Reviews from Barcelona

Information on other get-togethers before the next big Event
jorcx

Reviews from Barcelona

Post by jorcx »

Just a brief review from the Barcelona Birthday Party:

Thank you very much everybody who joined in, it was really a wonderful time! A considerable number of people showed up (about 70?), some of them who had known of the event thanks to this Forum and we had people all the way from Alicante (Spain), Ireland and Israel (!!). This was the complete set. Ciscu, a very young musician, started the evening with "Hallellujah" (English version). Then, I played the following Catalan covers:

- Suzanne
- First we take Manhattan
- Waiting for the miracle
- One of us cannot be wrong
- Everybody knows

In the intermission, Antonio read us some nice poems translated into Spanish (Alberto Manzano translation), and then more songs:

- Sisters of Mercy
- Famous blue raincoat
- So long, Marianne
- Chelsea Hotel
- Take this waltz
- Bird on the wire

And finally, the great singer Jordi Batiste gave us another rendition (Jeff Buckley style) of "Hallellujah", in his Catalan translation. That should have been the final number, but there was another surprise guest as a guy from Israel whose surname was indeed Cohen sung us a beautiful English version of "Lady midnight".

I believe Leonard would have been very proud of seeing this very special congregation. Thanks again everybody, all the best wishes!
Jordi
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm so happy for all of you, jorcx 8) . It really sounds like you had a wonderful time :D . I hope to be able to listen to what you've made available for listening. I'd really like to hear you.

~ Lizzy
dar

Post by dar »

Glad to hear you had a great turn out for your Barcelona birthday party Jordi. Good thing you didn't decide having the bash in the kitchen. About 70 people? Wow!
simonelimone

Post by simonelimone »

Dear Jordi, dear Toni

It was a wonderful birthday-party, your Catelan interpretation of Cohen songs, although I might not really understand all 8) , was just GREAT!!

See you on Hydra 2005 latest, :lol: , for one or more ouzos :wink:

Thank you - Simon
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Hi Simon!

More than 70!! More people than years. :lol:

Cheers Leonard! Young people cohenites... Uri, Elisabet, Marta, Gisela, Lluis and Ciscu. Elisabet and Gisela, my daughters.

Ciscu, "And every breath we drew was Hallelujah." He did his personal and very interesting interpretation.

Jorcx in action. Wonderful concert, whom has heard Cohen without understanding the lyrics, yesterday realized his magnitude.

Antonio, (Tonyo) reciting. Who has said Cohen is sad? A selection of short poems and with his typical humor. :lol: Some of The Energy of Slaves.

The second part and definitive of Jorcx.

Jordi Batiste, slow, deep Hallelujah.

The surprise, a guest who came we do not know wherefrom, he gave us a powerful Lady Midnight. Thank you "Cohen" wherever you are. Regards to your family. :lol:

These are the artists Ciscu Muntaner, Jorcx, Jordi Batiste, "Cohen" and Antonio Vela.

4 joineted members thanks to Leonard Cohen Files: simonelimone, jorcx, foryoursmile and tonyo. 8)

Well, a special memories for the great Simon, the Antonio’s brother a Cohen’s expert... The presence Jorcx’s friends: Batiste and Ia Clua two fundamental singers and Roger Mas, one of the most important young musicians of the Catalan music.

Jorxc remembered the persons who have showed interest and could not have come. Of Latin America: Chile, Mexico and Argentina, and specially for Toti Soler our admired singer who did the first and historical version in Catalan of Suzanne in 1970 and opening our interest for Cohen.

But, undoubtedly, yesterday the most important is the Jordi's work. The quality and respect in the adaptations and his magnificent interpretation. The stage was full only with his voice and guitar.

Thank you Jordi, a great concert and unforgettable time. In the next, you know where I am. :wink:

Edited by change of photos' housing.
Last edited by ForYourSmile on Thu May 01, 2014 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

INCREDIBLE photos :D !!!

Bring that camera, and yourself, to both Hydra and Berlin! I say that your surprize guest even has a resemblance to our younger Leonard. He brings to mind the photo of Leonard standing, wearing a white t-shirt and torn-off jean-shorts. Did he learn of your celebration through here?

It's really clear what a great time all of you had, and how you enjoyed each other's company. I hope your daughters come with you to the upcoming gatherings.

~ Lizzy
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Oh yes, I would be exited with coming, specially to Hydra, Simon told me the wonderful thing that was :lol: .

We have never been in Greece. I have to convince my wife. Yesterday she amused very much and she has more interest as Cohen now... :wink:
simonelimone

Post by simonelimone »

Dear Toni "foryoursmile"

Great pictures, thanks so much for everything!

I really hope to see you and all the folks very soon again!

We all must meet mythical Lizzy, isnt' it??!! :lol:

Hasta luego en Barca or at the latest on Hydra 2005. :wink:

Love - simon
jorcx

Post by jorcx »

Thanks Toni, the pictures are a very nice record to keep!

I would really love to go to Hydra some day, and we also put out the idea of Granada Event, how about it? The homeland of Federico Garcia Lorca would certainly be a good justification for such an occasion... Thanks for the comments about my covers, I believe now that this long and lonely summer has had the best resolution.

See you very soon,
Jordi
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: Yes, Simon, mythical from your eyes, as you tried so hard to recall me from the Hydra Event......and were so lovely in your apologetic regret at not being able :wink: . It seems I just wouldn't materialize. Ironic, now, with your comment, that when I first joined the world of Internet and e-mail, almost three years ago, I listed my first and last name as Elisa Myth :lol: .

~ Lizzy
[Still looking forward to seeing Hydra for the first time ever.]
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Dear Jorxc - now in house sounds constant your music, the CD that gave me has been kidnapped :cry: . Gisela tries to follow you with the guitar and says to me that it’s very difficult. Cohen also is fashionable in house and between their friends.

Dear Simon - Mythical? Porbably :oops: . I think that you refer to our talk about Hydra, you were telling me the wonderful event, the charming people, you remembered Lorca an accessible person and not conceited - we speak about Leonard's photo trying to hypnotize two children: Adam and Lorca in Hydra - a nice and kind Jarkko. Just at this time I asked: "Have you seen her, have you been near her?" "No - you answered - Lizzy wasn't there" Surely it is fault of my beer, but it seemed to me to see sadness in your eyes, just in this moment, them you laughed. :?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Well, I'm confused :? ! I'm not even drinking! However, from the way I read that account, it seems clear that your question had to do with Lorca :D , which makes a lot more sense than having to do with me :shock: ! Unless we can credit Simon's sense of humour for having made that conceptual leap to begin with :lol: ~ not at all unlikely, as I think about it. Now for that feigned look of sadness :wink: , or your beer-induced perception of it :lol: . Now, as I reread your post, the joking seems clear :wink: . Ahhhh. I can rest now :D .
simonelimone

Post by simonelimone »

Dear all!
Last edited by simonelimone on Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonelimone

Post by simonelimone »

Dear all!

Under http://ch.msnusers.com/cohenbirthdayinbarcelone/ you can find some other pics from the event, some two more from our artists jorck, and one from antonio and the mythical (once again) guest "cohen" (it's a common name in israel, where he comes from).

I'm very pleased about the idea of going to Granada once, jordi, following the tracks of federico garcia llorca. Furthermore for me it's even nearer than Barcelona, and I know a very nice girl having a tapas bar there :wink:

llizzy, I guess you mean my dear friend tomkri who didn't remember you on hydra although you weren't there ... :P (too many beers or rather too many posts to remember??? :roll: )

toni, it would be a great thing if we could make a bunch of lonesome heroes (or beautiful losers) going from spain alll together to hydra in june next year (did i mention mythical lizzy will be there this time?) :wink: .

Meanwhile you are all welcome here in alicante, ciudad de luz, turron y COHEN 8).

HASTA LUEGO CHICOS - SIMON
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Tomkri!?! So, that wasn't you??? I thought his name was Simon! By what stretch did I appear in your conversation then :lol: ? I thought I had at least found a thread! Perhaps, it's really a different Lizzy :wink: !

Wasn't it you who said something to the effect of, "I'm sorry, Lizzy, I don't remember you....." :?

~ Mythical Lizzy

Return to “Other gatherings”