CONCERT REPORTS: Ghent, Aug 12, 14, 15, 17 & 18

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
Paul Zagreb

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Ghent, Aug 12, 14, 15, 17 & 18

Post by Paul Zagreb »

My experience of most concerts in Europe (it is different in the UK) is that the general practice is for encores to be the time when everyone stands and there is a general run towards the stage. Usually, if it happens before this, security try to stop people unless the flood is unstoppable. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. After all, the reason Leonard does up to 8 songs in three or four separate encores is because the audience demands them. Hard to really clamour for that when sitting politely in one's seat! Whenever I have been in the first few rows, I decide whether to go with the flow or just remain in my seat and listen to the sound! The only people with a chance to get to the front are those who were seated a bit further back but paid the same price as those sitting at the front anyway - lets cal it equality! :D
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
ScottM

Post by ScottM »

I agree that it is acceptable for those seated further back to come to the front during the encores. Although most of us seasoned concert goers realise that the concert usually still has some way to go at the start of the encores. It will usually mean some time on your feet. My wife and I were lucky enough to have front row seats at a concert in Madrid in 2009 and several hundred people came to the front for the encores. It did not spoil our experience. We have also been near the front at several other shows (thanks to the forum pre-sales). We felt lucky to have been so close for the vast majority of the show and did not really object to the enthusiasm of those who had been seated further back. In fact I think it added to our own enjoyment. All being part of the climax of a great event. I do, however, have sympathy for those who maybe are not able to stay on their feet for a prolonged period, so this is something I would encourage others to give some consideration to, and ask people to remain in their allocated seats until, at least, the first encores. I have never felt the need to run to the front myself, during a concert, but I can understand the euphoria that compels some concert goers to want to get closer to their idol. Hopefully though everyone will use their common sense and remember its Leonard Cohen up there, not the Bay City Rollers (and not many of us are teenagers any more)!
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Franks wrote:
tomsakic wrote:That happens on almost every Cohen show - the encores are standing, with people packed in front of the stage ion the fence. I don't see anything wrong about it and LC tolerates it.
I agree there nothing wrong with it if it happens during the last 2 or 3 songs of the show but if it happens with still 25% of the show to go (like in Gent) then I agree with Mabeanie1.
Try to look at it from the point of view of those people who paid a lot of money for front rows seats. May be you will then see why people think it is unfair. As Mabeanie1 wrote "It was a long time to stand and some people struggle to stand for so long".
Well I always had first rows and I didn't mind - I was on the fence as well:)

And yes, my back hurts so I was having problems with Leonard's long encores, wishing so badly on almost every show's encore that I could sit down...:P

What I do mind is people chatting all the time like they did during Gent shows. Or people being late 20 mins for the show, like in Italy.
Muscovite

Post by Muscovite »

I was there on the 18th and it was hot. Four hours with nobody leaving early. I arrived early and was relieved to see Sharon Robinson's microphone. The last time I saw the band was in Moscow and SR was ill. I hadn't checked the LC Files before travelling and was surprised by the line-up changes. I can't decide which line-up I prefer. I like the violin. I like the instruments of wind. I did like hearing the Jew's Harp on Democracy. The changes made me think of what else might be done to vary the way the songs are performed. Perhaps remove the Hammond organ and restore the instruments of wind? Maybe rest the virtuoso Javier Mas and allow our Moldovan violinist centre stage? An intro to Who By Fire on violin would be good. Perhaps remove the entire band and have LC and SR duet softly all night? Or remove everyone but the singers and back them up with a full orchestra? And finallly, why not let LC sit in the front row while his place is taken by Jarvis Cocker for a few evenings?
holydove

Post by holydove »

SeventhSon wrote:I listened to today's soundcheck and was quite impressed by the many (great) songs that were played. For those who are interested in these songs, here they are:

1. Tower of Song (First two choruses and Leonard on his own)
2. Night comes on (Leonard)
3. Night comes on (Leonard - Immediately after finishing the song, he started it again)
4. Avalanche (Leonard)
5. Dance Me To The End Of Love (Leonard and band)
6. Going Home (Leonard and band, only first chorus)
7. The Future (Leonard and band. With the "give me crack and anal sex" line instead of "careless sex")
8. Anyhow (Leonard and band)
9. Field Commander Cohen (Leonard and band)
10. Coming Back To You (Beginning)
11. It it be your will (Beginning)
SeventhSon, thank you for this! It's great to see that Anyhow was in the soundcheck - means we can look forward to a live version, which is quite exciting!

I agree with Tom & ScottM (about people rushing to the front for the encores) - I think it's wonderful that so many people feel that passion & compulsion to get as close to Leonard as they can - it's an expression of love - & if I happen to have been fortunate enough to have a front row seat for any given concert, I am more than happy to let others, who were further back, experience that amazing feeling of physical proximity to Leonard, even if it means my view may be somewhat blocked for a while. I have felt that compulsion many times myself, & have been very grateful for the loose security, esp. the times when my seat was way out in the sticks. . . & my guess is that Leonard not only tolerates it but actually likes it, because he understands the longing & where it comes from. And isn't it wonderful for Leonard to be receiving all that love, in every possible way, shape & form - there can never be too much of that. . .
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

If you stand in front of me and block my view, I will jab you with my cane.
I have done it before and I will do it again.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
holydove

Post by holydove »

bridger15 wrote:If you stand in front of me and block my view, I will jab you with my cane.

---Arlene
Good strategy, Arlene! Well, the cane & its fearful wrath. . . that's a whole different story, & I will surely step aside for that.
Nessus Jr

Post by Nessus Jr »

Guess I was the only one who actually moved back from my row 15 seat to the back of the Golden Circle, but that had to do with the two women behind me who couldn't shut up.

cheers,
Marco
2008 Amsterdam
2012 Ghent
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

bridger15 wrote:If you stand in front of me and block my view, I will jab you with my cane.

---Arlene
:lol: We need to get you a high seat for the encores so you can see over our heads Arlene. I love rushing to the stage for the encores and especially So Long Marianne. Before Ghent the only time I could get that close was for the encores in Katowice where the barrier was at the stage so to be that close to Leonard while he performed was AMAZING! In Ghent the stage was a good distance from us but I still loved it. I do feel for those who can't do it though.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

tomsakic wrote:That happens on almost every Cohen show - the encores are standing, with people packed in front of the stage ion the fence. I don't see anything wrong about it and LC tolerates it.

Personally i'm as sure as i can be that LC not only tolerates the increased audience closeness , energy and participation in the post ' take this waltz encores' but actually loves it .

Skip to 3mins 10 in the video of marianne from the first night below - leonard is in some sort of exctacy (??) and totally encouraging the crowd before him .At least it seems that way to me .

The other general switch in acceptable audience behaviour at this time of the concert is much more singing along - quite loudly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYqRZNNm ... ature=plcp
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

musicmania wrote: :lol: We need to get you a high seat for the encores so you can see over our heads Arlene.
Gwen, I like your suggestion. How about a seat next to the cameramen? :D
Often LC's outro words are very moving and I want to capture them on video.

Remember the crazy lady in Las Vegas who ran on the stage?
Later, when she was standing in the aisle blocking my view, I jabbed her with my cane and told her to move back. She did. :D
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

bridger15 wrote:
musicmania wrote: :lol: We need to get you a high seat for the encores so you can see over our heads Arlene.
Gwen, I like your suggestion. How about a seat next to the cameramen? :D
Often LC's outro words are very moving and I want to capture them on video.

Remember the crazy lady in Las Vegas who ran on the stage?
Later, when she was standing in the aisle blocking my view, I jabbed her with my cane and told her to move back. She did. :D
---Arlene
Yes Arlene I think a seat next to the cameramen is a must for you as surely they know the best views for recording ;-)

Oh I remember that woman, infamous now she is but very glad to hear you got her with the cane. Hope it was a hard jab!! If she had done that in Ireland she would have been thrown out so she couldn't try again!!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Caren

Post by Caren »

We have returned from Ghent only late last night and there is nothing left to be said that hasn't been said in this thread already. So I will keep this short.

I was blown away by the quality and the energy of all five performances. Utterly brilliant.

And I feel blessed to be able to go to Amsterdam tomorrow. See you there friends.

It was great to meet old and new friends during the course of last week. A special thanks to Maarten for making the Ghent week a most memorable one.

Best! Caren
1990s Berlin 2008:Amsterdam-Berlin-Hamburg-London RAH 2009:Berlin-Barcelona 2010:Odense-Berlin-Gent x3 -Wiesbaden-Marseille-Hannover-Las Vegas x2 2012:Gent x5 -Amsterdam x2 -Berlin-London-Verona-Toulon-Paris x2 -Barcelona 2013:Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
Päivi from Finland

Post by Päivi from Finland »

Quite speechless of the concert!!

We spent nice days in Ghent 16-19th Aug. The first evening in Ghent was wonderful, lovely to meet the band and Leonard himself! In 17th and 18th Aug we were in concert that made great impression for us. Thanks for Maarten of all arrengements!! Huge thanks for Leonard still singing f.ex. Miracle!!!

Here are few pictures during our stay in Ghent!
Attachments
cohen3.jpg
cohen2.jpg
cohen1.jpg
Päivi from Finland

1993: Helsinki
2008: Copenhagen, Helsinki
2009: Budapest, Barcelona
2010:Helsinki, Stuttgart
2012:Ghent 17th and 18th Aug, Helsinki, Bucharest
2013:Brussels, Berlin, Pula, Stockholm, Oslo, Amsterdam
Päivi from Finland