CONCERT REPORT: Kingston, Ontario - December 13, 2012

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
its4inthemorning

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Kingston, Ontario - December 13, 2012

Post by its4inthemorning »

Just returned home from Kingston, a nice little city that I will try to revisit when the weather is warmer.

This was a great show. It is hard to compare a show you just saw with ones from the past, but I feel safe in saying this was the best Leonard concert I have seen, surpassing even L'Olympia in September which is no easy feat.

From the start Mr Cohen's voice was very strong, more so than I've heard it, he was really projecting it quite well. Somehow his voice seems to be getting stronger with age. Especially in the second set I found his singing to be very forceful and emotional...as if he really was giving it everything he had.

I could run through most of the setlist and offer compliments, but instead will just mention that the versions I heard last night of "Waiting for the Miracle" and "Lover Lover Lover" were the best I've ever heard. And "La Manic," which I only heard him play once on youtube, really captured my attention--not being fluent in French I did not understand the lyrics, but hearing the beutiful music and Mr Cohen mastering another language in song made this memorable.

It is almost a given that the band will perform flawlessly, and that was the case. I think (and hope) they were having as good a time as it seemed they were.

It was great to be able to meet a few other fans from the forum, nice and gentle people as all of Mr Cohen's fans seem to be. Thanks much to Cate for arranging the dinner meet-up! Seeing Mr Cohen in Kingston was time and money well-spent!

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
Sochijava

Post by Sochijava »

"I also hope someone captured Darkness. During Rafael' s drum solo Leonard was kind of chanting."

Mary, yes! I forgot to mention the Darkness. It was great and a quite different delivery from the other two concerts I attended over the past couple of weeks. I wouldn't say he was chanting, but perhaps scat singing? Maybe he was channeling Ella Fitzgerald. I could make out a few words, but it seemed bluesy/scat like to me.

I got the sense that Kingston was a sort of a test ground ... perhaps there will be more of this in the coming shows. I do hope he brings La Manic to the international audience too.
Toronto June 6 2008; Ottawa May 25 & 26 2009; Las Vegas 11 December 2010; Montreal 2012; Ottawa 2012; Kingston 2012.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by geoff smith - Thanks!

Leonard Cohen bids farewell at KRC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv5tubGk4j0
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

And another video of the end of show -

Uploaded by Matt Gilgan - Thanks!

Leonard Cohen at the K-Rock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuu39mEuWKY
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Beautiful picture of the town.

Thanks for the report, here! So nice to read, those.

I do believe they are really happy, they can. The tour is almost finished, it is a success, and by now they are mastering every note and silence, so they can enjoy playing - and they are making so much happy people around them doing it.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Dasia

Post by Dasia »

Just back to Toronto from Kingston; we stayed part of the day after the concert to tour and Christmas shop. (I'd bought tickets to Kingston as plans originally had us out of the country until Dec. 10.) Many thanks to the kind gentleman from Port Perry who sold us his extra ticket so everyone in our party was able to attend the concert. And as a result I ended up in a seat close to the stage among other very devoted LC fans; how wonderful it was to experience this perfect show with all of you!

Though it may have replaced The Partisan, a particular favourite I'd hoped to hear, I was surprised and moved by La Manic. It was the only song that was completely new to me. I grew up in Montreal, and my father, an engineer, visited Manicouagan and other Hydro Quebec sites in his work. He really liked the area and the people he met there, and as it happened the night of the concert was the fifth anniversary of his death.

In so many ways, it was worth driving to Kingston!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Bon Evans - at his blog TuneIntoBon -
http://tuneintobon.com/2012/12/leonard-cohen/
Leonard Cohen Changed my Mindset

Posted on December 14, 2012

Leonard Cohen Exits Stage Right, Waving To Us As He Goes.

Last night I was very fortunate to watch a truly amazing performance by Leonard Cohen and his extremely talented band. The show started promptly at eight, and most thought it would be an early night – after all Leonard is getting close to his eighties. But NO! Total Shock when, after a packed-full set, Leonard announced they would be back onstage following a twenty minute break! (Leonard sure knows how to keep the venue happy! Extra Sales for that break!).

Once the band leapt back up on stage Leonard thanked the crowd for not going home, and they quickly snapped back to some toe-tapping music. When it came time for Leonard to come off stage he humbly honored his fellow musicians by reintroducing them to the crowd. The audience was blown away by the performance and no one had any intention of leaving the building just yet. Leonard not only came back out to perform one encore, but THREE!

The last year has been an uphill battle for me. With music being such a recent addition to my life, I have been overcoming my own inexperience and confidence issues. What I know is that with all the troubles myself and everyone face on day-to-day basis, I find that music is always the One True release that brings me to centre. If I cannot express what I mean through a direct conversation, then sometimes an emotion or feeling from my music will express what I intended perfectly.

Leonard’s truth and honesty compares to no other. I took the time to reflect on how this artist inspires me and found so many answers to questions I didn’t even know were there. I can’t please everyone at the same time, but I will always be growing and learning from my experiences. I know that these are the first steps to what is going to be a joyful, loving, terrifyingly exhilarating adventure.

Your Feedback is more than appreciated, it’s invaluable. I am always looking to inspire and be inspired. Currently writing more songs every day, but there is not enough time in the day to record them all… not yet at least.

The First Contest is going Great so Far! Keep Sharing, Liking, and subscribing. Everyone is getting entered into the draw for a Signed Debut CD, with personal message from me. This will be first thing I have signed. So join in, and lets see who in the world will get this Prize :~) I am not sure what the 5 runner up prizes will be yet, so ideas are welcome. Either way it will have a great personal touch to it.

Forever indebted for your support.

Thank You Leonard, for the Life-Changing Performance!

This entry was posted in inspiration and tagged Leonard Cohen, Old Ideas Tour 2012 by tune0170. Bookmark the permalink.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by Christine Brunke - Thanks!

Hallelujah ("I did not come to Kingston to fool you")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM0ihmMwb4o
Cate

Post by Cate »

This was my first concert this tour.

We had a small meet up before and after the concert; it was so nice meeting some people for the first time and re-meeting others.

Things that stood out for me were how happy and relaxed everyone seemed to be, the on stage rapport and the high energy – especially during the encores. At one point he yelled out something like ~ ‘I almost forgot to tell you just how god damn beautiful you are'. They really seemed to be having fun.
I don’t know what my favourite songs where, things that stand out right now are; the reciting of 1000 kisses deep followed by Anthem - that felt very right together, Sharron singing Alexandria Leaving (Wow - what a voice, just beautiful), Lover Lover Lover!!!! and La Manic (that was great, I felt bad that I missed seeing that in Montreal - I thought I had missed my chance).
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From QueensJournal -
http://queensjournal.ca/blogs/limelight ... ds-k-rock/
(I think this is the newspaper for Queens's University in Kingston)

There were tremendous amounts of applause at the end of the show and Leonard Cohen called out, “Where did you guys learn this compassion? Was it taught at Queen’s or RMC?” which only helped inspire more applause.
At the end, I found myself standing along with that same elderly couple giving Leonard Cohen a standing ovation.

Cohen Crowds The K-Rock
Posted by Savoula Stylianou on December 17, 2012 @ 11:29 a.m. EST

By Michael Green
Contributor

38 years later, Leonard Cohen sings “Hallelujah” like it’s the first time in 1984.

The 78-year-old stopped at the K-Rock Centre last Thursday as part of his acclaimed 2012 Old Ideas tour.

A month ago, Metric had a crowd screaming and jumping on the ground floor of the K-Rock Centre. Meanwhile, Cohen had rows of chairs on the ground floor full of people sitting and admiring his musical talent. Not as loud, but still as fervently excited about the music.

The most noticeable quality of the concert was the respect the audience gave Cohen on what is supposed to be his last ever tour.

There was an elderly couple close to me who would give a standing ovation after every song with huge smiles on their faces, proving that Cohen has earned his status as a music legend with a solid fan base that have stayed with him through the years.

Someone beside me remarked that even though the crowd was sober, everyone was still so completely into the music.

Cohen returned the respect from his fans as well.

When the lights focused on Sharon Robinson, one of the back-up female vocalists on the tour, and she did a solo of “Alexandra Leaving,” Leonard Cohen tipped his hat to her.

While the audience might have been more mature, the concert was not tame by any means. It was the first concert I’ve been to where all the floor seats were filled with older people – it looks as though Cohen wasn’t in any danger of any scandalous flashing happening from his female fans.

He still sang all the frank songs of passion that made him so popular throughout his career.

“You told me you preferred attractive men, but for me you’d make an exception,” Cohen sang to a nameless woman who “gave him head” long ago. That was accompanied by many hoots from the crowd.

“Lover Lover Lover” was the most captivating song of the night and had the crowd singing along to his weathered hands masterfully playing his guitar.

Even though it was full of lyrics imbued with old longing for a lover, there was nothing tired about it.

Leonard Cohen swayed to his own music, and sang the chorus with ease along with his fedora-clad back-up band.

Cohen’s status as a music icon is well-deserved. His love of music is so obvious as he gets down on his knees to sing the majority of his songs. The audience feels every deep emotion along with the singer.

There were tremendous amounts of applause at the end of the show and Leonard Cohen called out, “Where did you guys learn this compassion? Was it taught at Queen’s or RMC?” which only helped inspire more applause.

At the end, I found myself standing along with that same elderly couple giving Leonard Cohen a standing ovation.
Cate

Post by Cate »

There were tremendous amounts of applause at the end of the show and Leonard Cohen called out, “Where did you guys learn this compassion? Was it taught at Queen’s or RMC?”
No, this happened during the Tower of Song - just after we came back from break. A young man just behind us yelled out to Leonard, I can't remember what exactly (let me confer with my better memoried companion) and Leonard teased him.

The end of the show was mostly about dancing. There was a comment about a curfew (I believe that the centre may have reminded him of the time) and some gracious parting words.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

The above review states: "The most noticeable quality of the concert was the respect the audience gave Cohen on what is supposed to be his last ever tour."

I wonder where he got that idea? Cohen's been talking for years about touring when he's in his 80s.
telephonedancer

Post by telephonedancer »

Note to Michael Green- nameless only to you. :roll:
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

:lol:
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Article in TheStar - a Toronto newspaper - references Toronto shows but the columnist attended the show in Kingston, Ontario

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/mu ... macfarlane
Leonard Cohen An Artist Who Gives Everything He’s Got
Published on Wednesday December 19, 2012

David Macfarlane
Entertainment Columnist

I was not the only person who left Leonard Cohen’s recent concert with my mind on the subject of generosity. What people were saying about the show in the departing audience at Kingston’s K-Rock Centre — which is where we saw him last week—were the same reviews I’d heard from friends who had seen him at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto.

What a generous performer, people said over and over — and by this, so it was understood, they did not mean only that the concert was a long one. Although it was. They meant that for the 2½-plus hours that we were in Cohen’s company (and the company of his excellent fellow musicians) he fulfilled the promise he made at the concert’s outset. “We’re going to give you everything we’ve got,” he said. And they did.

In Kingston, Cohen gave the impression that there was no place else on earth that he would rather be. He so clearly enjoys performing, and so obviously enjoys weaving the trance of beauty that his lyrics and his melodies create, his generosity seems not like an act at all. Which isn’t to say it’s not theatrical. Cohen approaches the stage with a courtly formality — as aware of the effect of his presence and of the audience’s response to each song as a much more old-fashioned crooner would have been.

“He’s our Charles Aznavour. Or our Jacques Brel,” said one of the friends with whom we attended the show.

This is no Miles Davis or Bob Dylan — artists notoriously distant from the audiences they played before. Cohen was warm, funny, gracious. He made a venue that he described (to the chagrin, I’m sure, of Kingston’s city fathers) as “this old hockey rink” feel like a living room. At one point, after he returned to the stage after the intermission, he could see that people were still moving toward their seats (especially the women who had been stuck in the inevitable lineups by which so many venues entirely ignore the needs of half their clientele.) “Don’t hurry,” he said calmly, as he waited for the audience to settle. “We have lots of time.” And indeed, it seemed as if he did. His encores in response to the standing ovations he received became almost a third set.

We do not live in a very generous age. Our great corporate donors — thanked profusely and exhaustively from stages and concert halls, as per their own detailed instructions to the grateful recipients of their largesse — would have us believe that they are generous. But they aren’t, not really. They are in the business of disguising advertising as philanthropy — and while that may not be a bad thing, it’s not generosity. Look around town at the “named” halls, and wings, and galleries and buildings — and ask yourself if true generosity requires so obvious a payback. Sit through another tedious speech from the corporate sponsor of some great cultural event, and ask yourself if generosity naturally includes telling anyone who is forced to listen how generous you are.

Generosity is a word that is always worth thinking about at this time of year. And just as Leonard Cohen made a point of introducing not only his musicians, but the lighting crew, and sound guys, and guitar technicians, and stage directors, I’m going to make two points at the conclusion of this pre-Christmas column. The first is: Give some thought this season to the generosity of artists and those whose technical skills support their work. They so very often, and with such meagre thanks, give everything they’ve got. And the second point is this: next time Leonard Cohen’s in town, don’t miss him.

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”