CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
annmarie

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Post by annmarie »

burningviolin wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRmCOcd ... 1347988872

My video from the back of Who By Fire, shows all the people (including me eh hem) walking around. I now realise how rubbish my camera is, it's about 4 years old, other than this I left the recordings up to the professionals like IrishAl and Somewhat nifty.:-)
Thank you for the video, but it's shocking to watch people wandering around. Reminds me of the fellow sat behind us on Sat night, who was taking drinks orders from his mates at around the same time. Thankfully they moved to "better seats" at the interval or I'd have been forced to do Gwen's "STFU" :lol: :lol:
reubensmum

Post by reubensmum »

We were lucky in that we had great seats on the Friday night and didn't have to put up with too much disturbance. I'd just like to say though how wonderful it all was. When Leonard sang Take this Waltz, and couples danced at the front and up the aisles - just magical - it felt like the whole audience was glowing with warmth - I'll never forget it.
Lovely :)
Nellynolan

Post by Nellynolan »

I was there on Friday, it was wonderful. My son, whose musical tastes are extremely eclectic, said it was probably the best concert he has attended. It was a dream come true for me and will stay in my heart for a very long time.

Re people moving about- my son & girlfriend left their seats (at the end of the row) between songs to get coffee. They both remarked that the relaxed atmosphere was 'lovely, just like a festival'. Luckily there didn't seem to be any drunks around us although someone behind me made several trips to the bar returning with pints for him & his friends each time. My worry was that one of the pints was going to end up over me as he squeezed his was back in.

Nothing could have spoiled it for me though.

Gwen, it was lovely to meet you and thanks again :)
"Here's to the few who forgive what you do, and the fewer who don't even care"
LC
anne alexander

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin Sept 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Post by anne alexander »

Mabeanie1 wrote:Another great show in Dublin tonight - the best of the four IMHO (or maybe it was just the show where I was least bothered by drunks, talkers and screaming banshees ....)

Going Home snuck back in to the setlist and we enjoyed the tour debut of Anyhow, complete with new lyrics (but not the new words Leonard has been singing all week in soundcheck!!) Anyhow followed I'm Your Man and Leonard's delivery of the two songs was very similar. Very tongue in cheek ....

Leonard said that he was aware that many people had attended all 4 shows and thanked us for it. He was also aware that many people had traveled long distances for the shows and thanked them for that. His final thanks went to the people of Dublin for their warmth and generosity. No doubt someone has video footage with his actual words.

@Unspoken Words: you refer to "footage" of the current tour so I can only assume you are judging these shows on the basis of YouTube clips. Please don't (personally, I never watch them). YouTube has its place but it can NEVER substitute for the concert experience and these clips can NEVER give you a true sense of what that experience is like. It's also worth noting that Leonard has had a heavy cold all week - and yet he has still delivered 3 1/2 hours of wonderful music to us every night in freezing conditions.

Best Irish show ever? Who cares!!

Wendy, I was there on Friday 14th, my third concert and to be honest I am enjoying the youtube version better, I am sorry to report. In spite of getting access as fan club member a day early, I didn't manage to get good seats. One fan on this website talked about being far back on the tenth row!! I wish! My seat was first row of tiered seating. The atmosphere was good albeit it not as good as Lisadell for me, but the sound was low and I could barely see what was happening on the stage. Watching the screen is same as television, no point in going to look at a screen. I managed to sneak near the front for a while - and am now able to feel like I have actually seen LC at a concert. So I am really glad that all the videos have been posted and that the quality is so good, and unless there is a foolproof way to gain a seat near the front, I will not be at any future concert, and I say this with great sadness.

Wendy
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

anne alexander wrote: One fan on this website talked about being far back on the tenth row!!
[/quote]

I hope that wasn't from my review of the concerts! If it was I didn't mean it to sound like that, not at all!!! I was delighted with that seat. I will check my review and if it sounding like I was ungrateful I will change it. The ticket allocations in the presales for Dublin in comparison to other concerts on the tour were not very good for some people and while I am of the attitude once I am there I am happy but in presales we expect decent seats. From experience with presales for other countries on the tour I can tell you this was the exception. Saddened to hear that the sound wasn't great where you were as that is unusual for a Cohen concert. I agree regarding the screens. I seldom look at them unless I am in a position where I need to or sometimes for the closeups of Leonard. While I much prefer to witness Leonard live I love the videos as it means we can relive the magic over and over again.

EDIT: Checked my review and I didn't mention the row just position so it must of been someone else.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
kg7

Post by kg7 »

musicmania wrote:While I much prefer to witness Leonard live I love the videos as it means we can relive the magic over and over again.
Indeed, the live experience is magical, however aside from people walking back and forth to the bar etc., it can also be a little frustrating being sat behind someone holding up a camera half the night.

I know people want to preserve the moment and I've enjoyed looking at them myself, but in many ways camera phones have become the affliction of the modern concert experience.

I guess a little discretion with the camera and consideration for those behind is the key!
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

I read in one of the papers that Leonard had a cold. I didn't notice that. If he did, it didn't seem to affect his performance on any of the nights I saw him. Enlighten me please.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

jdhayes wrote:I read in one of the papers that Leonard had a cold. I didn't notice that. If he did, it didn't seem to affect his performance on any of the nights I saw him. Enlighten me please.
Several members of the band had heavy colds, Leonard included. You could see him spraying his throat and blowing his nose etc on stage. I think his voice was a bit deeper and maybe a little more ragged as a result - but I agree, it didn't affect his performance at all. To paraphrase Leonard himself, he gave everything he had, and more.

Wendy
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by sefulemusic - And I think this is Eva? Thanks!

Sept 15

And The Webb Girls Dancing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ZU9lkX4j8
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

sturgess66 wrote:Video uploaded by sefulemusic - And I think this is Eva? Thanks!
Sept 15
And The Webb Girls Dancing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ZU9lkX4j8
Yes, that's my vid :) Not much, really. I uploaded another 10 sec snippet but it happened so suddenly and I was too late so didn't manage to catch more than the last half of it: Let My People Dance :D
http://youtu.be/MwM-fdAIseU

My photos of the last day (15th, soundcheck and show) on Picasa:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1171454776 ... Soundcheck
https://picasaweb.google.com/1171454776 ... sWorldTour

And one more video: not good at all, the road was very noisy, the stage too far and the song is just partial but I posted it anyway. Soundcheck, just the final part of Field Commander Cohen:
http://youtu.be/a8f8Xh0OpTY

Eva
minnie

Post by minnie »

Hydrogal wrote:
Yes, beautifully said. This is THE song that captured my heart - and I am not a youngster! I listened to it over and over and it seemed to bring a sort of peace to my soul. I've wondered many times since then--"Why Marianne?" I was suffering a great loss myself at the time. Now I believe I have the answer. Thanks for that!

Barbara
Thanks for telling me this.
awaythelads

Post by awaythelads »

I managed to take a few decent photos from the front of stage at last Friday's RHK Dublin concert. Another great night, but that is it for me for now.

http://awaythelads.com/cohen-dublin

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Wow, just love that last photo and the rest are fab too!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
minnie

Post by minnie »

Great shots! I love the one of Leonard laughing with hand on heart.
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

awaythelads wrote:I managed to take a few decent photos from the front of stage at last Friday's RHK Dublin concert. Another great night, but that is it for me for now.
I wish I could take photos like you. Awesome pictures, not just technically but you also managed to catch so precious and soulful moments. Thank you for sharing them. *bows*

Eva

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”