Judy Collins U.K. Tour in June

This section is for all other music-related topics
John Etherington

Judy Collins U.K. Tour in June

Post by John Etherington »

musicmania

Re: Judy Collins U.K. Tour in June

Post by musicmania »

Will go to the Dublin date myself. Have a busy schedule in June but want to see Judy live.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
John Etherington

I see that there are still plenty of good seats for Judy Collin's concert at the Leicester Square Theatre tonight (Sunday 12th June): http://leicestersquaretheatre.ticketsol ... 054/events

Judy is better than ever live...strongly recommended!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I managed to get to the Birmingham show last week - the second time I've seen Judy live. She was her usual smiling, chatty self as she made her way through a long list of JC classics along with one or two surprises (to me at least), most notably Jacques Brel/ Mort Shuman's Sons Of which I had previously only heard performed by Brel and Scott Walker. However, I didn't think Judy was on top form voice-wise. There were quite a few bum notes and out of tune moments which made me cringe. She seemed fit and well otherwise so I did find myself wondering whether, at the age of 72, it was time for her to quit touring while she's still ahead. I am very glad that I have seen her perform live but I don't think I will go again. I would rather remember her work as it was on those classic albums of the 60s and 70s which saw me through secondary school and university.

As an aside, and rather sadly, the Town Hall was only maybe half full for the show.

Wendy
John Etherington

Sorry to hear that, Wendy... I've seen Judy three times in the last couple of years, and she was superb every time. Most notable was her performance at The Jazz Cafe early last year when she said she had a bad cold but sang flawlessly until near the end. Suddenly she started coughing during one song, but after downing in one a bottle of something from the bar , she persevered as if nothing had happened! I sent her a message via the internet requesting "Priests" tonight, but I'd be surpised if we get it. That aside, "Sons of" would be the next best thing.

All good wishes, John E
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

musicmania wrote:Will go to the Dublin date myself.
Hi musicmania. Wonder did you get to Judy Collins in the NCH, and if so what did you think of it?
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Hi Ann, yeah I did and she was great. Had meant to write about it here but have been crazy busy the last couple of weeks. Her voice was amazing and I love the stories she told between songs and she looked fab with flowing silver hair and a very enviable slim figure. She spoke about learning songs from Ireland at an early age and of course a little bit about Leonard. A lot of songs she only performed snippets and Suzanne was one of them but it was beautiful. She ended on a gorgeous rendition of The Beatles In My Life. Staging was simple with just herself on guitar and some guy whose name I have forgot on grand piano. She herself also played a couple of songs on the piano.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Glad to hear that Judy is looking and sounding well, as she did last year. I heard her on radio with John Murray that morning, in good voice - imagine doing that on the day of a concert! Sounds as if the concert was similar to last year's. Like you I enjoyed her chat - very entertaining. I preferred her own piano playing to that of her "musical director" and the support act didn't do much for me. Piano accompaniment is no substitute for a band and of course I missed the heady excitement of Leonard's concerts, especially as the NCH wasn't full and the audience was quite subdued. He has us spoiled.... :(
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

TipperaryAnn wrote: He has us spoiled.... :(
He does indeed ;-)

Return to “Other music”