Sligo-Help for newbies.

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
MollyO

Re: Sligo-Help for newbies.

Post by MollyO »

carlowmike wrote:Irish Times, 11th February 2011.
Lissadell owners to appeal the ruling of High Court.
THE OWNERS of Lissadell House in Sligo, who could face legal costs running into millions of euro, are hoping for an early hearing of their appeal to the Supreme Court. They are appealing the High Court’s rejection of their claim that no public rights of way exist across certain routes in the historic estate, it was stated yesterday.
Costs of the case, which could be as high as €6 million, were yesterday awarded to Sligo County Council against the owners, barristers Constance Cassidy and Edward Walsh.
The court was told the council had made several attempts in correspondence with the couple to resolve the litigation which, its barrister said, it could not afford.
Mr Justice Bryan McMahon has put a stay on the costs order on the basis that the couple’s lawyers will seek an expedited hearing of their appeal to the Supreme Court.
Brian Murray SC, for the couple, said although it was taking up to three years for the Supreme Court to hear appeals, he hoped this one could be heard within a year, not because the owners wanted it heard as soon as possible but also because it was a matter that related to rights of way “throughout the country generally”.
The couple had claimed four routes through the 410-acre estate were not subject to any public rights of way but the judge upheld the council’s arguments that they were. When the case came back before the judge yesterday, he awarded the council the full costs of the case.
Mr Murray sought a stay on the costs order but John Rogers SC, for the council, opposed a stay given the history of the case.
Counsel referred to correspondence between the parties last year in which the council sought a resolution of the matter to avoid high legal costs. This included a written offer from the council to the owners to settle on the basis of their acknowledgment that the “sea route” through the estate was a public right of way, counsel said.
The councillors themselves had also asked the manager to enter into discussions with the owners after the litigation started and this showed a willingness on the defendant’s side to try to resolve the case, counsel said.
The case had caused “enormous costs” for the council which provides public services with limited and diminishing resources, Mr Rogers said.
It had been highlighted to the owners, in the correspondence, that the council did not want litigation “and in effect could not afford it”. In the event of an appeal, the council would have to bear costs already incurred in defending this matter and of the counterclaim against the owners.
Mr Rogers said the judge should also take into account that the case had “ballooned” after assertions were made of some type of collusion or conspiracy between council officials and locals. The judge had found no substance to that claim, counsel said.
Mr Murray, for the owners, said his clients were of the view there were no rights of way and had exercised their constitutional right to litigate the matter.
Mr Justice McMahon said it was a very unusual case and on balance he would grant a stay on the basis that the owners would seek an expedited hearing from the Supreme Court.
I was there on Monday last - glorious day. It was great to be up in my home area (S Donegal/N Sligo). It is really strange to drive up through the last barrier (on final part of avenue up to house) and to be utterly and totally fenced in, with so many Private Property Keep Out signs. Just to let people know - if you do drive up this way towards the house, you have to keep going along the narrow laneway that has now been created and continue on out the other gate at the far side of the estate. No room to turn around.
It is very sad - and I do hope something happens to shift all this. I have been able to go up around this house all my life - would never have gone too near as it would have been intrusive. I think all locals would respect the privacy of the house at all times. Here's hoping for that shift - the whole area is, after all, such a magical place ... under bare Ben Bulben's head ...

MollyO
lonndubh

Post by lonndubh »

MollyO wrote:I think all locals would respect the privacy of the house at all times. Here's hoping for that shift - the whole area is, after all, such a magical place ... under bare Ben Bulben's head ...
Yes here's hoping Mary
jeney

Post by jeney »

by jdhayes » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:30 pm

"Does anyone know if this whole thread can be downloaded as a unit so that we can have it to look back on in later years?If yes maybe you could let me know how to go about it.
Many thanks."
The same message was posted on the Sligo Report thread. I thought it would be great to have these two threads stored somewhere.
I think all threads are filed on the forum.
I am sure that July was mentioned as the date for realease of the new album, but I may be wrong !.
Dublin 22nd July 2009. Sligo 31st July and 1st August 2010.
I dreamed about you, baby
It was just the other night.
shoreofneed

Post by shoreofneed »

by carlowmike » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:29 am
A list for 2011 proposed tours reads something like this ...
Kings of Leon----James Taylor-----Neil Young----Elton John----Fleetwood Mac-----Miley Cyrus ----Justin Timberlake----Eric Clapton----Bob Seger----Neil Diamond----Madonna----Guns N' Roses---Rolling Stones ----Billy Joel----Dolly Parton----The Killers----Prince ----Take That----REM----Phil Collins----Rufus Wainwright----The Who.
Bob is not mentioned here although he seems to have done Ireland several times a year for the last 50 years
nor is Leonard listed ...but he was not mentioned this time last year either and we all know what happened next (otherwise it's a long wait till April 2012)~~~
forget the rest ,
what are "we" to wait for until April 2012 :?: :)
Phoenix, New York MSG, Las Vegas.
To The Shores of Need
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

I saw Chuck Berry on TV yesterday (Basel) at the age of 81!. Let's hope LC keeps going that long and longer. Chuck sounded and played like a 30y.o.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
jeney

Post by jeney »

forget the rest ,
what are "we" to wait for until April 2012
Waiting for the miracle { Leonard } to come { to Ireland ? } :)
Dublin 22nd July 2009. Sligo 31st July and 1st August 2010.
I dreamed about you, baby
It was just the other night.
lissadellfanclub

Post by lissadellfanclub »

Most locals are with the owners of Lissadell on this - ie: locals whose families go back for centuries in the locality and know the score. A dangerous incident and some anti-social behaviour led the owners to close one gate. This gate was used as a short cut to the beach in recent years by a few people who built houses next to the gate. But it's just a few who made claims and the judge unfortunately found in their favour. But the result of his decision - ie: turning the place into a public park - is very much against the wishes of the the silent majority in the area. Most locals are devastated and will never go next or near the place as long as the owners are unhappy. We locals have great respect for the family - they are our neighbours and friends and support them 100%. A handful of people have really spoiled it for everyone. Important point is that the owners never blocked access to Lissadell beach - the gate they closed was a shortcut right by their front door and through their yard. The beach, which is some distance away, is public and has always been fully accessible by a separate proper road. Some posts here suggest otherwise - so it must be clarified that there was never a problem with beach access. The access in question was some distance from the beach and related to invasion of privacy and genuine security and safety issues which arose close to their house.
lissadellfanclub

Post by lissadellfanclub »

Grainnewhaoil - just to clarify an important point as you may not be familiar with the core problem at Lissadell - the owners of the Lissadell Estate did not in any way block off access to Lissadell Beach. The beach is public and is fully accessible along the main access road to the beach. The dispute centres on the closure of a gate which was used by some as a short-cut to the beach - however this short-cut goes right by the house and it was closed off by the owners following a dangerous incident and anti-social behaviour. Perfectly reasonable most would think. But a small number were put out by this and they successfully claimed public rights of way. The vast majority of locals have always supported the owners and are very upset and appalled that a small group have succeeded in wrecking what was a truly lovely place to visit - the owners did a magnificent job on the house, exhibitions, shop, cafe, walking trails, gardens, etc. Lissadell Beach can still be enjoyed of course. But as long as the owners of the Lissadell Estate are unhappy, vast majority of locals will stay away from the privately-owned part of Lissadell.
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike »

by lissadellfanclub » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:19 pm
Most locals are with the owners of Lissadell on this - ie: locals whose families go back for centuries in the locality and know the score. A dangerous incident and some anti-social behaviour led the owners to close one gate. This gate was used as a short cut to the beach in recent years by a few people who built houses next to the gate. But it's just a few who made claims and the judge unfortunately found in their favour. But the result of his decision - ie: turning the place into a public park - is very much against the wishes of the the silent majority in the area. Most locals are devastated and will never go next or near the place as long as the owners are unhappy. We locals have great respect for the family - they are our neighbours and friends and support them 100%.
Thank you lissadellfanclub,
another member was up in Lissadell last week - Forum members will be pleased to learn that our tree is thriving and the Leonard Cohen Plaque remains in place and accessible.
We have a kinda mini reunion planned for London on Sunday next :idea: .
I am meeting Irena from Toronto / Montreal and some other Cohenites at Piccadily (Park Lane side ) at noon to walk in the Mayor's St. Patrick's Parade to Trafalgar Square.
After the parade we will have lunch, so any Cohnites in London on the day are welcome to join us.......they will be considered a "Honorary Irishperson" for a day and get to wear one of our sashes
:!: ;-)
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

Because of the hard times we are going through, maybe you should wear sackcloth and sashes!
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Enjoy the reunion Mick!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike »

Bob Dylan, 16th June, and Paul Simon, 21st June to appear at Cork Live At The Marquee.
Thanks to those of you who have contacted me regarding mini-meet-up in London,
Mayor's Parade starts at noon at Piccadilly (Park Lane side) -- look for the Carlow banner, (Section F. # 23)
Parade ends at Whitehall Place.
We can spend some time at the Trafalgar Square Irish music Festival before having lunch.
I hope to see some of you there ;-)
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
jeanne

Post by jeanne »

Hi Mike

Nary an Irishman in this clan....but we celebrate the day....my daughter makes a mean soda bread.
and I used to do a great jig...oh so long ago...

Have great fun...and enjoy...
jeanne
"there is a crack in everything.that's how the light gets in " Florence 2010 - las vegas 2010....hope for Hydra......Hydra no longer a hope......now a reality..
"when the gods want to punish you, they answer your prayers"
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

carlowmike wrote:Bob Dylan, 16th June, and Paul Simon, 21st June to appear at Cork Live At The Marquee.

What? no mention of Tom Jones on the 19th!! he's there too! woah a woah a woah woahhhh ohhhhhh! :D
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all LCForum members. Let's hope an Irish concert will be announced today! (Hope springs eternal...)

Return to “The World Tour 2010”