Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
vlcoats

Re: Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

Post by vlcoats »

AlanM post wrote:Well, that was easy! :wink:
OK next topic ...
Oh Alan! Thank you again for giving me another great laugh first thing in the morning! The short answer was my backhanded attempt at teasing you for not saying why you feel the way you do about the 2 albums, but I guess I will try to elaborate on why I disagree with you after I am more awake and have at least fed my donkeys. You are too funny!
Jean Fournell wrote:... here my attempts at being a bit clearer:
Thank you Jean! You did a great job of making it more clear to me. Especially your explanation of Lover, Lover, Lover. It is easy enough to see that the singer's soul is complaining to G-d about his life (and maybe that is why Alan said it is a song of resentment or hate?). However, I never thought of looking at the refrain of Lover, lover, lover... as being G-d's answer to him. It makes sense.
He makes it very explicit: come back to me in no matter which state, just come back to me. He loves that soul exactly as it is (or has become) unconditionally.
Are you sure you're an atheist Jean? For someone who proclaims to be one, you have a lot of knowledge about G-d, or at least who we want G-d to be. Thank you also for clarifying that your link to the other post was a comparison of the reverse and the soul having unconditional love for G-d. I wonder if the opposing views are due to different religious sensibilities (like Christian vs Jewish vs Muslim), but then again, probably not, as any musing about G-d could likely go either way, regardless of your religion. I think Leonard was very good at that.

Jean, I expect it took a good amount of time to explain things in the way that you just did for me, but it was perfect, so I thank you for taking that time.
Now, I really must go out and feed those donkeys.

Thanks!
Vickie
Edited twice to fix typos... note to self, finish coffee and THEN write.
Jean Fournell

Post by Jean Fournell »

Vickie, it took me a long time because simple things are difficult, as I said before.

And I'm an atheist because I don't use God for my personal schemes and calculations and desires to get the world under my control. Also, I don't believe in Him...

The two views are not exactly opposing views; they start from different viewpoints. Al-Hallaj looks out from the human position, and Lover Lover Lover from both the human and the divine position, but essentially from the latter.
"Reverse" is simply reverse, two sides of the same coin. The one loves the other the other loves the one. In both cases unconditionally.

There is more to the affair, and here the two songs really differ:

And may the spirit of this song,
may it rise up pure and free.
May it be a shield for you,
a shield against the enemy.

This passage is inside the song, and yet it is commenting on the song, which means it is outside. Let's call it borderline.

And really outside the song, Leonard Cohen says thank you again, B4real:
B4real wrote: Lover Lover Lover

“I wrote this next song about a year ago today, in the Sinai desert. I made it for the soldiers that are on both sides.”
Now unless we think that he's cynically selling weapons to both sides, we should give a thought to the identity of "the enemy" the song is hoped to be "a shield against".
And here my take is, that the enemy is the predicament in which that wretched soul finds itself, the suffering in "the vale of tears", the state of being torn asunder from God, the wish to control what's beyond our reach...
A predicament against which no new incarnation, however perfect, would ever help. Which is the sum of all these things that make life miserable without any necessity except one: we are like that, all of us.

This does not only concern the soldiers on both sides in the Middle-east, this concerns every human soul.
The Priest of Israel is delivering here a Word that is very similar to that of Christian salvation for all humans, and apart from a few monotheist particularities equally similar to that of Buddhist salvation for all sentient beings.

That's why I say it's a very positive song.

... for a while
... for a little while...

(Just a filthy beggar blessing / What happens to the heart)
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Jean Fournell wrote: "Reverse" is simply reverse, two sides of the same coin. The one loves the other the other loves the one. In both cases unconditionally.
I think I should have chosen a better word than opposing. ;-) Thank you for clarifying things again.
This passage is inside the song, and yet it is commenting on the song, which means it is outside. Let's call it borderline...... The Priest of Israel is delivering here a Word that is very similar to that of Christian salvation for all humans, and apart from a few monotheist particularities equally similar to that of Buddhist salvation for all sentient beings. That's why I say it's a very positive song.
I like how you explain Leonard's comment that he made regarding his writing the song in the Sinai desert. You are very thoughtful person Jean.
AlanM post wrote:OK - Recent Songs and Various Positions are one extended album!
Okay, I will give it a go. Here is my attempt to elaborate on my comment that no, Recent Songs and Various Positions are not one extended album.

Let’s ignore for a moment the fact that they were written several years apart and talk about what came in between. During the years between, Leonard wrote the book, Book of Mercy which I have not read (but plan to), and from everything I have read about that book, although not exactly a transformation for Leonard, it certainly was a more direct approach to religion that must have entailed a certain magnitude of soul searching, meditation and looking both inward, outward, and upward. I don’t see why he would have put that in the middle of “one extended album”, do you? I mean, yes, he was as capable as anyone of multitasking, but I am not sure that he preferred a lot of loose ends about. He seems more ordered than that.

Beyond that timeline, there is the matter of the music on the albums. He thanked his mother in the album credits for Recent Songs for reminding him of the kind of music she liked. After he wrote DOALM, she asked him why he didn’t make songs like the ones they used to sing together around the house, the old Russian and Jewish songs. To me, the music on Recent Songs captured that flavor he was looking for while at the same time having some things in common with his first studio albums. Various Positions, on the other hand, was the first album of his (beyond the obvious DOALM) that made me go, “Wait…. this is Leonard Cohen?” Not only was his voice deeper but the music was so…..different. It was more Easy Listening or synthetic and not so real to me. I am sorry I can’t think of the words for what I mean by that, maybe the word alienation comes close to how I felt when I heard Various Positions for the first time. It was the turning of a page for me that I wasn’t sure whether I liked at all. I struggled with that in his music from time to time all the way through his later albums, up to and including Dear Heather. The final 3 albums were a return to what was more real to me. It is this thing about the music that I am having a hard time verbalizing that makes me say no, Recent Songs and Various Positions are not one extended album. As an aside, I think I am having so much trouble verbalizing the differences in the music because music is emotional or even spiritual (in a nonreligious way) and not so much intellectual for me.

I suspect that there is a further argument to make regarding that the lyrics of the two albums are different in tone and content, but there are so many layers to Mr. Cohen’s lyrics that sustaining that argument with any authority at all would be very difficult for me. Maybe someone here who has more history with understanding his lyrics would be willing to attempt that?

So, Alan, now will you tell me why you think they are one extended album? :?

Vickie
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Hi Vickie,
I'm glad you spotted my sense of humour, as did I yours. It was my attempt to keep it light and balance some of the intensity of our discussion. I think we should have both lightness and depth, and anyhow these posts are personal opinions. I have not thought in so much depth about Leonard's lyrics as I have done since I joined this thread.
Consider a situation where I would have to answer instantaneously to the question "which album is that song from?"
Many times I would be wrong, but I would generally be able to say it is either of these 2 or 3.
In my own mind the albums are grouped in 2s or 3s.
1 Songs of LC, Songs From A Room
2 Songs Of Love And Hate, New Skin For The Old Ceremony (this is just a recent decision)
3 Death Of A Ladies Man (on its own)
4 Recent Songs, Various Positions
5 I'm Your Man, The Future
6 10 New Songs, Dear Heather
7 Old Ideas, Popular Problems, You Want It Darker.
As I have commented previously in this thread, I have been listening to the last 3 CDs as a group for a while, and I probably feel the greatest similarities between them of all the above personal groupings.
Yes, I know all the albums are different on many levels, but that's how they are sorted in my head.
If you threw a song title at me and I had to respond without thinking, I would have trouble picking between Recent Songs and Various Positions.

I get the feeling that my proposal that New Skin For The Old Ceremony was Songs Of Love And Hate part 2 was decided in the negative.
I have no problems with that.
The whole idea of this Forum and this thread in particular is discussion and an exchange of ideas, not necessarily to persuade everyone to a single point of view.

Maybe we should return to discussing single songs??

No donkeys to feed, but I have to go. If I think of anything else, I'll post it later.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

AlanM post wrote:I think we should have both lightness and depth, and anyhow these posts are personal opinions...
Thank you Alan! Very true.
It was interesting to read your list of albums and how you grouped them together. It illustrates how subjective this all is (and should be). I agree with most of your grouping but not all. I think I would have more of the albums stand on their own. Although, I also might have trouble naming which album some of the songs came from, but I think that is more because I listened to them all so close together.
I get the feeling that my proposal that New Skin For The Old Ceremony was Songs Of Love And Hate part 2 was decided in the negative........The whole idea of this Forum and this thread in particular is discussion and an exchange of ideas, not necessarily to persuade everyone to a single point of view.
Yes! What would be the sense of discussing things if we all agreed on everything? I love hearing how we disagree as much as how we agree. I think it is brave of people to put an opinion or an idea out there at all. It is like being the first one in the class to raise their hand. Or the child in the story, "The Emperor's New Clothes".
Maybe we should return to discussing single songs??
Maybe we should wait, because someone might be in the middle of a response to your topic idea right now.
When we are ready though, I would vote for anything from the last 3 albums. I am very curious about those albums and that time in Leonard's life and would love to hear any of your thoughts regarding them.
Thanks again!
Vickie
B4real

Post by B4real »

This is a suggestion based on that of 4’s at the very beginning of this LC album journey and one Vickie rigidly stuck to .... and I don’t know how she had the discipline to do it! We started chronologically first with the studio albums and then the live albums. We still have three live (including an historic short EP) and two songs from one studio album not yet discussed. I’m thinking before we diverse too much it would be a good idea to finish what we started first so I hope no one minds if I do that :)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37392&start=255#p366016
the last of the live and studio albums

More Best Of Leonard Cohen 1997
(only the two songs not previously published)
12. Never Any Good 5:04
13. The Great Event 1:09

Never Any Good
Here’s a video of Leonard singing this song playing in his car. He wrote it and he’s singing along with Billy Valentine who has covered it. It always reminds me of the same situation when I sing his songs in my car! Ha! Seems we all do it ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS9RsNuNljE it’s taken from a documentary Mt Baldy Spring 96.

And four years earlier in Songwriters on Songwriting some more words of wisdom about this song from Leo –

Paul Zollo: It’s one of the great things about your work, your rich use of details. So many songs we hear are empty, and have no details at all.

LC: I love to hear the details. I was just working on a line this morning for a song called "I Was Never Any Good at Loving You." And the line was -- I don’t think I’ve nailed it yet -- "I was running from the law, I thought you knew, forgiveness was the way it felt with you" or "forgiven was the way I felt with you." Then I got a metaphysical line, about the old law and the new law, the Old Testament and the New Testament: "I was running from the law, the old and the new, forgiven was the way I felt with you." No, I thought, it’s too intellectual. Then I thought I got it: "I was running from the cops and the robbers too, forgiven was the way I felt with you." You got cops and robbers, it dignifies the line by making it available, making it commonplace.

Paul Zollo: Each of those three versions work well. And so many of your lines, though I understand how hard you work on them and revise them, have the feeling of being inevitable. They don’t feel forced; they just feel like the perfect line.

LC: I appreciate that. Somebody said that art is the concealment of art.

The Great Event - just for fun and it being the omega ‘song’ on this album, this is an alpha atmospheric visual of its last sentence that I created some years ago – some of you may remember it and my other designs for the rest of the words below :)

pg169aasthesenilerobinsbecomebrightredagainandtheretirednightingalespickuptheirdustytails,andassertthemajestyofcreation-TheGreatEvent.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt015aijOFc

The Great Event
It's going to happen very soon. The great
event which will end the horror. Which will
end the sorrow. Next Tuesday, when the sun
goes down, I will play the Moonlight Sonata
backwards. This will reverse the effects of
the world's mad plunge into suffering, for
the last 200 million years. What a lovely
night that would be. What a sigh of relief, as
the senile robins become bright red again,
and the retired nightingales, pick up their
dusty tails, and assert the majesty of creation!

Written by Leonard Cohen
Vocals by Leonard Cohen and Victoria

Some of you may be wondering who Victoria is :) At the time Leonard was a little obsessed and fascinated with her but she officially belonged to someone else by the name of Mac ;-) All he could ever hope to possess of her was her voice over which he had total control. But she was also available to everyone else who had the desire to utilize her talent! Then along came Vickie and later on Alex .... and Mac continues to make them available to those seeking their services....for a price.... hehehe!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Good morning B4!!
I haven't had time to do more than just skim over your post, but I wanted to say that I like your idea of finishing the live albums, etc. I have been wanting to make a couple comments on what I am listening to- for example, I can't stop listening to Field Commander Cohen (!), but I haven't wanted to interrupt our thread of thought.
I will have a closer look at your post and read it properly after work today.
Thank you for your thoughtful idea!
Vickie
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Had a nice little post almost completed yesterday when a crash of thunder from an approaching storm knocked out my internet and erased it. I will try again.

Out of curiosity I was looking at websites of some of Leonard's band to see if they have upcoming appearances in early November that would rule out their participation in the Montreal event. I found only one conflict, Perla Batalla, who will be in Spain at that time. Visiting Perla's website also uncovered something interesting. She has been performing at small venues (and I even private parties) under the banner "House of Cohen." In these performances she can be accompanied by musicians, with the amount of accompaniment based on what the party wants to pay. In the website she says that she likes to perform some of Leonard's lesser-known songs at these events. Here is an interesting video from a "House of Cohen" performance (from earlier this year I believe):

https://youtu.be/uy1vaWwhzMY

Note that this rendition of Hallelujah has TWO violinists, Bobby Furgo being one of them.

Advice to Vickie: Probably best to hold off until after the Montreal event before trying to convince Dave to hire "House of Cohen" to perform for you and the donkeys.

B4s suggestion to go through some of the live albums is a good one, although I only have Isle of Wight, Live in London, and Songs for the Road (and maybe Live in Dublin, I can't recall).

Champing at the Bit: Jarkko's latest announcement indicates limited activities on November 5, concert on November 6, and advance viewing of museum exhibit on November 7, with the possibility of additional activities.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

B4real post wrote:This is a suggestion based on that of 4’s at the very beginning of this LC album journey and one Vickie rigidly stuck to .... and I don’t know how she had the discipline to do it! We started chronologically first with the studio albums and then the live albums. We still have three live (including an historic short EP) and two songs from one studio album not yet discussed. I’m thinking before we diverse too much it would be a good idea to finish what we started first so I hope no one minds if I do that :)
Thank you again B4 for returning us to this approach. I am not sure if it is discipline or a simple appreciation of order. Although I have been accused of OCD by friends and family members, I doubt if they would continue to accuse me of OCD if they could see the inside of some of my closets and drawers :shock:. I get distracted like everyone else, but I do like things simple around me. I wonder if that is an aspect of the Cohen gene as well? I have read that his walls and rooms were mostly bare, and although my own are far from that, I don't like clutter at all. Dave is always accusing me of 'purging' our storage areas.

Back to the live albums list..

I have listened to, and we have (somewhat) discussed the following 3 CDs:
Live Songs- 1973
Cohen Live: Leonard Cohen in Concert, 1994
and, Field Commander Cohen, Tour of 1979

I have also listened to (watched) the following 3 Live CDs that are also DVDs, albeit (hard to believe I know!) out of order:
Live in London
Isle of Wight 1970 (which I listened to a WAY long time ago, when I couldn't resist 4's suggestion to do so)
and, Songs From the Road

I have yet to listen to:
Live From Dublin-- which I have unopened in front if me as I type
and, Can't Forget,A Souvenir of the Grand Tour (which I have yet to purchase)

I have not listened to (or yet purchased) any of the compilation albums (Best of... Complete... Essential... etc)
So, I haven't gotten to the 2 songs that you have mentioned here.
More Best Of Leonard Cohen 1997
(only the two songs not previously published)
12. Never Any Good 5:04
13. The Great Event 1:09
Having said that, I loved so much the video from the Mt Baldy documentary and totally get what you are saying about singing songs in your car....... I am sure that everyone in our construction lineup is about sick to death of the Field Commander Cohen Live CD, lol!!
What I especially loved about your post was the quote from Leonard about how he was trying to nail the lyrics for that song "I Was Never Any Good at Loving You" and how he wanted to have something about the law of the New and the Old Testament but was thinking instead to say "cops and robbers" to make it more available.
It reminded me of something that Jean said. I almost gave up on finding it (it is nearly my bedtime) but I finally found it.
Jean Fournell post wrote:Leonard Cohen was not some pop-singer. He was a priest, and he took that responsibility seriously. I willingly admit that he hides his stuff under layers of appearances, and that it requires an effort to dig it out. However, he has a good reason to do so. Earlier on this thread, I called it "sowing karma seeds". Not all of those seeds will germinate, and some might take a long time, and "There is no need / That this survive / There's truth that lives / And truth that dies".
So thank both you (B4) and you (Jean) for that.
Another thing about your post that I loved, B4, is
LC: I appreciate that. Somebody said that art is the concealment of art.
And of course your beautiful visual art with the birds and what looked like to me Arizona in the background. Thank you for sharing your talent!

So getting back to the live CDs.... I think we missed discussing Live in Dublin, because I know I have not heard it yet. Could we possibly go there next after I have a chance to listen to it?

And 4---
its4 wrote:I found only one conflict, Perla Batalla, who will be in Spain at that time.
I was sorry to hear this because the links that Alan shared of her singing really impressed me. I think I like her voice nearly as much or maybe more (I can't be sure until I hear it more) than Jennifer's, but she is hard to beat.
Advice to Vickie: Probably best to hold off until after the Montreal event before trying to convince Dave to hire "House of Cohen" to perform for you and the donkeys.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Champing at the Bit: Jarkko's latest announcement indicates limited activities on November 5, concert on November 6, and advance viewing of museum exhibit on November 7, with the possibility of additional activities.
So very excited for this!
Thank you again everyone.
I was reflecting today as I listened to Leonard on the way home... how happy I am that I have come to him finally.... and yes, better late than never.
Vickie
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Hello again,

I have started listening to Live In Dublin and will wait until I have heard all 3 disc before I comment on it. My time is limited at the beginning of any school year, but to complicate matters, the pump on our well, which has been limping for a while, has just died today! Dave had to take time off from his real job and is helping the pump guys pull up the old one and install a new one as I write :shock:. (We named our place "Bent Fin", but Dave has nicknamed it "Camp Work-Your-Ass-Off", partly for the donkeys but mostly for the truth).

I do want to make one comment about Live in Dublin now though, and I have said it before. It is painful for me to listen to (or watch) Leonard's live performances and to hear all of the applause and his words to the audience, because it reminds me in a very clear way what I missed out on. I am selfish to feel that way and even more selfish to draw attention to it. I shouldn't be going to Montreal for selfish reasons-- in hopes of making that feeling of missing out go away. I should be going there just simply to honor Mr. Cohen, and that is what I will try to do.

On a lighter note... and speaking of Montreal, 4 has sent me another talented cartoon to post! When I showed this one to Dave, he laughed, because we often joke about who is in charge around here. He had basically answered, "Uh... okay." when I brought up Montreal. He has witnessed how this all has changed my life and, knowing me well, acquiesced. Thank you again 4, for capturing the reality of Leonard Cohen's impact around this place.
Curts cartoon 2 (600x466).jpg
Thanks!
Vickie
B4real

Post by B4real »

:lol: Oh, well done 4! Very entertaining! And you're obviously having fun with it! I hope I have had something subliminal to do with unleashing this creative streak but I can't take any credit for your wonderful dry sense of humour ;-)
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Thank you B4, I do enjoy making people laugh. And yes, it was your encouragement that goaded me into drawing the cartoons. I have to say that, now after trying myself, I am amazed at how difficult it is to draw a simple cartoon. While not apparent in my childish attempts, there are many aspects that must be considered and planned such as staging, proportion, level of detail, and dialogue that conveys what is intended in a few words as possible. My biggest problem is that I draw poorly, and cannot draw humans at all, so I also have to devise ways to not have to do so. I salute the many REAL cartoonists, especially the great Carl Barks who authored and drew many Disney comics from the mid-1940s until the mid-1960s.

That visual you posted recently depicting the Great Event, there was something about it that seemed eerily familiar. Then it hit me, it has striking resemblances to the iconic 1995 photograph taken by the Hubble Space Telescope of an area of the Orion Nebula called "the Pillars of Creation." This is a place where new stars are being born, ie, where "the majesty of creation" is in progress. Unfortunately I cannot, after numerous tries, copy that photo here, you will have to google "pillars of creation" to see it. I am curious, had you seen this photo before, and did it influence your visual?

Re Champing at the Bit: Am excited at the prospect of seeing other fans again after a three year hiatus, at the prospect of, for just a few days, leaving the troubled real world to be with others similarly afflicted. Bev, Alan, Jean--any thoughts of attending?

Sorry for not staying on-topic, I will endeavor to watch "Live in Dublin" this weekend. Comments on this topic should be interesting.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

its4inethemorning post wrote:I will endeavor to watch "Live in Dublin" this weekend. Comments on this topic should be interesting.
Akk! I didn't realize it also came in a DVD because I didn't see it on Amazon. But even on eBay I can only find it in the UK import version, and I heard that will not play in all Blu-ray DVD players. Does anyone know if that is true? I just listened to Tower of Song on the audio CD and I would love love love to have a visual. Maybe I will YouTube it if I can.
Jean Fournell

Post by Jean Fournell »

Yes, Vickie, apparently there is such a risk indeed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code
I don't understand all of these technicalities, but it seems to be quite a nuisance at least for honest DVD buyers.

Its4inthemorning, we'll quite simply remember the fact that you don't know Vickie and Dave personally, and that therefore it's impossible for you to draw them (for now)...
But the leaves of grass are fine little details, again!

This is copied from Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillars_of_Creation
Camel.jpg
B4real, your combination is fascinating the left pillar, in my imagination, becoming very much of a "camel's head" with your birds and calligraphied branches! Lovely and transparent.

... for a while
... for a little while...

(Just a filthy beggar blessing / What happens to the heart)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hehe! As I said above "just for fun", unbeknown to you all I actually set two puzzles relating to The Great Event for you to solve and so far you have completed the first successfully! Well observed! I was nearly going to say something when Vickie commented on the first one but I thought I'd wait until someone twigged to the second one, Victoria ;-)

1. I was hoping you and others would notice that 4! Your words are absolutely spot-on for the very reason I utilized it as a background for my design. I added the robin and made it’s breast translucently bright red and added the nightingale with its picked up tail, adding the dust falling from it. The background where it all began shows the last words of the verse exactly how I wanted to say, “assert the majesty of creation”. I gave an explanation at the time when I first designed it. One person said, "the unified picture is very surrealistic!" Thank you Jean for posting the image which has usage rights for modification. And I always think the same as you - in my mind also it does look like a camel's head!

2. The other puzzle was on the female voice of The Great Event. So far no one has commented on Victoria ...or Vickie....or Alex... Maybe you know or maybe you don’t. See if you can find this one too ;-)

Btw – 4, this is how to post a picture here.
If you want to use a picture already on your hard drive –
Click ‘post reply’. Below the space for your message, there is a tab on the bottom left hand side that says ‘attachments’. Click on it, and then click on ‘add files’ and your computer will be connected. Find your image in it and click on it and click ‘open’ on your computer. The photo file will be shown as being added to your post. (You may also attach files by dragging and dropping them in the message box). If you want the photo in a particular place in your post just click where you want it to be shown then click ‘place inline’. Click ‘preview’ if you want to see your image before you click ‘submit’.

If you are posting directly from the web -
Click Post Reply. Click "img" above where you type your message - it will look like this [img][img], right click and paste the copied image address of the picture in between the two "img"s. Click ‘preview’ if you want to see your image before you click ‘submit’.

NB: You can't post an image over 256KB if you are posting from your computer's hard drive - you will have to re-size it to under 256KB, then you can. It doesn’t matter what size it is if you post direct from the web because it’s just a link.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”