New song video:"Leaving the Table" at the Polaris Prize Gala

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
MarieM

Re: New song video:"Leaving the Table" at the Polaris Prize Gala

Post by MarieM »

Here's the direct link to the youtube of the music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOrdWbqp85E

At the Polaris Gala they talked about the making of the video. I believe they said SONY Music produced it. They had some kind of special animation group make it. I tried to look up more details but could find little. The only name I found associated with the video is Christopher Mills.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

To be honest, I didn’t like the video very much. It doesn’t suit the music and I am not seeing the artistic intention of the makers of this video. But that’s only my opinion ;-)
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

So where were the winners of the awards announced?
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

MarieM wrote:At the Polaris Gala they talked about the making of the video. I believe they said SONY Music produced it. They had some kind of special animation group make it. I tried to look up more details but could find little. The only name I found associated with the video is Christopher Mills.

Thanks for the info!

HugoD wrote:To be honest, I didn’t like the video very much. It doesn’t suit the music and I am not seeing the artistic intention of the makers of this video.

When I first watched it, I also thought that the images in the film did not correlate with the lyrics of the song. However, if one steps back a bit, one can perhaps see the film as a retrospective on Leonard's life, with various images of him throughout the years, while Leonard himself, in spirit, simply observes it all. In that respect, the idea of Leonard "Leaving the Table", and thus no longer being a part of the artistic world in which he once actively participated (he is now just an observer from on high) makes a bit more sense. But, of course, I could be wrong.
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

MaryB wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:28 am So where were the winners of the awards announced?
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... usic-prize
Billboard

Lido Pimienta's 'La Papessa' Wins Polaris Music Prize

9/18/2017 by Karen Bliss

Lido Pimienta's La Papessa was declared Canadian album of the year by the Polaris Music Prize grand jury tonight (Sept. 18) at the conclusion of the gala dinner at Toronto’s The Carlu. The award comes with a check for C$50,000 ($41,000) and was presented by last year's winner, Kaytranada.

As the 11-member grand jury -- selected from the larger jury pool of music media -- debated about and voted on the 10-title shortlist behind closed doors at the venue, those artists were honored onstage with a thoughtful essay about their work and a custom-designed poster. Some of the nominees also performed: Pimienta, Feist, Tanya Tagaq, Lisa LeBlanc, Leif Vollebekk and Weaves.

The audience of 900 was mostly comprised of industry, artists, sponsors and jurors with a small quantity of tickets sold to the public.

The other nine albums on the 2017 short list were A Tribe Called Red's We Are The Halluci Nation; BadBadNotGood’s IV; Leonard Cohen's You Want It Darker; Gord Downie’s Secret Path; Feist’s Pleasure; Lisa LeBlanc’s Why You Wanna Leave, Runaway Queen?; Tanya Tagaq’s Retribution; Leif Vollebekk’s Twin Solitude; and the eponymously-titled release by Weaves.

The albums are judged solely on artistic merit, without consideration of genre, sales or professional affiliation, according to the Polaris mandate. The eligibility period for the titles is June 1, 2016 to May 31, 2017.

The nominated albums had been selected by a two-part calculation process. This year’s 201-member jury -- made up of music journalists, broadcasters and music bloggers from across Canada -- selected 188 titles on the first online ballot, which asked for their top 5 picks ranked in order. The 40-title long list was then determined and the same jurors picked their top 5 from those 40 to determine the short-list.

Slaight Music again donated the prize money, C$50,000 for the winner and C$3,000 ($2,275) for each of nine short-listed acts.

Artists who have previous won the Polaris Music Prize are Kaytranada (2016), Buffy Sainte-Marie (2015), Tanya Tagaq (2014), Godspeed You! Black Emperor (2013), Feist (2012), Arcade Fire (2011), Karkwa (2010), Fucked Up (2009), Caribou (2008), Patrick Watson (2007), and Final Fantasy / Owen Pallett (2006).
Marie
Speaking Cohen
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Thank you Marie!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

https://etcanada.com/news/257423/the-ar ... athtaking/
The Artistic New Music Video For Leonard Cohen’s ‘Leaving The Table’ Is Breathtaking
By SHAKIEL MAHJOURI.

Canadian director Christopher Mills has a creative new take on the late legendary Leonard Cohen’s “Leaving the Table”.

The song’s brand new visuals create an intricate perception of Cohen’s lyrics through nearly 1,700 layers of aesthetics that follow his journey and legacy. Mills is known for his animation and used original hand-painted photos and backgrounds to piece together the abstract music video.

Mills has directed music videos for many others artists, including: Modest Mouse, Broken Social Scene, Metric, Breaking Benjamin and Dean Brody.

The new “Leaving the Table” visuals debuted Monday night in honour of Cohen’s 2017 Polaris Music Prize nomination. The Canadian icon’s song is off the critically-acclaimed, award-winning album “You Want it Darker”.

Cohen died on Nov. 7, 2016 at the age of 82 in Los Angeles. Cancer was a contributing cause.
Marie
Speaking Cohen

Return to “News”