Is Leonard Cohen less than 5 feet tall?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
rocksoff

Is Leonard Cohen less than 5 feet tall?

Post by rocksoff »

I was very shocked to read somewhere that Leonard Cohen is a quite vertically challenged person, not that that is an important characteristic of anybody. But if he is below 5 foot, then this would change my image of him when I hear his great voice. I have for many years now always thought of him as of being average height, 5 foot 8 or so, and I hope he is near this. It would really spoil his music for me.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear R,

Moot point if ever there was one.....
"It would really spoil his music for me." ~ This leaves me speechless, except to question what you've ever really gotten from it to begin with.

Lizzytysh
George.Wright

Height of Cohen

Post by George.Wright »

irrelevant if he is mini-me or Godzilla
his soul is still pure
georges
rocksoff

The short height of cohen

Post by rocksoff »

If Lenny came out on stage and I saw that he was much shorter than i had expected, I for one would be very distracted by this, although my admiration for such a short person to be able to produce such a marvellous voice woul soar higher. But I must say, one's view of such a voice would undoubtedly be adversely affected, and instead of being focused on the great voice, I think that most people would be saying to themselves: "I never realised he was so short." It's like, I suppose, finding out one morning that your wife has been wearing big falsies all those years.
Kush

Post by Kush »

I really hope LC is no more than 5' 2'' and weighs no more than 180 lbs. Coz' that would really spoil his music for me. I'll never listen to him again...although I have to admit that my admiration for him would go up since I can't imagine a person taller than 5'2'' can produce such a marvellous voice...
rocksoff

Post by rocksoff »

Kush: Paul Simon is another one who is very short, I belive in the region of 4'8", and gettin shorter as he ages. But in his case, his short staure perfectly matches his faint little voice. Lenny however has a really deep voice, that you would expect from someone who is tall and at least of average height. And yet he apparently isn't. Maybe the smoking affected the voice (making it deeper) as well as the height (stunting his growth)?

Post by Guest »

He wouldn't lie would he? He says he is 5ft. 8 in. on his passport. Off course that was 1959, shrinking a foot or so in forty plus years is possible. Cigarettes and booze will shrink you right up!!
BlueNote

Strange soft rock

Post by BlueNote »

Moins grand qu'on l'imagine, Leonard Cohen a d'autres façons d'être imposant. A commencer par cette voix caverneuse et cette élocution apaisée qui inspirent une confiance et un respect immédiat.
-Yann Zitouni
This is an extract from an article on Yahoo Music site.

Maybe this is what you read.

I don't understand at all why he choosed 'voix caverneuse' to describe Leonard Cohen's voice.

And certainly not why he began the article with 'Moins grand qu'on l'imagine' unless he had think for years that LC was a giant.

but I'm not Yann Zitouni.

For me he is not big, he is not small, he is a thousand kisses deep tall. And his eyes are green.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thank you, Kush....I loved your sardonic reply.

Thank you, Blue Note....I loved your truth being my truth.

Lizzytysh
rocksoff

Post by rocksoff »

Thank you Lizzytash for your interesting reply. I too agree with your pitch on the question of Lenny's true height. I agree that he would not qualify for his local Zen basketball team, but I beg to differ with you that he may be very short. Anyway, don't you think that his voice is really quite good still even if he is less than 5 foot tall? They say that size isn't everything, and in Lenny's case I thank the Lord that this is so.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

R,

I'm having difficulty in ferreting out your point....as well as in being certain whether I am the one you actually mean to be replying to....if I felt there were any productivity in continuing discussion of this, I would do so....however, the fog is thickening. Exiting the highway.....

Lizzytysh
Irene Teresa

Post by Irene Teresa »

Why would you think he was five foot tall ?

He indeed is of average height. Though I do agree a slight age shinkage may have happened...I am a bit slow..but dont get why it would matter....

.I also saw paul simon in conecrt who is indeed about 5 foot 2 ! but it really was not such a distraction! I must admit LC is a distraction for other reasons..he distracts me from himself by himself...so what to do...? :)

Irene
Irene Teresa

Post by Irene Teresa »

I met him and he seemed tall to me - but then anyone would ........ :lol:
rocksoff

Post by rocksoff »

I also saw Simon in concert a few years back, and although he may claim to be 5'2", the heels he was wearing were extremely high, I would estimate a good four inches. Also when I saw Lenny live in Switzerland many years ago, HE TOO WAS WEARING VERY HIGH HEELS, and even with them he looked only about 5'2".

These guts are plainly very sel-conscious about their height, but really it doesn't matter that much. AExcept on some songs, where they both appear to be presenting a "cool" woman's man look...(eg, 50 ways to leave your lover; and when lenny dances during "Dance me to the End of Love with one of his much taller than him singers) It looks so incongrous....like Peter Sellers in Pink Panther films. Ridiculous. Quite pathetic, really.
mike

Post by mike »

Rocksoff,

Never drive a joke into the ground.

Return to “Comments & Questions”