Results of our 20th Anniversary Logo Competition

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
DBCohen

Re: Results of our 20th Anniversary Logo Competition

Post by DBCohen »

Congratulations! Jarkko, you have changed and enhanced our world in such a positive way that we cannot be grateful enough.

Love,

Doron
B4real

Post by B4real »

I want to publicly thank Jarkko and Leonard for this opportunity. There are such interesting and varied (as we all are as people) designs and I’m glad I wasn’t the one choosing any winners! I’m just simply grateful that one of my designs was among them! Thanks everyone for your kind words and really well done to all the entrants!

I also want to say congratulations to Jarkko for all his time and effort that he has put into this site and the Files which has been online since 1995. I know it has changed my life in so many ways for the better!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Diane

Post by Diane »

Congratulations, Bev! I like how you have depicted with Leonard's hands, hands that crafted the words we love so well, the intensity of his work, and of his performances. I also like your finishing touch of the 'sheen' on your metal plaque logo echoing the on-stage spotlight.

Congratulations too, to the other winners! (Although I suspect Ken's close and influential friendship with Henning had something to do with his wild west 'wanted poster' logo getting a prize..!)

That was fun, Jarkko:-) Here's to the next 20 years...
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

diane...that 'close and influential friendship' you mention did me no favours when it came to this competition..

..a whistleblower within the forum inner circle told me that not only did the prudish henning immediately veto my original entry (see below) on first sight but he also called for me to be barred from the forum..again....

..i ask you who wouldn't want to see this on a t-shirt?...not henning anyway....

ta ken
blow.jpg
blow.jpg (140.49 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

:oops: - Saw that before it was 'censored' . It's no longer clear why the figure is kneeling .
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the way Leonard kneeled before Javier mas during the concerts
Last edited by cohenadmirer on Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
mutti

Post by mutti »

Congratulations to all the winners and contributors! Such creative and unique designs.
What a difficult decision…my favorites are Marie, Ania, Geoffrey and Kadir's.
Thank you too Jarkko & Rauli for the redesign. I love the new colour and Leonard's signature on top.
Leslie 8)
Last edited by mutti on Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

jeremek wrote:some pictures "of the action plan"
1 thinking has a future.jpg
2 this is one of the effects.jpg
3 people.jpg
This is very interesting. During my college years, I took a philosophy course on Aesthetics. Some of the things we discussed were issues such as "what if Picasso had drawn one of his masterpieces on the sand on the beach and it was wiped out by a wave." Would that still constitute a masterpiece since it was so temporary?

This made me think of that. One of the other difficult questions was about Rembrandt's "Nightwatch"-if someone walked up to it and licked it and said, "Oow, it doesn't taste very good"-how would that impact the perception of the work?

Congratulations again to all the winners and also the wonderful submissions by everyone. And especially congratulations to Jarkko for the wonderful site that has changed Anne & my life in such a postive way. I think that I can confidently state the Files has only done good for this world. It has helped Leonard and it has helped us. There are probably only a few things in life that we can say that about. So thank you, Jarkko, Eija & Rauli for your foresight, good taste and your warm and welcoming personalities.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

henning.....as you were so vehemently against my previous logo if i had leonard and janis just shaking hands on the unmade bed instead of "cough cough" would you have vetoed another of my alternative entries.....ta ken
s1.jpg
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Congratulations to all the participants. Great job done by all. My favorites are Bev. (who is a wonderful artist), ania, and Geoffrey. However, if I was going to chose one for a logo on a mug or t-shirt, I would have to chose Geoffrey.
His logo represents the current 'Leonard' for me.
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Cheshire gal wrote:Congratulations to all the participants. Great job done by all. My favorites are Bev. (who is a wonderful artist), ania, and Geoffrey. However, if I was going to chose one for a logo on a mug or t-shirt, I would have to chose Geoffrey.
His logo represents the current 'Leonard' for me.
i love you, cheshire girl (((((((((((( hug & kiss )))))))))))))
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

You are welcome Geoffrey :D 8)
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Henning

Post by Henning »

Good choice, Jarkko. My votes had been Kadir, Marie and Geoffrey. Ken, you weren't even on the bench but with the Janis and Len dance one, you might have had a chance, especially with the H in it. But then it looked a bit like forbidden to enter. Is that what you wanted ?
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

henning ...we start the weekend in complete agreement..putting my excellent attempts aside i too agree that kadir's logo is the overall winner....a well designed punchy minimal modern logo...let's hope our bromance lasts the weekend....ta ken
199Dan

Post by 199Dan »

May I offer a big "thank you to all who entered the logo competition !
One more reason to visit this site.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for everything you've done and continue to do for Leonard and for all of us, Jarkko, Eija, and Rauli!

This logo competition was a brilliant idea! An unbelievable array of excellent designs! Such difficult choices for you, Jarkko, to have to make. After my top choice, the rest became MUCH more difficult! Finally, I have a reasonable amount of time to make my own comments on that choice. Some of it may be redundant because I have made so many notes and am now trying to condense.

So, my left arm became sore as I scrolled, concealing the names of the creators, my arm placed accordingly; I kept my eyes trained on the next logo coming, so as not to see the previous names, after they'd passed [being as human as anyone else, and not wanting to be swayed according to who had done what]. After the initial scroll, I looked away and tried to remember which ones stood out in my memory... and why. Then, looked at each and tried to 'assess' [by who-knows-what-criteria ;) or overall-message-intended-to-be-conveyed that Jarkko might use in making his choices :? ]. Then, I abandoned that approach and just went with my own. I returned to each of them individually, and tried the best I could to assess the elements of each, according to what my own thoughts on them were. I finally had to look at the names. By the time I did, however, I'd already decided whose logo was my own preference for number one. It was Ania's. That may seem a bit awkward since I so strongly encouraged her to grapple with her brain freeze, and get busy with this, but I came to her logo honestly as my top choice. I loved it before I realized it was hers.

From the way I read Jarkko's listing of the entries, there were three overall categories. Each of Jarkko's selections were in one of the three categories, i.e. Gold/Silver/Special and not ranked within each, but simply shown in alphabetical order. Heartfelt and sincere CONGRATULATIONS to all of you for your work well done!!! CONGRATULATIONS, Ania, for making it into the top three!!!

Overview

First are my overview reasons. Then, I'll list my nuts-and-bolts detail reasons. I definitely understand that Ania may be the only one who's interested in reading all of this, but that's okay. Hers generated the most thoughts, so I'll do my best to express them. I've tried my best to condense them, and will no doubt be editing, to make sure I get at least most everything said. So, here goes...

The Files and Forum have been online for 20 years [thank heaven!] and this will be the first, official logo for the dynamic duo [Files & Forum], beyond Leonard's signature, which has previously been described as actually being more of a header. The length and breadth of Leonard's work, that is represented and discussed, goes far beyond these 20 years; and reaches over 50 years, half a century! When Leonard began his work, it didn't matter how he looked; as he has continued his work, up until now, it hasn't mattered how he looks; and, as he goes into the future, it will still not matter how he looks. As handsome as Leonard is, the deeper truth is it's never mattered how he looks... it was always his words, followed by his voice and his music. That he was so gorgeous and elegant in manner and dress, and soft-spoken, too, was just an amazing bonus. We cannot help but respect the whole. So, too, should the logo represent the whole.

Presented in one form or another, Leonard's work will always be that of which he is Master, the written word. Whether remaining written or being spoken or sung, he chooses his words carefully, and from various comments he's made, he appears to consider himself, first and foremost, a writer; and seemingly primarily a poet.

Therefore, for me, the logo to best represent the Files & Forum needs to be comprehensive and timeless [going back, as well as forward]. Leonard's looks will continue to change, but the essence of who he is will remain. The Files documents poetry, songs, writing, art, and photographs from throughout different times and eras of Leonard's life and career.

Ania's logo design captures the unique combination of gravitas, authenticity, and timelessness to represent all that Leonard has devoted his life to... whether his poetry, his novels, or his songs, he and they are inextricably linked with notebook and pen. Leonard Cohen is a master of words.

[I hope to finish this tonight, but it's almost 3:00 AM, and I need to tube feed my ill cat. Will return later to continue... possibly edit what's already here, plus add my Nuts and Bolts details ~~~ I'm back and have continued. So, editing this as an update at 6:30 AM.]

Nuts and Bolts Details

Profound, classy, and classic ... three words fitting Leonard also fit Ania's design. Though relatively simple in its physical presentation, Ania's design is symbolically more complex. It gives a deeper sense of the many layers of Leonard's work, as well as the many pages that are the Files and Forum. It will stand the test of time.

Ania's design does not focus on Leonard specifically as singer or musician, but as Leonard as writer, and the creator of his works of words, which includes singer and musician. It's elegant and conveys much without having to say anything. A notebook and pen are part of Leonard's every day world. I like that his signature is capitalized, and the "files" and "forum" are not... in the end, the emphasis remains on Leonard. The upward angle of his name, "files &," and the notebook is optimistic and more interesting than if they were absolutely horizontal and it creates a subtle and interesting contrast with "forum," which is horizontal and in typeset whose ink appears to be smudged. The 'writing' hearkens back in time and the typeset in that font is more modern.

With other pages of the notebook being visible, it conveys a deeper sense of the many layers of Leonard's work. His black notebook [with the subtle spiral, which works so well as a detail adding interest] and the pen have been constants with him, from the beginning through to now, the 20th Anniversary of the Files & Forum. Its overall look hearkens to the ancient, wherein Leonard's writing with its historical references, and the musical instrumentation in his songs do, as well. This logo presents as very personal, with Leonard's signature and the 'handwritten' "files." With its placement at the mid-point on the vertical plane, the files lays claim to Leonard's pen. The aging typeset of "forum;" the natural, 'aged' colours that are plain, simple, and 'him;' and the difference in the grey shading from the left page to the right, make the notebook appear to be historical, yet still 'alive,' a living work in progress. In addition, the irregularity of the pages leaves room to see them as the ragged edges of parchment or as simply a notebook, with what appears to be a loose piece of paper stuck in the back [adding realism, with that being such a likelihood with any writer].

Ania's distinctly different, unique design is very literary, as is Leonard. With the real pen in hers, it reminds me that Leonard has always been a bit of a scribe [though not as literal as the definition, it still applies] ~ "an ancient Jewish record-keeper or, later, a professional theologian and jurist," with Leonard a Jew, and his work often hearkening to the ancient, at the same time that he has recorded the angst and joy of being human, period; and historical references of religion and spirituality, with the Holocaust, Joan of Arc, Queen Victoria, Catherine Tekakwitha, Isaac, and more, as he has functioned in many ways as a scribe.

Aligning horizontally with where it says "forum" are two of Leonard's own, most beautiful logos, each representing different eras of his career. They bring a sense of lightness and pleasure that are in his work, as well; as the Hummingbird crosses the boundary of the Unified Hearts with its beak, it speaks to the forum, a place where we all gather, as those hearts unified by Leonard, to draw nectar and nourishment in many forms from each other, Jarkko, Eija, and the forum as a whole. From Book of Mercy's cover, the Unified Hearts [as David Peloquin wrote] speaks to Leonard's "personal and universal resolution of the existential twist," and again these themes appear throughout Leonard's writings and songs.

This logo is broad-based and covers 'who' Leonard is... it visually represents what Leonard, the Files, and the Forum are about without having to say or spell out a thing. Ania clearly created her design with a lot of intention. Of course, that doesn't mean hers aligned with my interpretations. It remains that I think it's brilliant!

All the best,
Lizzie
Last edited by lizzytysh on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “News”