Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
richardrj

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Post by richardrj »

Last night I watched the Bird on a Wire documentary for the first time ever, and fell in love with Leonard's music all over again. This morning I woke up to the news of his passing. I am devastated. Here are some words I wrote a few years ago on how much Leonard meant to me:

https://viennesewaltz.net/2008/07/14/cohen/
garymorrison1

Post by garymorrison1 »

The end of an era.
Eternally grateful for the memories, writing, performances & music.
Thanks for 45 years
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

Polish TV just announced the sad news only today...

...from each other I do not have any words at this time, except for:

Dear Mr.Cohen thank you with all my heart for everything.
Be happy, wherever you are...

Love,
Beata
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
PeGu

Post by PeGu »

When I listened to Leonard's latest album (how hard to actually write "last"), I couldn't and did not want to fight some tears. It was sadness because a dear one said farewell, and it was gratitude because that dear one had been in my life.
When I heard the news on the radio today, there were the same tears, just more of them, and they'll last longer.

All my deepest sympathies to Leonard's familiy and his friends. You've had a marvellous human being amongst you.

Now, he isn't singing about King David anymore, he is singing with him (and probably discussing the one or the other issue with G-D...).
Lörrach 2008, Wiesbaden Wiesbaden 2010, Mannheim 2013
Gitte

Post by Gitte »

If no leaves were on the tree
And no water in the sea
And the break of day
Had nothing to reveal
That's how broken I would be
What my life would seem to me
If I didn't have your WORDS/SONGS
To make it real

It's a sad day and wright now I'm in a chock. So I can't imagine how hard it must be for his family and close friends. I feel so sorry for them and also for all you guys here at the site.
I'm deeply gratfull that I have been living in the same time as Leonard, to have been able to see him in so many many concerts.
2008: Nice/ 2010: Marseille / 2012 Copenhagen, Paris x 2. / 2013: Paris, Lucca, Odense, Stockholm, Rotterdam, Amsterdam.
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Sad,sad day lost for words ! Goodbye Leonard you have been a friend and an inspiration !
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Gregori1970

Post by Gregori1970 »

I'm so grateful I saw him 3 times in the last 10 years. He was unique. I knew this would come but its still hard to take in that he's gone but we have his words and music forever.
I lived on Hydra near him in 1970 - it was an inspirational place. I just heard they are renaming the road he lived on there - its now Leonard Cohen street. He would be so happy for that I'm sure. Goodbye Leonard and thank you so, so much for your words.
teresaq

Post by teresaq »

He stands before the Lord of Song. With nothing on his tongue but Hallelujah.
teresaq

Post by teresaq »

I recently wrote a review of 'You want it darker'. The review ended on an optimistic note which sadly has not worked out. http://studentat60.blogspot.co.uk/
ScottM

Post by ScottM »

I heard the news a few of hours ago. I have no real words to express how I feel. I guess what we all feel. I was lucky enough, along with a few others, to briefly meet Leonard in Amsterdam a few years's ago. Despite being on a tight schedule, as he and the band were heading off to a pre-concert sound-check, he took time to engage with a few of us. I'd always been apprehensive about meeting my hero, but he put us all at ease. He was gracious and patient allowing a few photographs and exchanging a few kind and humorous words. However, when he decided to go, his parting words, as he left, were, "Sorry guys but we have to go to work!" I remember feeling a little guilty at holding him up but very impressed that, despite having delivered hundreds of outstanding, brilliant performances in recent years, this great man still believed in the importance of the rehearsal. He had in mind that the priority was to ensure that, for the audience, he and the band must be as well prepared as possible for that evening's performance. A true professional!
I can only share this memory. If I possessed a fraction of Leonard's poetic brilliance and articulation then I might be able to attempt a worthwhile tribute. Suffice to say, and I know that this is a very uninspired cliche which does him insufficient justice, but it is no less true; We will always have his music and his words.

"I'm leaving the table, I'm out of the game..."
Last edited by ScottM on Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam
WiTS

Post by WiTS »

I have to stop updating my site... can't type anything... dizzy and don't know where to go... feeling like the whole world is drifting away..
············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
davidrichards

Post by davidrichards »

Martin n brown wrote:I wrote a poem Leonard,
It’s the best that I can do
To try to tell the world the way I feel
‘Bout losing you.

Your poetry of sadness..................

(Optional final verse)
Your timing it was perfect
When your heart it ceased to pump
At least you will not have to bear
Four years of fucking Trump.

Most inappropriate at this sad time.
maura

Post by maura »

What joy her brought to us during his live performances in Ireland over the last eight years. His destiny has been fulfilled, great talent, beautiful singing voice, speaking to us all individually through his poetic words not to forget the sparking wit that he exuded always.

As we say in Irish Ar Dheis De Go Raibh a hAnam
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

So sad to hear the news this morning. I shed some tears.

Thank you Leonard for your music, which I first discovered in the early 70s when I went on a school exchange trip to France. My first album was 'Songs From A Room'. I never got a chance to see him in the early days and I thought I never would. I was delighted when he went back out on the road a few years ago.

God bless you Leonard....I will play your music today and remember you with great affection.
Diane

Post by Diane »

Of course, words are inadequate, but Leonard Cohen - poetic genius, balladeer to our souls, ladies' man, gentleman, and gentle man - thank You! You know that our love goes with you...

May everyone live,
And may everyone die,
Hello, my love,
And my love, Goodbye.

Return to “News”