Leonard 80 years: Fund Raising for our Hydra Bench

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
rpan

Re: Leonard 80 years: Fund Raising for our Hydra Bench

Post by rpan »

I would also favour keeping this initiative all on Hydra and putting surplus funds towards medical equipment required - or some other local charity effort running in the community.
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
CarolinaCooks

Post by CarolinaCooks »

Wow! Well done us... what a collaboration of love and appreciation. Thank you to all those getting behind the admin and organising. No mean feat!

I like the idea to put any surplus money into Hydra, very much... and feel the best thing to is to ask Leonard for his preference... its so amazing that there is spare money... a river of gratitude... he'll know where it most needs to go.
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

Thrilled to hear that the fundraising has been so successful. The bench will be magnificent and I hope to see it in person. I have to say, from reading Jarkko's post about the excess money, my preferred option, given the state of things today, would be to donate the extra to The Fund for Reconciliation, Tolerance and Peace. But all the options sound worthy, and I'm sure the money will be valued whenever it ends up.
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

My preference is also for The Fund for Reconciliation, Tolerance and Peace. However I do think Leonard should be asked which he prefers.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
rike

Post by rike »

Great news that the Hydra project (and maintenance of the bench) is secured! My vote for surplus funds goes for the Fund for Reconciliation, Tolerance and Peace.
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Hello. I think there are always fans travelling to Hydra and they will more than likely make sure that bench and surrounding area is always looking nice.

I vote to give the surplus to the locals .
Recession hit Greece hard and any help we could give them regarding medical supplies etc,

I think it would be greatly appreciated and when the locals pass the bench, they will smile and remember the contribution that Leonards fans made, even if its not a huge amount
Last edited by tinderella on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Great news re the fund raising. I look forward to seeing the bench project become a reality over the coming months.

Re the surplus: my vote also goes to using it to improve medical etc provision on Hydra. Many of us visit Hydra and many more hope to visit in the future. It is inevitable that eome visitors will need to make use of the medical facilities on the island so equipment purchased etc will benefit the local people and visitors, including Cohenites, alike.

I don''t beleve the surplus should go to the Fund for Reconciliation, Tolerance and Peace. It is potentially controversial and some people may object to the use of their donations for this purpose.

Wendy
harald

Post by harald »

Thanks again Jarkko and Marie and all involved!
(I received the payment confermation mail)

I would put aside a rather generous lot for future maintenance of the bench and area. Work ist costly nowadays.
Not sure for the rest. Is Hydra poor? (not been there yet)
Say or Hydra equipment or Mr. Cohen´s foundation.

Harald
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
mutti

Post by mutti »

How wonderful so much was raised for the Hydra Bench. I support any extra funds be either donated for maintenance of the bench, to the community of Hydra for Medical Equipment as needed or to the The Fund for Reconciliation, Tolerance and Peace. Likely the best thing is to ask Leonard what he prefers…
Thank you Jarkko & Marie and all the others who have worked on this project to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Fantastic news, Jarkko!

This is my proposal for the extra money:

When I was in Hydra in June, I was saddened to see the devastating effects of the recent fires.
Coming from a Mediterranean country, I know well the long-term effects .... desertification.
With many terrible consequences for the environement, plants, microclimate, animals and people.
Erosion in a Mediterranean island is much faster than the revegetation. When natural revegetation will be ready to start, there will be no fertile soil to grow.
It does not seem that the Greek government is currently able to invest in reforestation of the island.
Have absolutely no idea if there is any private or public program to do it or if there's a possibility to collaborate.
What you think to spending our money to reforest at least one small burned area?
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

BEATRIZ SALLES wrote:Fantastic news, Jarkko!

This is my proposal for the extra money:

When I was in Hydra in June, I was saddened to see the devastating effects of the recent fires.
Coming from a Mediterranean country, I know well the long-term effects .... desertification.
With many terrible consequences for the environement, plants, microclimate, animals and people.
Erosion in a Mediterranean island is much faster than the revegetation. When natural revegetation will be ready to start, there will be no fertile soil to grow.
It does not seem that the Greek government is currently able to invest in reforestation of the island.
Have absolutely no idea if there is any private or public program to do it or if there's a possibility to collaborate.
What you think to spending our money to reforest at least one small burned area?
I think that's a great idea Bea, if there is someone to organise it.

Wendy
crystal

Post by crystal »

This is a wonderful thing that we were able to raise so much money.
I favour the idea of spending the surplus for a Hydra project - for this I would even add to my contribution.
Christel
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

I support the medical equipement for Hydra.
reneny3

Post by reneny3 »

Wonderful news! :)

I think the surplus sum should be kept in Hydra - for medical equipment as suggested, or for anything else the community may need.

This will benefit both the people of Hydra and the fans who visit the island.
There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in.
holydove

Post by holydove »

somewhat_nifty wrote:my preferred option, given the state of things today, would be to donate the extra to The Fund for Reconciliation, Tolerance and Peace.
That's exactly what I was thinking ("given the state of things today"), when I first suggested the Fund for Reconciliation, Tolerance & Peace, & I'm thinking the same thing now. But Hydra is also a worthy case. Perhaps, if we end up with no real majority of votes here, we could divide the extra money, giving some to Hydra & some to The Fund. Or, if possible, I agree with the idea of asking Leonard to express his preference.

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”