CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, CA - November 5, 2012

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
cohenadmirer
Posts: 1026
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:44 pm
Location: wirral, uk

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, CA - November 5, 2012

Postby cohenadmirer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:10 pm

Arlene - thanks for the great videos
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
scocoh
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:55 am

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, CA - November 5, 2012

Postby scocoh » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:02 am

There was no problem with the doors, and the traffic was normal LA. The problem was the LA fan, which as was mentioned above is notorious for being purposely late and leaving early. The enthusiasm level from the crowd seemed very low, and the applause was at many times brief.

Of course, Leonard and UH were magnificent. Leonard was in a funny mood and had the band laughing to each other. You should have seen their faces when he said he'd do DM over-- They weren't sure if he was serious and they looked at Roscoe :lol: He also paused mid-kneel for a woman taking a picture while Javier waited for him and made a face to Leonard like "Well, come on..." and laughing.
sharon.e
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:50 pm
Location: TLV, Israel

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, CA - November 5, 2012

Postby sharon.e » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:11 am

Arlene,
The promenade of people is inconceivably rude!
The vids are sublime, nonetheless :-)
Guests is such an exceptional treat and fitting the occasion - LA is his 2nd home, audience indeed were guests... just awfully rude ones..

--Sharon
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
MaryB
Posts: 3946
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:40 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio USA

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, CA - November 5, 2012

Postby MaryB » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:33 am

Arlene,

It's such a shame that you had to deal with all the unseemly audience behavior. Nevertheless, your videos are a treasure. Thank you for them and your wonderful reports. I am so glad to hear that your son enjoyed the concert!

Affectionate regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
anneeshipley
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: UK

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, CA - November 5, 2012

Postby anneeshipley » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:04 pm

real-alan wrote:
tikied wrote:Am I the only one that thinks cell phone cameras are a huge distraction from the concert experience?
Not just cell phone cameras... I was surrounded by people checking Facebook every few minutes, chatting about how to record the best video... and the girl in the next seat who did not get through a single song without sending or receiving a text (really!)... I had a great seat, at the front of the "loge" area, and all in front of me was a sea of illuminated screens from cellphones and cameras... that and the "need" to go out and get drinks mid-song... Why buy a ticket if you're not going to watch the show? It defeats me.... :cry:
I agree--are some of the people who complain about others behaviour ie taking photos etc not guilty of the same!!! I go to a concert to SEE the concert I dont need reminders of it with pics and videos ....
rnielsen
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:28 am

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, CA - November 5, 2012

Postby rnielsen » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:27 am

Just to reenforce the other reviews the doors did open at seven, very few people took their seats. Later there was an announcement that the concert would start in 10 minutes and then another announcement 5 minutes later. The ushers were overwhelmed by the hundreds of people trying to find their seats during the first two songs.The thoughtlessness and lack of respect by these people for Leonard and all the rest of the audience was so discouraging and annoying. It seemed to suck the energy out of the band for the first few songs and it certainly pissed me off. Of course Leonard handled it perfectly with his apology about starting the show on time. Had good orch. seats but would have liked more volume. One last thought - why is Leonard hassling with all these one night shows ? Why not do a week in San Fransisco, 10 days in New York, etc. We will travel to see him.
User avatar
bridger15
Posts: 2068
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Los Angeles - ex Toronto
Contact:

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, CA - November 5, 2012

Postby bridger15 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:33 am

Image

One thing the AEG owned LA Nokia did that was great - they set up a separate "Will Call" table for the FAN CLUB away from the very busy box office. They only asked for ID, no credit card. I showed them my drivers license.

Celebrity spotting - My son spotted Tim Robbins in the lobby.

One interesting thing happened on stage when LC started to strum his guitar intro to The Guests. He was in the dark for the first 30 sec.
He turned to Roscoe and said, "We need some light". This was quite audible over the sound system. It took another 10 sec before his lighting came on.

cued to start when LC turns to Roscoe
http://youtu.be/VqdFTZzplBY#t=0m30s
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
User avatar
regensburg
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:26 pm

CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, CA - November 5, 2012

Postby regensburg » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:49 am

I agree to the comments about the concert in L.A. I had a couple sitting next to me, all they did was texting, calling and being totally bored, did not have a clue what Leonard was all about. Leonard was upset and I do not blame him. I think this will be his last concert in L.A. Denver was out of this world and so was Leonard. The audience was in sync with him and he had 4 or 5 encores.
User avatar
regensburg
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:26 pm

CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, CA - November 5, 2012

Postby regensburg » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:06 am

I was just watching the Video "heart with no Companion" from the L.A. Concert, Leonard looks so sad when you take a good look at this video.
surfergirl
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:13 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, CA - November 5, 2012

Postby surfergirl » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:26 am

Stop ragging on L.A. people. We're good, we're polite. There were problems with the venue. Different experiences based on different seating arrangements.

Frankly, what really annoys me are people that try to illegally video tape songs with the lcd displays shining in my face and blocking my view, particularly when the artist makes a respectful request not to videotape.

I know we all want to see what we've just experienced, but when people say they they had a lousy time with people doing things other than sitting and listening and watching the show, when they are doing exactly that themselves, I find it a bit hypocritical.

I have a bad case of night blindness, so when someone is sitting in front of me trying to videotape a show and I'm completely blinded and distracted by the LCD screen, I'm sorry, but I personally find that rude -- to me and my personal experience. So when someone steps in front of your camera, they may just be telling you to stop recording and enjoy, and let others enjoy the show without those distractions.
I was cautioned to surrender, this I could not do . . . .
User avatar
sturgess66
Posts: 4085
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, CA - November 5, 2012

Postby sturgess66 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Another video from this show -

Uploaded by sanazucla - Thanks!

Tower of Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMm8eLnfIeU
User avatar
real-alan
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:37 pm
Location: home of the all-Ireland Champions 2012

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, CA - November 5, 2012

Postby real-alan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:11 pm

surfergirl wrote: Frankly, what really annoys me are people that try to illegally video tape songs with the lcd displays shining in my face and blocking my view, particularly when the artist makes a respectful request not to videotape.

I know we all want to see what we've just experienced, but when people say they they had a lousy time with people doing things other than sitting and listening and watching the show, when they are doing exactly that themselves, I find it a bit hypocritical.
agree with that 100 per cent..... in my post I complained about facebookers and texters, but was also annoyed (very) by that sea of illuminated screens - irony is that I wasn't allowed to bring my iPad into the show (presumably so I wouldn't video the show, which I had absolutely no intention of doing anyway) only to find all these home video fanatics seemingly oblivious to the impact their activity was having on others, like me, who just wanted to enjoy the show, rather than record it for posterity - I like to immerse myself in the performance, and don't see how I could do that if I'm recording it.... :?

... incidentally, I had to run all the way back to my car (some distance away) then run back to the theatre, get on the end of a long line to go through security again, and I was still in my seat with 10 minutes to spare.... 8)

oh, and I haven't watched any of these uploaded videos either... ;-)
you may be right, I may be crazy.... but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for...

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..... plenty
cohenadmirer
Posts: 1026
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:44 pm
Location: wirral, uk

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, CA - November 5, 2012

Postby cohenadmirer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:09 pm

real-alan wrote:
surfergirl wrote: Frankly, what really annoys me are people that try to illegally video tape songs with the lcd displays shining in my face and blocking my view, particularly when the artist makes a respectful request not to videotape.

I know we all want to see what we've just experienced, but when people say they they had a lousy time with people doing things other than sitting and listening and watching the show, when they are doing exactly that themselves, I find it a bit hypocritical.
agree with that 100 per cent..... in my post I complained about facebookers and texters, but was also annoyed (very) by that sea of illuminated screens - irony is that I wasn't allowed to bring my iPad into the show (presumably so I wouldn't video the show, which I had absolutely no intention of doing anyway) only to find all these home video fanatics seemingly oblivious to the impact their activity was having on others, like me, who just wanted to enjoy the show, rather than record it for posterity - I like to immerse myself in the performance, and don't see how I could do that if I'm recording it.... :?

... incidentally, I had to run all the way back to my car (some distance away) then run back to the theatre, get on the end of a long line to go through security again, and I was still in my seat with 10 minutes to spare.... 8)

oh, and I haven't watched any of these uploaded videos either... ;-)
As a means of videoing an ipad would certainly be distracting to anyone next to or behind you !
Mobile phones too are bright and distracting
However much more discrete methods are available!
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
cohenadmirer
Posts: 1026
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:44 pm
Location: wirral, uk

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, CA - November 5, 2012

Postby cohenadmirer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:18 pm

rnielsen wrote:Just to reenforce the other reviews the doors did open at seven, very few people took their seats. Later there was an announcement that the concert would start in 10 minutes and then another announcement 5 minutes later. The ushers were overwhelmed by the hundreds of people trying to find their seats during the first two songs.The thoughtlessness and lack of respect by these people for Leonard and all the rest of the audience was so discouraging and annoying. It seemed to suck the energy out of the band for the first few songs and it certainly pissed me off. Of course Leonard handled it perfectly with his apology about starting the show on time. Had good orch. seats but would have liked more volume. One last thought - why is Leonard hassling with all these one night shows ? Why not do a week in San Fransisco, 10 days in New York, etc. We will travel to see him.
I think the ' we ' who would travel (assuming the financial means on top of expensive concert tickets )are relatively few in number compared to the many who will go to a more local concert.
Leonard has often acknowledged the ' geographical and financial inconvenience' some people go to . I guess he wants to spread the 'hassle' a bit .I'd also like to think he has rediscovered some enjoyment of the road , and of the fact he is so lucky to still be able to do it and get a warm response in so many different places
Having said that in 2 weeks i'l be making the longest journey i've personally made to see a concert (though that's not the sold purpose of my trip from England to montreal!).It was also good to meet cohenites who had travelled huge distances at some of the meetups on the European tour. 'Cohenites' as such make a tiny proportion of the audience at any given concert ,though thanks to Jarkko quite a high percentage of people on the front rows. :)
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
User avatar
sturgess66
Posts: 4085
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:50 pm
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Los Angeles, CA - November 5, 2012

Postby sturgess66 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:27 am

Here's some good video - uploaded by az053360 - Thanks!

The Darkness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VKHBM1Cy_4

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests