone, besides Leonard, has to be able to deliver his songs perfectly, to his satisfaction. In its unique way[operative words there], it is a passing on of the torch.

Funny how I never noticed in marathons how the runners drop dead or are transported to ICU after handing off the torch. Guess I need to pay more attention :wink: .

~ Lizzy
Dem

Post by Dem »

Dear Lizzy,

you obviously mean the "relay"
and not the "marathon".
And the relays are short distance
track sports (usually 4x100m
and 4x400m) on which runners usually
don't drop dead at the end :)

Anyway,in my humble opinion,
there is noone in this world
to whom LC could
"pass the torch".

Dem
lightning

Post by lightning »

Maybe it's a passing on of the female cover artists' Judy Collins/ Jennifer Warnes torch, but not the author Leonard Cohen's "torch."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You're right, Demetris, I did mean the relay vs. the marathon. Since Leonard's "imminent" demise was the issue of such 'concern' to Red Poppy, however, it wouldn't matter which it was :wink: ... death and passing on of torches are not synonymous or even inextricably linked.

Of course, no one but Leonard can write songs like Leonard can, or can sing Leonard's songs like Leonard can, or ever will. That's a given. So, any consideration of torches must be in the sense of unique, atypical of the normal sense of the phrase. It remains that Leonard is more than highly pleased with Anjani's delivery and nuances afforded his writing. Even moreso than what he'd had in mind. I recall his mentioning this, too, with regard to Sharon's treatment of at least one song in Ten New Songs. Leonard is a taskmaster with regard to himself, much less others, when it comes to how they perform what he's written. He's deeply appreciative of the covers that people do; however, he's 'out of the mix' with these. When his name is directly attached, as in his concerts, recordings, and producings, it's a different story. His very high standards come directly into play.

~ Lizzy
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

What????????????????????????
Anne

Today's event

Post by Anne »

Okay.

I usually post articles here rather than talk about my experiences, but I don't know if there are a million article about this yet, though I am sure there will be tomorrow.
I went down to the event at Indigo. I was expecting to hear Anjani sing, and to maybe hear Leonard read a poem. Actually, I was expecting that he would just introduce Anjani. Instead, after Ron Sexsmith sang a song, and the Barenaked Ladies sang a song, there was another break, then Leonard read a poem and then he introduced Anjani. Anjani sang four of the songs from the new album and then she announced that Leonard would be JOINING her for the next song! It was great! He came out and they sang 'Never got to Love you' (by far my favourite song on the album, btw). The crowd went wild. Also, screaming thank you, Leonard! (We are so Canadian!) He then went on to sing So long Marianne and Hey, that's no way to say Good bye!
I just couldn't believe it! It was so amazing! His voice sounded great, in really good form. The whole crowd was so happy. Leonard and Anjani both seemed to have a wonderful time. Anjani talked about how much she loved Toronto. All in all, a really great day. I am sending pics to Jarkko. I hope he will find some of them good enough to do something with.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Actually Leonard showed up very early (around 11:00 AM) for a soundcheck. There were only about half-a-dozen of us there and we were right at the stage as he did a couple of numbers. He even signed my first edition of "Death of a Lady's Man"! He shook hands with a few people. I have lots of close up shots I'll try to post soon.

All in all a great day!

Kent
dick

Post by dick »

Anne and Kent

Thanks for the feedback!

Sounds like it was a fantastic day. Sure hope New York also gets a show.

Tell us more about crowd size, weather, length of show, etc. Envy you both and sorry I didn't make the trip.

Dick
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

First photos from Anne have been posted on The Files at
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/indigo2006.html

More photos and texts for the page would be very appreciated from all our members who were able to see those obviosly wonderful moments! Please send me by email to ja@nebula.fi
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Anne and Kent thank you for the feed back, Anne as far as I'm concern I'm always interested to read about your experiences, much more than about articles, well, for some very good articles : as much.

It is good to know that he is in really good form on stage.
Reading Book of Longing, it was obvious that he still is, as a writer, but singing is all another matter.
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me »

Kent the early bird gets the meet up ~ lucky you.

Thanks for the photos Anne they truned out very well.

Did he say anything about coming to Fredericton, Moncton Saint John, Halifax???? When is he going to announce his tour????? It is great to see him in the light after all his previous troubles.

I agree with Tchocolate don't bother reading reviews, bought the book and would rather discuss it with people rather than reading the opinion of critics. The only thing that matters to me is that I like it. esp the pictures.
Cheers & DLight
Tri-me (tree-mite) Sheldrön
"Doorhinge rhymes with orange" Leonard Cohen
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What an enchanting photo of these two, both with their eyes closed and so seriously singing their song. Lovely expressions and I love the shaft of light coming from the right. Just beautiful! Great shot, Anne 8) . AND seeing Leonard sing two of his wonderful classics :D 8) :D !! Now, I'm off to see the other photos :D . [Just saw them and looking forward to the rest ~ even the rain knew to wait... the rain did not fall down because Leonard is This Year's Man :) .]

Thanks to both you and Kent for your feedback. That's great that you were able to get Leonard's signature on your first edition, Kent 8) .

I can't wait for this concert tour :D !!

~ Lizzy
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

http://www.canada.com/topics/entertainm ... 11&k=36692

Cassandra Szklarski, Canadian Press
Published: Saturday, May 13, 2006 Article tools

* * * * TORONTO (CP) - He's best known as Canada's most influential singer-songwriter and sensual poet, but on Saturday, Leonard Cohen was an anxious stage mother.

Crouched in the dark corner of an outdoor stage, his elbows rested on his knees and his eyes were fixed on his romantic partner, Anjani Thomas, as she braved her first-ever live performance of songs they wrote together.

Singing words Cohen had written, the dark-haired Hawaiian beauty cooed through a short set as her mentor watched silently, hands clasped together in front of his lips, mouthing the words.

But it was Cohen whom the several hundred book and music fans had gathered to see and it was only when he took the stage with Thomas that the street roared with cheers and applause.

"My apologies to pedestrians and drivers if they're inconvenienced," Cohen joked before reciting a poem from Book of Longing, his first collection in more than a decade.

The free concert, held on the edge of Toronto's ritzy Yorkville district, was a celebration of Cohen's return to the top of the literary charts - Indigo books president Heather Reisman declared Book of Longing the No. 1 best-seller in the country, the first book of poetry to reach that lofty position in Canadian history.

"We must be doing something right here," a giddy Reisman said to an audience that included her tycoon husband, Gerry Schwartz, and Toronto film director Robert Lantos.

The outdoor concert, which also featured performances by folk/pop singer Ron Sexsmith and members of the Barenaked Ladies, was one of several to take over the streets of Toronto on an overcast day.

Pop-punksters Fallout Boy got more than 3,000 fans screaming along to their hits during a free half-hour show along the city's main tourist strip.

After that, they and fellow emo rockers All-American Rejects took over Queen Street for a live MuchMusic appearance.

Several dozen fans, mostly teenaged girls, had waited as long as seven hours for an earlier radio station appearance by Fall Out Boy.

At the outdoor concert, they waved at cameras and screeched out lyrics as bassist Pete Wentz offered choreographed moves and audience banter the band's perfected after three months on the road.

"How many people here want to live forever and never get old?" Wentz asked to screams from the crowd.

The boys were to hit Europe for a week of shows after playing their last North American date in Toronto on Saturday night.

The 71-year-old Cohen, meanwhile, elicited repeated calls for encores from his significantly older crowd.

He sheepishly obliged, gingerly approaching the mike alongside Sexsmith and Barenaked Ladies frontman Steve Page.

"You guys start, I'll figure out a way to get in," Cohen said to his bandmates, who launched into So Long, Marianne.

It wasn't long before Cohen took the mike on his own, his velvety baritone resonating through the first drops of rain.

The eagerly received performance comes as Cohen emerges from near financial collapse after millions were bilked from his retirement savings.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

There are more comments about the Indigo Event on the Dylan Forum at
http://pool.dylantree.com/phorum5/read.php?1,536232

(Thanks to Kiri who sent the link!)
Dem

Post by Dem »

And the above article has one more
paragraph on page 2 Jarkko :-)
Aside from the book, Cohen is helping to promote Thomas's debut jazz CD, Blue Alert, which he co-wrote and produced.

© The Canadian Press 2006

Dem

Return to “News”