ATTENTION! TIMETABLES FOR HYDRA-PIREUS NOW AVAILABLE

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
hydriot

Sidetrips to Spetses

Post by hydriot »

lennycohenfan wrote: Dem - Thanks for the recommendation on Spetses. I think we will go there on June 16 to explore. Do you (or you too Sophia and Stamatina) have a recommendation on a place to stay? Todd :D
You may prefer to consider making only a day-trip to Spetses. I took my two children there for a change, and they couldn't wait to get back. Hydra is the Venice of Greece and everywhere else, with the possible exception of Symi, pales into insignificance. Spetses really isn't comparable to Hydra in any way, unless you are a fan of John Fowles, in which case you should travel down the coast to the west and see the private school at which he taught in the fifties and which formed the backdrop for his brilliant book The Magus (which I would also recommend as holiday reading for anyone coming to Greece).
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Dem

Re: ATTENTION! TIMETABLES FOR HYDRA-PIREUS NOW AVAILABLE

Post by Dem »

And that's exactly what I do when in Spetses.
In front of the Anargyreios School where Fowles
taught is an organized beach that has even jet-skis.

Combine this with a coffee/breakfast at Poseidoneion
five stars hotel and a meal in one of the little tavernas
with the tables exactly next to the wave
and Spetses will not dissapoint you.

Alas, Hydra is unique and as Hydriot says only Symi
can come close to it and I would add also Molyvos in Mytilene.

Dem
Athens 2008, Prague 2009, Paris 2012
KerstinP

Post by KerstinP »

Hey, that's exactly what I do when in Spetses, too! :-)

But, Demetri, you forgot to mention to take an ouzo at that beautiful strand-bar.
spetses5.JPG
spetses7.JPG
Dem

Post by Dem »

Right!
I stand corrected :-)

Dem
Athens 2008, Prague 2009, Paris 2012
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

I don't like to compare places, personally I love all the Argosaronic islands, I have wonderful memories and I think each one has its own beauty.In my opinion, there are many other islands or places in the mainland that have kept their authenticity.
Todd, I always enjoy my visit at Spetses, I haven't stayed at this hotel but I know that the owners respected the industrial history of this building (it was a textile mill, and till 1960's electricity and ice factory), so it sounds interesting:-)

Sophia
Last edited by Sophia on Fri May 06, 2011 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Todd - I think the answer must be to go to Spetses and make your own mind up. Personally I found Spetses a little bit "bland" - very pretty but it didn't really grab me, unlike Hydra which I loved at first sight (or was that just the Leonard connection speaking to me?) On the other hand I have a friend who thinks Spetses is paradise on earth but who doesn't care for Hydra. Each to their own.

Wendy
jazz4111

Post by jazz4111 »

I have a quick story regarding the Hydra/Spetses discussion. In 1976 I was staying for the Fall season on Hydra with my 6 month old daughter. Coming back from Athens one day, I encountered a young American couple taking a holiday after the husband had completed a 3 month International residency program in pediatric at an Athens hospital. They were on their way to Spetses. Over a bottle of shared wine on the ferry (there were NO hydrofoils in those days) I tried to convince them they would enjoy Hydra much more. I told them what a mgical, transformative place it was. In a moment of bibulous enthusiasm, I even invited them to join me in the large house (Kellogg house) I was renting. They looked dubious at my spontaneous hospitality and I waved goodbye to them from the port as they continued on to Spetses. Next evening while shopping, who should I encounter in a local cafe, but the young American couple. "Oh," they said, "you were right, Spetses is nice but can't hold a candle to Hydra!" Laughing in assent, I said, "come and have lunch with me on my terrace and you can see how people on lovely Greek islands live during the Fall & Winter." And they did. They were planning on spending three more days on Hydra and then were off to his next posting in London for another 3 months.
So imagine my shock when I encountered the wife at a port-side cafe four days later, accompanied by a young French painter. "Oh," she said, "I really need to talk to you! You were right about this place! It is magical! I got so tired of schedules and hospitals and constant studies with my husband. I met Pierre here and he invited me to spend the winter with him (she was very attractive) and so I sent my husband on by himself. I don't know what he'll tell our parents, but I'm staying here!"
I found that to be a very typical Hydra experience, but couldn't help but feeling if I'd only kept quiet on the boat, and let them go on to Spetses they might still be happily married!
Jazz
Laura

Post by Laura »

That is indeed a lot to have on your conscience, Jazz! ;-)
Laura
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

1.jpg
I liked Spetses for the beach-combing and Bouboulina...
1.jpg
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Yes, Bouboulina is probably the most famous Spetsiot. For those not in the know, she was a female patriot who made a major contribution to the Greek War of Independence -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laskarina_Bouboulina . Hydra contributed the bulk of the revolutionary Greek navy, followed by Spetses, followed by Psara. An amazing woman.

Incidentally, here on Hydra we have the longest continuously running merchant marine academy in the world!

Anne, I am intrigued by your Location: 'moored'. Is that a relationship statement? ;-)
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, Jazz... I've JUST not read that wonderful [interest value, at least; not so necessarily otherwise... depending on perspectives of those involved] ~MAJOR transitions. That's almost a 3-minute story winner for NPR's occasional contest :D .

I love the photos, Anne!! Give me that beach-combing plate's contents 8) .
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”