New live album: Can't Forget

phillip

Re: New live album: Can't Forget

Post by phillip »

just reserved 2 copies!!!! cant wait
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
jerry

Post by jerry »

I'm not as excited about this release as I was when I first heard about it. I never can get as excited about a live release as I do for a studio release. I'll get it when it comes out but unlike a new studio album I won't be counting the days until it's released.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

in 'death of a lady's man' leonard wrote: "let the audience feel your love of privacy even though there is no privacy". no easy task, but one he always managed somehow to accomplish. with this forthcoming collection of soundcheck recordings it seems the listener is to be given a 'behind the scenes' glimpse of him at work. i doubt these rehearsals were intended to be made public at the time, so allowing an audience now to share his love of privacy in such a grand way is a testament to his openness. from what i have read, this new CD sounds jolly interesting. this type of release always captures my interest in a different way than a studio album - which can often take several listenings before the songs become familiar. to be privileged to be a 'fly on the wall' at the soundcheck of an artiste of leonard cohen's calibre is a rare and exciting piece of news. can't wait for 'can't forget' :-)
mutti

Post by mutti »

Loved what you wrote Geoffrey! exactly my sentiments…so looking forward to hearing Can't Forget.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

>Loved what you wrote Geoffrey! exactly my sentiments…so looking forward to hearing Can't Forget.
>Leslie 8)

that was very nice to receive such quick and positive feedback, leslie. much appreciated :-)
pe swijngedouw

Post by pe swijngedouw »

la manic : thank you soooo very much !
... precisely ...
Suz

Post by Suz »

Great news. I didn't expect anything so early in the year! Think the released track is great. Now if only he could do one more tour :D
Citizen_Kane

Post by Citizen_Kane »

Album is great in concept and offers some fine unreleased songs! Very much looking forward to this release. And to Joan of Arc in particular!

Of course, my appetite for anything Cohen is insatiable: I very much hoped The Guests, A Singer Must Die and Crazy To Love You would be on the album! But perhaps those weren't played in the Old Ideas part of the World Tour? Of which this release of course presents us rarities.
fusional wrote:...the blues-y Cohen sound isn't my favourite
jerry wrote:I'm a little tired of these blues songs. They all sound exactly the same.
I have to agree. I don't find blues a genre comfortable to hear LC sing.
2008: Manchester, Brussels (2), Rotterdam - 2009: Lisboa - 2010: Lille, Dortmund - 2012: Ghent (3), Amsterdam (2) - 2013: Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

They've left plenty of scope for Can't Foget vol 2 haven't they Citizen_Kane?!!

W
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

fusional wrote:
>>the blues-y Cohen sound isn't my favourite

jerry wrote:
>>I'm a little tired of these blues songs. They all sound exactly the same

Citizen_Kane wrote:
>I don't find blues a genre comfortable to hear LC sing
------------------------------------
well, i think it's very nice that you are honest, even though these comments could be hurtful should mr cohen be made aware of them. he will understand you are 'being cruel to be kind' as they call it, i am sure. consideration to a person's feelings should never be given priority over truth - and he will know and respect that. not everybody agrees that an old man in his 80s should continue being creative, continue singing and spreading some joy in this big grey world. jesus said: "do not give dogs what is sacred, and do not throw your pearls to pigs, because they will trample them under foot" - but he had never heard leonard singing the blues, of course. nowadays bob dylan's 'like a rolling stone' is largely acclaimed one of rock music's greatest songs, and just because the audience booed when he first sang it that doesn't mean they had poor taste - it just meant they had not the capacity to appreciate genius. so, i applaud that you have the courage to openly voice your complaints without fear of what others may think of you. be proud of yourselves - bravo!
yopietro

Post by yopietro »

Geoffrey wrote: ------------------------------------
well, i think it's very nice that you are honest, even though these comments could be hurtful should mr cohen be made aware of them. he will understand you are 'being cruel to be kind' as they call it, i am sure. consideration to a person's feelings should never be given priority over truth - and he will know and respect that. not everybody agrees that an old man in his 80s should continue being creative, continue singing and spreading some joy in this big grey world. jesus said: "do not give dogs what is sacred, and do not throw your pearls to pigs, because they will trample them under foot" - but he had never heard leonard singing the blues, of course. nowadays bob dylan's 'like a rolling stone' is largely acclaimed one of rock music's greatest songs, and just because the audience booed when he first sang it that doesn't mean they had poor taste - it just meant they had not the capacity to appreciate genius. so, i applaud that you have the courage to openly voice your complaints without fear of what others may think of you. be proud of yourselves - bravo!
So what you're saying is that there never should be a critical word of opinion here on Leonard's work that is not one of praise, lest his feelings be hurt if he happens to be browsing the forum? How then can we ever have a discussion of any substance of his work here, if the idea is, "let's talk about Leonard Cohen's music, but don't say anything negative." Leonard's work has spoken to everyone who posts here in one way or another. That doesn't mean that everyone is going to love everything he does.
Your mocking post of a few people who didn't like the blues songs is not just ridiculous in itself. (The Jesus and Dylan comparisons fall sadly flat). More importantly, it does a disservice to the forum, which should be a place where Leonard Cohen fans can openly discuss their feelings about the man's music.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

yopietro wrote:
>. . . That doesn't mean that everyone is going to love everything he does. Your mocking post of a few people who didn't like the blues songs is not just ridiculous in itself. (The Jesus and Dylan comparisons fall sadly flat). More importantly, it does a disservice to the forum, which should be a place where Leonard Cohen fans can openly discuss their feelings about the man's music.
-----------------------------------
my goodness me, it was never my intention to induce such a display of passive aggression, so please forgive me for getting you all fired up. it is just that i was brought up to see the best in people. my grandmother taught me that if a person can't say something good about a person then they should hold their tongue - but i do not expect others to abide by her teaching. naturally you must feel free to criticise leonard as much as you wish, i am sure you mean well. god forbid that i should have any influence over another person's freedom of speech. we are all at different levels in our development - it is a waste to give a child a volume of dostoevsky, for example - so should my clumsy rhetoric offend you i will be the first to apologise. i admit that i might sometimes have a tendency to defend leonard when he is attacked, but that is only because through all the years i have never known him to say anything bad about anyone - or negate any part of their work. i noticed that you used the word 'mocking' in your message to me, and that brought back memories of an old film where gregory peck explains why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird. he says: "they do nothing except make music for us to enjoy; they don't eat people's gardens, they don't nest in corncribs - they don't do anything except just sing their hearts out for us." -geoffrey
-----------------------------------
https://youtu.be/Mwln_HszMlY
Last edited by Geoffrey on Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
hilarius

Post by hilarius »

This is such delightfull news. I was hoping for a Songs of the road-like album of 'the grand tour' to fill is some missing peaces on Live in Dublin. Ever since hearing the moving renditions of especially Light as a breeze and Night comes on, I've been wanting to hear them again with a good quality of sound.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

I'm sure Leonard makes good use of 'all the bad reviews' - though probably knows which to trust most !

In an interview with Rolling Stone around the time of Popular Problems, he explained how he knows when a song is working. "You can pretty well tell," Cohen said. "We play it for select people, like my daughter – there's a few people who aren't afraid to tell you that it isn't working. We had another song on the album, which was called 'Happens to the Heart,' which will be on the next album. It's a very good lyric, a very good tune, but we didn't nail it. So we didn't put each other on about it – not for more than a week or two."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z3UlhJpdDZ
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
fentiger

Post by fentiger »

Any new album from Leonard is always very welcome, especially with new songs .... Very excited.....Can't stop smiling! :D :D :D

Return to “2015 Release: Can't Forget”