Our Hydra Meetup in June 2015

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
jarkko
Site Admin

Our Hydra Meetup in June 2015

Post by jarkko »

It's time to announce our next meetup on Hydra! It will take place during the second weekend of June 2015, from June 12 to 14. Some of us will come a bit earlier (or stay for some days longer; it will be up to your own plans! Most participants who will stay for some extra days will probably do it again before the meetup weekend).

In 2002 we had our big Leonard Cohen Event on Hydra (report at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/hydraevent.html). Later we have had biennial meetups in 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013 and now again in 2015!).

Last time, in 2013, we organized an one day excursion on the Peloponnese across Hydra, to visit the ancient theater of Epidaurus and the picturesque city of Nafplion. It was a huge success, and we probably will do it again either on Thursday June 11 or Friday June 12. Number of seats in the bus will be limited to about 50. More about this later. In 2013, the price was 70 eur including boat, bus, ticket to the museum, delicious meal and guiding by our local friend Lakis. Budget for 2015 is still open (it will be up to the number of people who want to do the excursion).

We also hope to have the grand opening of the Famous Stone Bench!

We will also rent the Open Air cinema for Saturday evening (June 13), and are going to show you some interesting video footage... Some 5 eur per person will be collected to pay the rent.

We have to underline that this will not be any official gathering, just a meetup for people who want to spend some time on the beautiful island with like-minded Cohenites. We will give some advice about the connections from Athens/Piraeus to Hydra and some addresses for booking your accommodation, but all arrangements are up to the travellers themselves.

Early June has been chosen again for several reasons. First of all, the tourist season has not yet begun - there are rooms available at all hotels, and the prices are lower than a week or two later. The weather is ideal, not yet hot but warm enough. The restaurants are not full, and serve the most delicious food.

One more time: this unofficial gathering is only for people who want to spend some time together on the beautiful island. We will suggest good restaurants for dinners, we enjoy some Mythoses at the Roloi Bar in the harbour, maybe do some walks in the Hydra city and up to the hills -- it will be more like a holiday! We hope that those who play guitar will take their instruments with them!

Even if the meetup is less formal than our Events, we need to have some idea of the number of participants. Please let us know by email to Jarkko (use email button under my avatar on the right), if you plan to come. Your name will be listed on the Hydra Meetup page at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/backtohydra.html (let us know if you don't want to show it). You will also find links to photo galleries and videos on that page.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Re: Our Hydra Meetup in June 2015

Post by Mabeanie1 »

OK, so I've messed up completely. I knew I probably had but now it's official. Sadly I will miss next year's Hydra get-together as we are due to fly to the US on 10 June.

Have a great time everyone!

Wendy
teresaos

Post by teresaos »

Does anyone know the approx time of the latest ferry/hydrofoil from Piraeus to Hydra in June?
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Approx 7:30 or 8pm
newfoundland--understand?
B4real

Post by B4real »

I see there are already three people coming to the Hydra meetup in June from Australia.
Just wondering if any one else from Australia is thinking of going too?
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

B4real wrote:I see there are already three people coming to the Hydra meetup in June from Australia.
Just wondering if any one else from Australia is thinking of going too?
How about you? Will you come this year? I hope so !
newfoundland--understand?
B4real

Post by B4real »

Ah Anne, in a perfect world it wouldn't be hard to come but at the moment it’s less than half the perfect world for me - even so that could mean there’s still more than half a chance ..... :)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
NaomiBushwoman

Post by NaomiBushwoman »

I am in the Immigration Canada machine. I am not certain to be able to depart Canada for
at least 18 months. Have a great time, I'll be there in spirit.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

About four months to go... we have now 114 names in the list. This will be our biggest gathering on the island since the Event in 2002!

I sent an update to all participants yesterday, a copy is below. The name list and other info can be found here: www.leonardcohenfiles.com/backtohydra.html
Here is some advance info about the program.

FRIDAY June 12: Boat/Bus tour to the mainland – to the ancient theater of Epidaurus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidaurus) and other points of interest. This trip will start early in the morning, and a dinner will be included. We will be back around 7 pm.
I am waiting for the price & other details from Lakis of The Hydra Cine Club. He will organize the trip, and also be our expert guide. We will accept reservations on first come first served basis until the capacity (some 50-60) is full.
No reservations yet – we will need to know the price first. The participation fee will be collected also this time in advance, and there will be no refund if you don’t come (However, you can “sell” your seat to people in the wait-list if we get more reservations than our capacity will be).
It might also be possible to rent a double-decker instead of a regular bus if we get really many reservations. More about this later! Meanwhile you can have a look at the 2013 photos here: http://cohen.1g.fi/kuvat/Hydra+2013/

SATURDAY June 13: Opening ceremony of the Bench in the afternoon. We are still waiting for the final permission from the Historical/Archeological Office in Athens, but our local contacts are confident that we get the permit in time. We already have all the stones ready, just waiting for the green light from Athens.

SATURDAY June 13: Evening session at the Hydra Cine Club, the open air theater: Screening of one of Leonard’s concerts. A fee of 5 eur will be collected, to cover the rent of the Club and costs of the technical personnel.

SUNDAY June 14: The traditional walk up to the Monastery in the morning; farewell dinner in the evening.

In the evenings we will meet at the Roloi in the harbor area for late night get-together & sing-along. We will give some Dinner suggestions but with such a large group it will be best to split up into smaller groups. (With the exception of the Sunday Dinner).

Just four months to go!
Looking forward to seeing you in Greece
Jarkko
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Okay, got that much taken care of... at least I'll be staying there. Now, I've just got to get there!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Greg Ross

Post by Greg Ross »

It's official - I've got the leave - Mr and Mrs Ross will be attending the Hydra Meet-Up in June.
Attachments
Two Hobbits Hydra Bound!
Two Hobbits Hydra Bound!
1-Hobbitown 051.JPG (53.62 KiB) Viewed 7384 times
All Good Things
Greg

http://www.gregross.com.au/
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

OHHHhhhhh, YAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!
[Greg and Ann]
:) :) :)

Be sure you put yourselves down for the Epidaurus on Friday, the 12th! Email Jarkko!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

To all who're listed to Hydra:
Did you get my group email on March 22 with payment instructions (for the excursion and the Cinema Night)?
I have heard from at least one member who didn't get the email (perhaps it went to a spam folder?).
Please email me NOW if you didn't receive the email.

We have to nail the final number in the Epidaurus bus on April 10, and also need to know how many will come to the Cinema Night
(the group is so big that the club may need to rent extra seats!)

If You plan to come to Hydra in June but have not yet asked to be listed: do it now!!!
OR if you're listed but cannot make it to Greece, also please let me know!

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”