Sadly, Roshi has passed away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
dick

Re: Sadly, Roshi has passed away

Post by dick »

Condolences to Leonard and those who loved Roshi.

RIP Roshi.
phillip

Post by phillip »

Am very sorry to hear this sad news my thoughts and prayers and Condolences are with the zen centre and Leonard
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
Cate

Post by Cate »

I can not possibly imagine all of the things Roshi saw and experienced in his 107 years. All of the changes in this world that he witnessed first hand; world wars - atomic bombs, the death of emperors the election of presidents. He was around when people first started to fly. What would that have been like to be a young man/a teenager and see those beautiful canvas wooden planes go by, what kind of things would you imagine looking up at them, as our world was right on the verge of such dramatic changes?

My concordances to all who are grieving this loss. I'm not sure if journeys continue after death, but if they do I wish Roshi and peaceful one.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

So true, Cate... so MANY contrasts in the world that passed through Roshi's eyes and mind.
A solid 'rock' in Leonard's world now gone.
A long, full life for him, but still as the thread is title, sadly.
My heartfelt condolences to Leonard, as well as to all others who knew and loved him.
May his spirit soar through the afterworld.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Clem

Post by Clem »

Sylvie Simmons, Leonard's biographer, reflects on Roshi passing away last Sunday, in her blog 'The Silence Between Two thoughts', July 31, 2014:

http://sylviesimmons.com/blog/
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Some of us have affectionate memories of Roshi, even if we only know of him as a friend of Leonard's, and a loveable figure in Mount Baldy videos. Those who have personal issues with him need to be bold enough to tell their story, and not remain the"silent ones".
harald

Post by harald »

well put, John!
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

A balanced obituary with reference to Leonard's relationship with Roshi, amongst other things, from the LA Times a few days ago:

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... story.html

Wendy
dick

Post by dick »

Thanks Wendy.

Well done.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Yes thanks for that link -achieves a kind of balance by clearly describing 2 sides to Roshi , but fails to reconcile them , so he is both a charismatic teacher and, possibly, ........ and we are left with the dissonance. Perhaps that's how it needs to be.
Another attempt at ' balance' can be found here http://www.tricycle.com/blog/joshu-sasa ... r-dies-107

I''m surprised at the relatively small number of posts in this thread , given Roshi's importance to Leonard. Perhaps trying to get a comfortable balance is somewhat disabling?
Last edited by cohenadmirer on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
stan

Post by stan »

RIP,even though i only knew you through Leonard.x
liverpool, Manchester,Leeds.
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

I did not know Roshi but thoughts of Leonard who must be hurting at this time.
Sleep softly Roshi
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

In my religion, the one I was born in, and have learned as a child, the Master did show the way in this manner :
Jesus faced a mob that was eager to execute a woman caught in adultery. He put a stop to it with a simple challenge: anyone who has no sin in their life should step forward and throw the first stone.
(and, Himself, was never caught the hand in somebody's pants)

May Roshi rest in peace, it is to G-d to judge the souls.

My sincere sympathy to anyone in grief.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers

Return to “News”