New Album announced: 'You Want It Darker'

Leonard Cohen's last studio album (2016)
cohenadmirer

Re: New Album announced: 'You Want It Darker'

Post by cohenadmirer »

gallina wrote:"We know back problems in 2012 led to a big delay in the 2012 tour starting " - it was 2010.
Yes it was in 2010- apologies for the mistake.
I didn't know about the problems in 2013 described by Wendy .
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
gallina

Post by gallina »

Yes, the tour would start in March, and finally started in July (Zagreb) in 2010.
2009 Budapest
2010 Zagreb, Gothenburg, Florence, St. Margarethen, Bratislava, Las Vegas x2

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2012 Ghent x5, Helsinki, Dublin x2, Verona
2013 Roma, Lucca, Vienna, London
2015 Viladrau
hadley

Post by hadley »

As something of a 'lurker' here I just wanted to post thanks to all those that provided updates for the album that has had me salivating like an overexcited canine ever since I heard about it. Muchas gracias amigos :D
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

jarkko wrote:I’d really rather not focus on the length of the album; it's the quality and not the quantity that counts!
Well said (and I'm placing this quote here as a kind reminder), but that's my report for a curious reader (all according to Amazon):

You Want It Darker 4:44
Treaty 4:02
On the Level 3:27
Leaving the Table 3:47
If I Didn't Have Your Love 3:36
Traveling Light 4:22
It Seemed the Better Way 4:22
Steer Your Way 4:23
String Reprise / Treaty 3:26

Total Length: 36:09
Clementine

Post by Clementine »

cohenadmirer wrote:
Vicomte wrote:
cillanridire wrote:Welcome news and a Happy Birthday to Leonard. Hopefully there'll be another tour.
I realise this is your first post but did you read the piece properly? There can't be another tour, LC at 82 with ailments that 82 year olds (and younger) get could not in any way sustain good health long enough for a tour to happen.

I remember some people said how good he looked at the end of the last tour, I did not agree, he looked quite drawn and just because on occasion he would "skip" off stage never meant he was fit for another tour, I suggest that if you haven't bought any of the live DVD's, then that is your best bet now to see LC in concert.
The new health report of a chronic and debilitating, but thankfully not life threatening , condition do indeed put an end to hopes of new concerts , but certainly not an end to hopes of great new works for some time to come .
In 2013 from what I could see he had amazing physical stamina. and absolutely no sign of major musculo- skeletal problems , given all the standing , kneeling , dancing and skipping right up to the final concert . We know back problems in 2012 led to a big delay in the 2012 tour starting , but that seemed an acute problem from which he apparently recovered followed by 16 months of touring with few breaks.I assume the more chronic problems have developed since then.

I know live versions of songs from PP and you want it darker would have been fantastic ,as were the live versions of old ideas songs, but sadly we will never hear them as variants from the fantastic recordings.

So - final moments on stage :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rWYptAze50
I was just metres from Leonard, in the front row in Auckland, 21 December 2013, and as he finally skipped off stage I just knew in my heart that this was truly the last time.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Clementine wrote: I was just metres from Leonard, in the front row in Auckland, 21 December 2013, and as he finally skipped off stage I just knew in my heart that this was truly the last time.
That's exactly how I felt Clementine. (I must have been sat very close to you in the centre front.)

Wendy
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Funny voices from the other side of intimacy. One's post in a facebook group dedicated to LC:
I'm afraid I'll have to join the boycott of L. Cohen's new album because some 'clever' people told him to appear with a cigarette on the front cover. There's no place for people (even a such a great Artist!) promoting this dirty business. BOYCOTT.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Goldin wrote:Funny voices from the other side of intimacy. One's post in a facebook group dedicated to LC:
I'm afraid I'll have to join the boycott of L. Cohen's new album because some 'clever' people told him to appear with a cigarette on the front cover. There's no place for people (even a such a great Artist!) promoting this dirty business. BOYCOTT.
I caught sight of this on my FB newsfeed and I was really quite shocked at some of the childish, vicious and unpleasant replies the guy received. He's entitled to his view and he does have a point in these days where cigarettes are sold (in the UK at least) without any advertising or promotion from behind locked cupboards in plain packets bearing ginormous health warnings.

Will I boycott the CD? Not a chance! But then I was never influenced by cigarette advertising either.

Wendy
Herbsttag

Post by Herbsttag »

I don't think anyone will be influenced by this album cover. I find this "boycotting" utterly childish.
Alexandra
rmorgan

Post by rmorgan »

The cigarette might be ironic. Like the banana on "I'm Your Man".

It's not as if Leonard is actually smoking it.

But if you can't smoke at 82, when the heck can you ....? :)
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

rmorgan wrote:The cigarette might be ironic. Like the banana on "I'm Your Man".
Nice point.

I tend to think that "some 'clever' people [who] told him to appear with a cigarette" are actually the same manipulator who makes him do other strange things, such as writing spiritual and philosophic songs about oral sex, running for the fucking money and the flesh, singing about all that loudly, etc. Such a disgusting shameless puppeteer in a fedora.
gretabertella

Post by gretabertella »

Goldin wrote:Funny voices from the other side of intimacy. One's post in a facebook group dedicated to LC:

Gee, people are crazy!
In any case, in the Maclean's article Adam said: "There were hilarious, esoteric arguments fuelled by medical marijuana."
So, it's not a cigarette. It's medical marijuana, dudes.
Or, well, whatever, I don't care. You want it darker is a great, great, great song. And the new Cohen's album is gonna be great as well, I think.
Who boycotts it, boycotts himself.
lightning

Post by lightning »

Maybe he wants his lungs darker. He's always cultivated a slightly louche image.
hadley

Post by hadley »

gretabertella wrote: Who boycotts it, boycotts himself.
Nice quote :lol:
hadley

Post by hadley »

I noticed a 5 star review in this months Mojo for anyone interested who's in the UK, didn't contain a huge amount of new information but was very positive about the album

Return to “You Want It Darker”