***POST YOUR TATTOO'S HERE***

This section is for any non-Cohen topics (except political discussions!)

Moderators: MarieM, Maarten, pekka, Henning, Andrew (Darby), dick, tomsakic, Wybe, jarkko

Re: ***POST YOUR TATTOO'S HERE***

Postby abby on Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:39 pm

anthem, right arm:
Attachments
tattoo II.jpg
tattoo II.jpg (11.44 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
tattoo I.jpg
tattoo I.jpg (8.23 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
When you wake up in the morning & out of nowhere comes the sadness of alienation & loneliness, could you use that as a golden opportunity? Rather than persecuting yourself or feeling that something terribly wrong is happening, right there in the moment of sadness & longing could you relax & touch the limitless space of the human heart? -Pema Chodron
abby

Postby lizzytysh on Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:39 am

Abby! Is that your tattoo?? the writing is beautiful! is one part on the upper arm and the rest on the lower?
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Postby lennycohenfan on Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:01 am

Absolutely love those tats!
St Louis 2009, Hydra Meet Up 2011, Memphis 2013
lennycohenfan

Postby abby on Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:21 am

lizzytysh wrote:Abby! Is that your tattoo?? the writing is beautiful! is one part on the upper arm and the rest on the lower?

You pictured it perfectly, Lizzy : ) I had it done last May.
When you wake up in the morning & out of nowhere comes the sadness of alienation & loneliness, could you use that as a golden opportunity? Rather than persecuting yourself or feeling that something terribly wrong is happening, right there in the moment of sadness & longing could you relax & touch the limitless space of the human heart? -Pema Chodron
abby

Postby lizzytysh on Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:59 am

LAST May or this May?? I would have loved to have seen it in Vegas!
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Postby Cate on Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:57 pm

such a nice verse and so pretty Abby.
The script is very elegant.
“Never underestimate how much assistance, how much satisfaction, how much comfort, how much soul and transcendence there might be in a well-made taco and a cold bottle of beer.”
― Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume
Cate

Postby Geoffrey on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:54 pm

Tattoos are not an artform of which I approve, but I am getting used to them. It is like when a jagged piece of tooth breaks from a molar, the tongue becomes sore from involuntarily searching out the new cavity. After about three days one's tongue becomes familiar with the broken enamel in its territory, ceases its perpetual investigation and the soreness disappears. But I do not like them. Indeed I like not even the word 'tattoo'. Too jagged as it hits one's inner drum. Cannot be compared with 'primrose' or 'voluptious'; lovely words that feel good as they form in the mouth, look good as they take shape on the page. "There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in" is all right when spoken, but when written lays itself open to scrutiny. A lack of consistency becomes glaringly apparent. The second line opens with what writers call a 'contraction' (that's = that is) yet the first line does not. The reason has nothing to do with formal versus informal, the apostrophe is used in order to maintain syntax. Nothing grammatically incorrect about it, so please do not misunderstand. One can kiss a stranger without standing underneath mistletoe, it is just that certain standards are expected.
Geoffrey

Postby brightnow on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:46 pm

Geoffrey wrote:Tattoos are not an artform of which I approve, but I am getting used to them. It is like when a jagged piece of tooth breaks from a molar, the tongue becomes sore from involuntarily searching out the new cavity. After about three days one's tongue becomes familiar with the broken enamel in its territory, ceases its perpetual investigation and the soreness disappears. But I do not like them. Indeed I like not even the word 'tattoo'. Too jagged as it hits one's inner drum. Cannot be compared with 'primrose' or 'voluptious'; lovely words that feel good as they form in the mouth, look good as they take shape on the page. "There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in" is all right when spoken, but when written lays itself open to scrutiny. A lack of consistency becomes glaringly apparent. The second line opens with what writers call a 'contraction' (that's = that is) yet the first line does not. The reason has nothing to do with formal versus informal, the apostrophe is used in order to maintain syntax. Nothing grammatically incorrect about it, so please do not misunderstand. One can kiss a stranger without standing underneath mistletoe, it is just that certain standards are expected.

Oh dear Geoffrey, I am perplexed as to why you have chosen to rip apart one of the most dazzling structures in contemporary poetry. The "inconsistent" contraction is simply a servant to the demanding mistress known as "meter", and the two lines are filled with wonders; you might notice how the word EVERYTHING shines in its nobility, being a three-syllable word among a herd of one-syllable sheep, and that is just one example.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
brightnow

Postby Cate on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:59 am

only a guess, but I suspect that it’s because he is fond of Abby and making Geoffrey like conversation … which is nice to see.

Myself I like the word tattoo because it sounds like tatoonie from the first star wars and is fun to say. Voluptuous is a great word, as is luscious – love the delightfully round vowel sounds mixed the sh/s sounds that feel like a breeze or an exhale.

Regardless of words though, as somebody who likes tatoo's/ body art, I think Abby’s are quite good (I’m partial to the cherry blossom).
“Never underestimate how much assistance, how much satisfaction, how much comfort, how much soul and transcendence there might be in a well-made taco and a cold bottle of beer.”
― Tom Robbins, Jitterbug Perfume
Cate

Postby Geoffrey on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:14 am

Brightnow wrote:
>Oh dear Geoffrey, I am perplexed as to why you have chosen to rip apart one of the most dazzling structures in contemporary poetry. The "inconsistent" contraction is simply a servant to the demanding mistress known as "meter", and the two lines are filled with wonders; you might notice how the word EVERYTHING shines in its nobility, being a three-syllable word among a herd of one-syllable sheep, and that is just one example.

Well, strictly speaking the word 'everything' actually has four syllables (ev-er-y-thing), though lazy speech reduces the number to three (ev-ry-thing). I believe Leonard uses the latter not out of laziness, but because he wishes to appeal to the lower classes, to society's uneducated, ineloquent riff-raff. The upper classes purchase virtually no CDs, and certainly have very little interest in pop or rock. They much prefer to spend money on tickets at music halls, at opera houses - or ballet. Middle class people do buy an occasional CD, though mostly of classical music, such as Schubert or Brahms. If Leonard is to sell his product, he has to shrewdly descend to the level of the tattooed CD-buying public and pretend to be one of them - as he did with "Ain't no cure for love".
------------------------------------
Cate wrote:
>Only a guess, but I suspect that it's because he is fond of Abby and making Geoffrey-like conversation … which is nice to see.
>
>Myself I like the word tattoo because it sounds like tatoonie from the first star wars and is fun to say. Voluptuous is a great word, as is luscious - love the delightfully round vowel sounds mixed the sh/s sounds that feel like a breeze or an exhale.
>
>Regardless of words though, as somebody who likes tatoos/body art, I think Abby's are quite good (I'm partial to the cherry blossom).

The word 'tattoo' is not amongst the nicest in the English language. Far too staccato. Does not flow softly over the lips like a lover's gentle whisper as he engages in his art of seduction. His reassuring breath in her ear as she climbs to the height of her pleasure carries only the warmest and most beautiful of words, sounds that will encourage her to surrender to the luscious feelings growing deep within her body, tilt her over the edge into uncontrollable spasms of delight. Were he to utter the word 'tattoo' at the height of her abandonment it would be like dropping an ice-cube between her cleavage.
Geoffrey

Postby abby on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:53 am

It was May of this year, so after Las Vegas-
abby

Postby lizzytysh on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 am

Okay, well... next time I see you, Abby, I'll see it.
Looking forward to it.
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Postby Geoffrey on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:59 pm

lizzytysh wrote:Okay, well... next time I see you, Abby, I'll see it.
Looking forward to it.

well, i'm never going to have a tattoo, not ever - and leonard isn't either. we're just not doing it.
Geoffrey

Postby abby on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Geoffrey wrote:
lizzytysh wrote:Okay, well... next time I see you, Abby, I'll see it.
Looking forward to it.

well, i'm never going to have a tattoo, not ever - and leonard isn't either. we're just not doing it.

Leonard seems like the kind of guy who might like to be buried with his family, and tattoos would keep him from that, yes? Me, I've had a vault reserved for my ashes since I was a teenager, right alongside my mom's and my my maternal grandparents', but it's my mother's family, and they're not Jews, and the cemetery that houses their ashes is secular. I'm a half Jew from my dad's side. I mostly want to sell the space and have my ashes scattered somewhere, in some body of water.

There is a little piece of me, though, that feels a pull to my vault, to keeping my ashes with my family's. It's probably not far from the little part that wishes I had an unmodified body, no holes in my earlobes, no tattoos, no jewelry, no makeup, but scars don't fall along these lines, no way. I gave myself my first tattoo when I was 13 or 14, stick and poke, prison style. The first tattoo I had done professionally, I was 18, was the Hallelujah on my back- it was supposed to be something sad or foreboding for a lover to see, but it never really worked that way. It was supposed to say, look at me, I'm too far gone.

I've always been a little too far gone, just wired that way.

That little wish for the plainest body disappears, though, when I see beautiful tattoos on women who also seem a little too far gone. I like being a part of that club : ) I'm not much for tattoos on men, though- they're men, you're a man, Geoffrey. Women with tattoos have an edge, an antidote to the image of woman as nurturer. It's like men with some outward sign of tenderness- they evoke similar feelings in me- men showing themselves tenderer than tough, maybe with a baby wrapped against their bodies. Defying gender roles, I guess.

xxoo
abby

Postby lazariuk on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:41 pm

Well done Abby.
Everything being said to you is true; Imagine what it is true of.
lazariuk

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else