Old Ideas - the new album - January 31, 2012

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
SuzanneT

Re: OLD IDEAS - THE NEW ALBUM

Post by SuzanneT »

Thanks Jarkko for this news!

This is excellent news 8) ... but the message it would be amazing if it was unclear whether Leonard tour supporting the album's release :razz:
What you have now is what you were, and what you will is what you do now...Buddha
Above the graves of those painful sheds tears for the unspoken words and deeds missed...Elizabeth Harriet Beecher Stowe
Klaus@Kokanee

Post by Klaus@Kokanee »

What wonderful news, Jarkko. Ten new songs!

In the words of Frederico Garcia Lorca's "New Songs":

"The afternoon says: 'I thirst for a shadow!'
The moon says: "I thirst for bright stars!'
The crystal fountain asks for lips,
and the wind for sighs.

I thirst for fragrance and laughs,
I thirst for new songs
free of moons or lilies,
and free of withered amours.

A song of tomorrow that will agitate
the tranquil waters
of the future. And will fill with hope
its ripples and its slime.

A resplendent and tempered song,
rich with thought,
pure of regrets or anguish,
and pure of fanciful dreams.

Song without lyrical flesh
filling silence with laughs
(a flight of blinded pigeons
thrown against the unknown).

A song reaching the spirit of things,
and the spirit of the winds,
a song finally resting in the joy
of the eternal heart."

Leonard's songs have quenched the thirst.
No doubt ten new songs of old ideas, will quench the thirst again.

Until Spring then. I'll savour a most delicious thirst.
susanne30072009

Post by susanne30072009 »

jarkko wrote:Leonard will be spoiling us with his new album! After so many years, Jennifer Warnes was back
in the studio with Leonard, and she is singing on one of the tracks.
Anjani and Sharon both have significant roles in many of those ten new songs. What a team!
Wow, this are really great news! This Team, this great Musicians all together!
I am sure, they have recorded more then 10 Songs... it will be great to hear them all.
And a Tour would be THE Highlight! To go at a Leonard - Concert and hear them all together, with all the new (and the well known) Songs... a Dream would come true!
Please let us hear the new Songs live on Stage...I am sure: the People would love it! And you, Mr. Cohen?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Now that Leonard has re-established himself in the Olde World [those of us who already knew him] and established himself in the New World [those who didn't] and he remains as beloved as ever, only on a far larger scale, he can circle back and include those who came along with him to help gain the position of high esteem that he's always held and has ever since. So, having news of Julie and Perla joining in with this venture would be the best possible news to round it out. I have to wonder who all the musicians might be. For now, Jennifer, Anjani, and Sharon get a big AHHHhhhhhhhhhh.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
rike

Post by rike »

Your comments are interesting as always, but I like your opening best:

Now that Leonard has re-established himself in the Olde World [those of us who already knew him] and established himself in the New World [those who didn't] and he remains as beloved as ever, only on a far larger scale...
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
Giulia

Post by Giulia »

jarkko wrote:Leonard confirms that his new studio album is finished.
The title will be "Old Ideas". All songs are brand new except
"Darkness", the only song from the recent concert tour.
The album will be released in Spring 2012, but the
exact date has not yet been fixed.
There are no decisions about a new tour.
Jarkko
Its to long to wait for an new album :oops:
I hope its great, no, i KNOW it will be great, LC is great ty for the info.
I have to be patient, hard to do ;-)
with love Giulia
Leonard 77, 21 of september 78, and still the greatest of all times

In my secret live.
rigray

Post by rigray »

It will be a long, cold Winter waiting for this release, but looking forward to Spring and all the good things it may bring! :!:
Dublin May 1976 /Dublin Dec 1979 / Dublin Jun 1983 / Dublin Mar 1985 / Dublin Jun 1988 / Dublin Jun 2008 / Dublin Jul 2009 / Sligo Jul 2010 / Dublin Sept 2012 / Dublin Sept 2013
Einat

Post by Einat »

wow, excellent news indeed, and I share the hope there will be a tour !
Excuse my perhaps naive question but I wonder: if the album is already done, why will it only be released in the spring?
(If there's a problem with the album's cover, I hereby volunteer to sketch something :-)
alb123

Post by alb123 »

I'm as happy as the rest of you, of course, who could be a fan of Leonard Cohen and not be thrilled at the news of a new album? I'm going to be honest and say that I'm glad "Born in Chains" won't be on this album. That song didn't do much for me. I apologize to the many here who do enjoy that song. "Feels So Good" not being included is a bit of a disappointment, however, at least we have several high quality bootlegs of both songs. To be perfectly honest, I'm glad the new album is going to be 90% brand new material. While I thoroughly enjoy "The Darkness", I've listened to the song a hundred times already. Entirely new material is something to REALLY get excited about. Think about it...If Leonard released an album with 10 songs and "The Darkness", "Feels So Good", "Born in Chains" and "Lullaby" were on that album, we'd only be getting 6 NEW songs... Anyway, this is just one man's opinion...

ALB
Waterbury, CT - May 14, 2009
Las Vegas, NV - Dec 11, 2010 (Final Show of Leonard's 3 year World Tour) INCREDIBLE!
Boston, MA - Dec 15, 2012 (Best L.C. concert I've been to!)
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

alb123 wrote:Entirely new material is something to REALLY get excited about. Think about it...If Leonard released an album with 10 songs and "The Darkness", "Feels So Good", "Born in Chains" and "Lullaby" were on that album, we'd only be getting 6 NEW songs... Anyway, this is just one man's opinion...
This is at least two men's opinion, Alb. Well said.
RainDog1980

Post by RainDog1980 »

alb123 wrote:I'm as happy as the rest of you, of course, who could be a fan of Leonard Cohen and not be thrilled at the news of a new album? I'm going to be honest and say that I'm glad "Born in Chains" won't be on this album. That song didn't do much for me. I apologize to the many here who do enjoy that song. "Feels So Good" not being included is a bit of a disappointment, however, at least we have several high quality bootlegs of both songs. To be perfectly honest, I'm glad the new album is going to be 90% brand new material. While I thoroughly enjoy "The Darkness", I've listened to the song a hundred times already. Entirely new material is something to REALLY get excited about. Think about it...If Leonard released an album with 10 songs and "The Darkness", "Feels So Good", "Born in Chains" and "Lullaby" were on that album, we'd only be getting 6 NEW songs... Anyway, this is just one man's opinion...

ALB
I can definitely see where you're coming from, but for someone like myself, I don't really do bootlegs or a lot of music downloading. I heard a few of them on YouTube, loved "Feels So Good".

BUT... if they're slated for a later release, I'm happy. I'm happy either way. New LC is new LC, whether I've heard it live or not!
basecamp

Post by basecamp »

Today Rob Hallett posted this on FB:
"heard the new Leonard Cohen album yesterday
masterpiece!" and it will be available on "january 31st"
Can't wait!
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Really EARLY spring if this is correct! Thanks for the info Hans!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

So, the release date has leaked. I have Leonard's permission to confirm that "Old Ideas" will be released on January 31.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Fabulous news! Not an early spring release at all but a winter release and a slightly belated birthday present for me.

Wendy

Return to “OLD IDEAS”